When do you have too many records(CD's)

Hardbopjazz

Do you know when you have too many records and CD's? When you post a thread wondering if a record will get reissued because you want it or looking for it, and then you go home and discover you already have it.

Now has anyone else done this before, forget they already own a particular record?

At least I never buy it a second time.

I have all the cd's that I will ever need.

Now I have to buy the latest Legacy Ellington reissues, then place an order for Chuck Nessa's Warne Marsh cd and the Uptown Parker (whenever it comes out), plus Mosaic's Mulligan Concert Band and the Adams/Pullen select later this year,........... Come to think of it I haven't been in the used cd stores for awhile. Never know what great finds might turn up. :rolleyes:

Prior to '97, I had my record inventory under control. In that year, however, I joined the BMG record club and I started working for Borders, where they give employees promo copies of new CDs.

There were a couple of times when I accidentally took home a promo of a CD I already had a promo of.

I no longer work for Borders, and I haven't ordered a CD from BMG in a year. But the damage is done. I could go another five years without buying another CD, just opening the ones I already have. That's too many CDs!

Edited by GA Russell

I've gone past my "too many" stage already and I'm still buying stuff. I think I've slowed down some though.

The only way for me to completely stop is to replace the addiction with another. Forget stopping it altogether. I can go back to spending money on books or something else.

I have bought cds that I already own several times by error. Haven't done so lately.

2001-2003 I really cut back on buying CDs and going to shows. As for shows, it started by just showing up for friends (aka "networking", but I mean that in a friendly way. I like to check out what my friends are doing), and eventually I really didn't even have time for that!

This year I started buying CDs again and I'm ahead of my quarterly budget for CDs. :wacko:

It's been a few years, but I'm back to buying CDs like pre-2001. Maybe this forum is a bad influence? :blink:

Hey, look at how much time I spend here!

7/4,

You actually have a budget for CD purchases, how did you come up with that? By that, I mean how did you determine what you would spend each month or year (or day) on music!

Mark

I think budget is the wrong term. I think I should have wrote qty. At my peak it's about 50 titles a quarter or 200 a year.

I work with databases as a pro.

:rfr

I've purchased CD that I already owned several times. In almost every case the old one hadn't been opened yet. Now I enter every new CD in the database before listening to it and I never buy a new CD without a paper copy of the database. Never except for yesterday, but I was pretty sure I didn't have that one already, and this time I was right.

Has anyone besides me cut down on their cd buying because they're buying some things via downloads and keeping them on their computers and i-pods? I know the sounds not quite as good but I rarely get to hear things under optimum conditions anyway. And my hearings shot because of age, too many rock concerts and too much time spent on mixing stages.

The concept of everything being available all the time really changes the concept of collecting, be it music, literature or films.