Roy Brooks - Understanding

mjzee

13 minutes ago, sidewinder said:

JazzMessengers had a better price than that, all gone now though. That title quite elusive on vinyl here in the UK on RSD for some odd reason. Same with the Hargrove/Miller and Charles Lloyd.

Bill Evans still MIA.

JazzMessengers did have the Harold Land on vinyl, not sure if they still have it in stock.

It is getting to the stage where one needs to take out a mortgage on the house when these release batches come round. I’m sure that in the last year or so what used to be £15 an LP is now an average around the £30 mark. 

I checked out Jazzmessengers but must have been too late :( 

That does not only go for new vinyl. The prices for used vinyl get more ridiculous with the minute.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

43 minutes ago, Pim said:

I checked out Jazzmessengers but must have been too late :( 

That does not only go for new vinyl. The prices for used vinyl get more ridiculous with the minute.

They had some in just after RSD but can’t have been many. 

I find myself buying less vinyl these days - I guess the pandemic put a premium on costs. More than happy with CDs for most things these days.

Edited by sidewinder

First impressions from LP1 is that sound quality is pretty good considering the provenance - recorded quite hot.  Shaw cackles with great gusto into the mike - very much on form. Must have been great to see this one live.

At times the feel sort of reminds me of Morgan’s ‘Live at the Lighthouse’, then I am reminded of the common factor - Harold Mabern.

Edited by sidewinder

2 hours ago, sidewinder said:

First impressions from LP1 is that sound quality is pretty good considering the provenance - recorded quite hot.  Shaw cackles with great gusto into the mike - very much on form. Must have been great to see this one live.

At times the feel sort of reminds me of Morgan’s ‘Live at the Lighthouse’, then I am reminded of the common factor - Harold Mabern.

And they were recorded within four months of each other.

This was definitely recorded "hot," but it doesn't take away from Shaw's brilliance. Some in-the-zone trumpet playing on this set. For Woody Shaw fans it's a must-have. I actually bought it for Carlos Garnett, but it's Shaw I can't stop listening to. His chops are in peak form.

8 hours ago, bertrand said:

What photos are in the booklet of the Understanding CD?

Various colour and B&W images mainly from the CTS Images archive of each band member, more B&W ones of Brooks. One blurred colour photo of  Brooks in action at Left Bank on the inner sleeve of the LP set.

8 hours ago, sidewinder said:

Various colour and B&W images mainly from the CTS Images archive of each band member, more B&W ones of Brooks. One blurred colour photo of  Brooks in action at Left Bank on the inner sleeve of the LP set.

I saw a Yearbook yesterday in the Left Bank collection at UMBC that had a page of photos from the gig. That might be one of them. The photographer Bob Torrence liked to use that blurring effect a lot, I guess to make sure they looked like they were in action and not posed.

Normally, the producers would have access to all the Yearbooks since John Fowler has a complete set. There are some amazing photos in there: Lee Morgan, Jackie McLean, Tyrone Washington with Horace Silver... The originals are probably lost...

I am not interested in "high intensity level" nowadays (not sure I ever really was) and so having heard a full track on Bandcamp I am quite comfortable passing on this ... glad I got the Harold Land at the Penthouse though. That hits the spot for me, way more than "intensity".

19 minutes ago, Dan Gould said:

I am not interested in "high intensity level" nowadays (not sure I ever really was) and so having heard a full track on Bandcamp I am quite comfortable passing on this ... glad I got the Harold Land at the Penthouse though. That hits the spot for me, way more than "intensity".

I have to say - both are good. Love the intensity of ‘Understanding’ but not an album to relax to, I’ve got to admit. 

Reel/Cory W. did a fine job on both releases.

Edited by sidewinder

3 hours ago, sidewinder said:

The blurred photo of Brooks is just of himself on drums with the Left Bank Jazz Society banner behind him. To be honest, it looks pretty amateur !

Does it say that Robert Torrence is the photographer? This does sound like one of the ones I saw yesterday...