Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mjzee

Roy Brooks - Understanding

95 posts in this topic

26 minutes ago, bertrand said:

Does it say that Robert Torrence is the photographer? This does sound like one of the ones I saw yesterday...

Says just ‘photo on right, courtesy Raheem Brooks’.

Hmmm...So maybe they did not look at the page of photos in that Yearbook.

Just finished listening to the first disc.  This sounds like a Woody Shaw date - he dominates the music.  It's very high intensity (isn't all Shaw music?), and the tracks are endless (did Shaw ever record 5-minute performances?) but he is in good form.  The surprise for me is Carlos Garnett - that guy can play!  I wasn't expecting much because his work with Miles was so non-distinguished, but I think that was the role into which Miles often shoehorned his saxophonists in the '70's (Liebman, Fortune, Stubblefield, or Azar Lawrence didn't come off much better).  Here, Garnett blends well with Shaw.  Mabern somehow fits the music's context but still sounds like himself; he might be making the music more grounded.

The package is designed to look like a Muse release, down to the shade of blue on the label.  The only thing missing is a reference to Blanchris. 

15 minutes ago, mjzee said:

(did Shaw ever record 5-minute performances?)

The answer, then, is yes, he did.

Carlos Garnett can PLAY.  Saw him and his group at the Ethical Society in the 70's.  He tore the roof off the place.  Also an excellent writer, including the sublime Mother of the Future".

On 9/1/2021 at 3:49 PM, mjzee said:

This sounds like a Woody Shaw date - he dominates the music.  It's very high intensity ...

Agreed. Would have been great to be there in person.

Got this in the post late last night, and only got to listen to most of the 2nd disc…

And holy mother of god, is this thing INTENSE. I don’t necessarily mean that in a bad way (or necessarily a good way either), at least not yet — as I had it on at a really low volume level (my wife had just gone to bed in the next room)…

But, jesus, this this is in-your-f’n-face!!

Yeah it’s definitely intense. Gave it a couple of spins but can’t say I could really connect with the music yet. But won’t give up :)

For me, the most surprising thing so far on this recording is Carlos Garnett.  He was on fire (especially on the last 2 tunes).  I unjustly considered Carlos was not a player on par with Woody Shaw, but I was wrong and I gladly stand corrected.

Edited by mhatta

"Intense" is how I remember good live jazz always being. It was kind of the point of being there listening. You can be politemusic at home.

For that matter, it was the same way with all the funk and blues bands too. 

Like that song said, if you ain't gonna get it on, take your dead ass home.

9 hours ago, Rooster_Ties said:

Got this in the post late last night, and only got to listen to most of the 2nd disc…

And holy mother of god, is this thing INTENSE. I don’t necessarily mean that in a bad way (or necessarily a good way either), at least not yet — as I had it on at a really low volume level (my wife had just gone to bed in the next room)…

But, jesus, this this is in-your-f’n-face!!

I need to pick this up.  Listened to it on Spotify and it was really good.

If we want to talk about adverse and pernicious effects of the post 197x Young Lion movement, it was on “straight ahead jazz” which became way more polished and boring.

Yeah, jazz that respects your space.

Fuck that!

had it for a few weeks now & the intensity/fire (everyone, not just Woody) has really knocked me out - played it a number of times - not the kind of music that grows on you (for me) but blew me away immediately - so so good!!!  A must listen

1 hour ago, romualdo said:

had it for a few weeks now & the intensity/fire (everyone, not just Woody) has really knocked me out - played it a number of times - not the kind of music that grows on you (for me) but blew me away immediately - so so good!!!  A must listen

+1

Felt a similar "intensity" not that long ago at the Kamasi Washington & Band concert here in Brisbane (2019 IIRC)

On 9/11/2021 at 7:30 PM, JSngry said:

Yeah, jazz that respects your space.

Fuck that!

It’s worse than that - jazz that can’t think of anything as embarrassing as getting people too excited

Edited by Guy Berger

Condom Jazz!!!!

On 9/10/2021 at 7:49 PM, JSngry said:

"Intense" is how I remember good live jazz always being. It was kind of the point of being there listening.

As you know I have been spending a lot of time on a monthly basis with a certain someone's live performances. Its very good-to-outstanding live jazz but I would not call it "intense" and certainly not "intense" in the way its being used to describe this show.  Also no songs that are 18-22 minutes long, FWIW. And it doesn't lack for excitement. Just not what I think when I hear "intense".

To me this brand of "intense" grows out of Coltrane and a few other artists, and personally I can deal in small doses only.

15 minutes ago, Dan Gould said:

As you know I have been spending a lot of time on a monthly basis with a certain someone's live performances. Its very good-to-outstanding live jazz but I would not call it "intense" and certainly not "intense" in the way its being used to describe this show.  Also no songs that are 18-22 minutes long, FWIW. And it doesn't lack for excitement. Just not what I think when I hear "intense".

To me this brand of "intense" grows out of Coltrane and a few other artists, and personally I can deal in small doses only.

Different type of intensity. It certainly still holds my mental and physical attention, the way all good live music does. I leave feeling like I've had a personal interaction with somebody, not that I was just in a club with some guy playing background music.