Were there any pre-Connoisseur series single-CD releases of (then) previously unreleased Blue Note sessions (apart from Mosaics)

Rooster_Ties

Just now, Dub Modal said:

Add the second side of Quebec’s Easy Living as well as it had concurrent LP and CD releases in ‘87. 

Hey you might win the prize if that one had an LP and CD at the same time. These others all went with LP first and CD two years or more later.

36 minutes ago, Dan Gould said:

Hey you might win the prize if that one had an LP and CD at the same time. These others all went with LP first and CD two years or more later.

An LP & a CD at the same time, man

36c.jpg

As well the CD has two tracks the LP does not. 

Edited by Dub Modal

14 minutes ago, sidewinder said:

How about Lee Morgan ‘Standards’? That wasn’t issued on the LT, brown bag series etc. on vinyl.

Oh good call. That adds the Three Sounds "standards" as well. What was the third one? I could swear there was one wasn't there?

3 minutes ago, Dan Gould said:

Oh good call. That adds the Three Sounds "standards" as well. What was the third one? I could swear there was one wasn't there?

Sonny Clark's? Only released before that as Blues in the Night (or Trio Vol 3) in Japan on LP. 

Oh, and Grant Green's Standards. Japan first with LP, then US CD. 

30 minutes ago, Dan Gould said:

Yes, The Three Sounds ‘Standards’ crossed my mind as well.

I was wondering also if Jean Luc Ponty’s ‘Live at Dontes’ counted as well but some of the tracks were on that Ponty brown bag twofer.

Edited by sidewinder

1 hour ago, Dub Modal said:

Sonny Clark's? Only released before that as Blues in the Night (or Trio Vol 3) in Japan on LP. 

Oh, and Grant Green's Standards. Japan first with LP, then US CD. 

Oh that's right I think Michael got the idea of the standard series from the Sonny Clark and Grant Japan issues? So if there can't be prior LPs involved than the Lee and the Sounds are the only ones that fit the OPs (frankly non-sensical, but it's been fun to look things up while I should be working) question.

7 minutes ago, Dan Gould said:

Oh that's right I think Michael got the idea of the standard series from the Sonny Clark and Grant Japan issues? So if there can't be prior LPs involved than the Lee and the Sounds are the only ones that fit the OPs (frankly non-sensical, but it's been fun to look things up while I should be working) question.

Yeah, this gets me away from spreadsheets...also of note is that the Green Japan LP was first released under a different title, "Remembering..." just as the Clark, before they both became "Standards" in the US. Varying cover art as well, with the Japanese LPs being more interesting than the US Reid Miles tribute attempts. 

Edited by Dub Modal

Then you have a non-Conn, non-Rare Groove live release like Dexter's The Squirrel released after both of those series had started. CD first in '97. Probably outside of the parameters of this question due to it not really being a vaulted item. @Rooster_Tiesweigh in on that...

@Dan Gould here's another Standards: 

R-8611675-1565883166-5142.jpeg.jpg

All unreleased after the first 5 tracks. US domestic CD first in '98. 

Edited by Dub Modal

On 3/25/2021 at 10:32 AM, mjzee said:

In the beginning, yes, but mid-2000s they also did first releases (I don't count Mosaic boxes as "prior releases"; for one thing, the Conns required designing covers that never existed before):

?u=https%3A%2F%2Fi.ebayimg.com%2Fimages%

But I don't think this was even on a Mosaic:

?u=https%3A%2F%2Fi.ebayimg.com%2Fimages%

I think the overriding point of the Conn series was that they were limited editions, made for a smaller audience (what one might call "connoisseurs").

I remember that Concord tried something similar with a limited-edition series of OJCs - Tadd Dameron's Fontainbleau was one of them.  But then they never took those titles out of print!

The Jimmy Smith was part of a 1999 mini subseries of sessions that had never been released in any form. In total it was:

Jimmy Smith - Cool Blues
Bobby Hutcherson - The Kicker
Dizzy Reece - Comin' On
Lou Donaldson - Man With A Horn
Grant Green - Blues For Lou
Art Blakey - Drums Around The Corner
v/a - The Lost Sessions 

I'm glad to have them all, but imo only the Reece stands up on its own; the rest are nice but a bit below average vs. the leaders' other output.

35 minutes ago, colinmce said:

The Jimmy Smith was part of a 1999 mini subseries of sessions that had never been released in any form. In total it was:

Jimmy Smith - Cool Blues
Dizzy Reece - Comin' On
v/a - The Lost Sessions 

I'm glad to have them all, but imo only the Reece stands up on its own; the rest are nice but a bit below average vs. the leaders' other output.

Cool Blues was released on vinyl as part of the LT series.  The CD was notable and welcome because it was speed-corrected.

R-1310721-1362933348-1390.jpeg.jpg

42 minutes ago, colinmce said:

Jimmy Smith - Cool Blues
Dizzy Reece - Comin' On
v/a - The Lost Sessions 

The 1999 RVG CD reissue of Jimmy Smith's "Cool Blues" was the second time it was released on CD in the US. The first time was in 1990:

R-3097431-1315617587.jpeg?bucket=discogs

Those other titles were released in a special Connoisseur batch that was made of all unreleased material.

• 2 weeks later...

Wasn´t there a Connoisseur CD of "The Lost Sessions" . 

I missed that, but heard later that it has rejected Dameron Sessions from 1961, I think even Sam Rivers is on it. But somewhere I heard or read that it was  rejected because the ensemble passages were a mess. 

That´s really a pity and a shame since BN really gave the artists time to rehearse properly and why didn´t Dameron, who always had the best arrangements and ensembles fail on it, more so since it seems he really had´nt much work in the early 60´s. 

The only Dameron album that came out then "Magic Touch" was a big dissapointment for me, since Dameron didn´t play piano. Some may say Dameron was not the greatest pianist, but I love his unique style, it makes me happy to listen to it. Why did Bill Evans play on that. He maybe fine for those who are his biggest fans and there are millions, but it has nothing to do with Tadd Dameron.....

8 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

Wasn´t there a Connoisseur CD of "The Lost Sessions" . 

I missed that, but heard later that it has rejected Dameron Sessions from 1961, I think even Sam Rivers is on it. But somewhere I heard or read that it was  rejected because the ensemble passages were a mess. 

That´s really a pity and a shame since BN really gave the artists time to rehearse properly and why didn´t Dameron, who always had the best arrangements and ensembles fail on it, more so since it seems he really had´nt much work in the early 60´s. 

The only Dameron album that came out then "Magic Touch" was a big dissapointment for me, since Dameron didn´t play piano. Some may say Dameron was not the greatest pianist, but I love his unique style, it makes me happy to listen to it. Why did Bill Evans play on that. He maybe fine for those who are his biggest fans and there are millions, but it has nothing to do with Tadd Dameron.....

There was a solo piano session recorded for Atlantic, IIRC, that was festroyed in the infamous fire. What a loss.