Covid Vaccination Poll Update

Covid Vaccination Poll as life returns to "normal"  

62 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

5 hours ago, jazzbo said:

It now seems weird to see unmasked persons everywhere I go--Ohio lifted mask regulation for those vaccinated. And there are a lot of liars out there saying they were vaccinated (less than half the Ohio adults have received at least one shot).

This sorta bugged me at first, but then I realized that those liars are only putting themselves at risk so it's their own damn fault if they get COVID. It's not on me.

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Played at my cousin's backyard memorial Saturday. I thought it would be a solemn affair where her friends would tearfully read touching poems written about her, through their KN95 masks.

Just the opposite- they were doing maskless shots the whole night! Then they found a mic, and some maniac followed my 'exquisite' Duke Ellington medley with "Sympathy For The Devil", reading the lyrics through his cell phone and screwing up the melody five times each line. My B-I-L, who runs a Health Center in MA, was the only one who came in with a mask, but it was off in 20 minutes, after he got crocked on shots, and he led the whoo whoos in SFTD. My aunt is a devout catholic, and I wondered how she was taking a song about satan being played at her daughter's Memorial celebration, but I was laughing so hard I didn't care. At the end of the night she slipped me $100 in cash, so i guess she didn't mind too much.

I found myself leading an Irish sing-a-long when a bagpipes player dressed in a kilt came up and played the real Irish schlitz. The wild revel petered out after 6.5 hours, and  five days later, and no word about any infections. I was at 98.6 last night, so it looks like the vax works.

FYI:

The governor of Texas ended the mask mandate March 2 and was called a neanderthal who was signing death warrants of Texans.

Since he ended the mask mandate Texas has crushed the virus about as well as any other state.

And there was no surge in cases afterwards (he also lifted restrictions on business capacities). This chart ends in early April but the rates have only gone lower and flatter since.

Screenshot 2021-06-04 062336.jpg

24 minutes ago, Dan Gould said:

FYI:

The governor of Texas ended the mask mandate March 2 and was called a neanderthal who was signing death warrants of Texans.

Since he ended the mask mandate Texas has crushed the virus about as well as any other state.

And there was no surge in cases afterwards (he also lifted restrictions on business capacities). This chart ends in early April but the rates have only gone lower and flatter since.

Screenshot 2021-06-04 062336.jpg

You may get paywalled, but the story behind these numbers is more complicated: https://www.dallasnews.com/news/politics/2021/06/02/abbott-says-biden-100-wrong-on-mask-mandate-and-owes-apology-for-neanderthal-gibe-whos-right/.

Those states that ended their mask mandates earlier than others got the benefit of having a vaccination program rapidly ramping while they did this. There is also the simple fact that vaccinated people who get COVID might not even know they got it and would certainly not get tested.

And let me ask a simple question: Isn't it a good thing that the Biden administration was wrong about this?

This situation is like two guys driving a car toward a wall. One person says to slow down and turn and the other says screw it and drives right up to the wall and locks up the brakes at the last second. Both avoided hitting the wall, but there is a safe way and a less-safe way to do it. Thank god for them that the brakes worked as designed.

I'm grateful I was able to be completely vaccinated and have been for nearly two months. It's wide open here in Ohio; in the area around me I see almost every adult unmasked, and yet less than 44 percent of Ohioans able to be vaccinated have had at least one shot.

Edited by jazzbo

I think (hope) that everyone is missing just how many people do have natural immunity from having had it. That is the best explanation (IMO) for the vastly lower rates we now see, even though vaccination efforts are running out of willing arms and skeptics (as opposed to the implacably opposed) now are free to run around without masks in most places.

Not saying that Texas is worse than any other state in this regards, but...do not trust their "official" numbers about too much of anything. The COVID data on the county level was very clear and reliable the first few months, but then a new state-imposed methodology was imposed, and...all of a sudden it got weird. That's all I feel like saying about that. I was already working from home and had sense enough to learn to live at home and to take all precautions when venturing out, so their "data" was no longer relevant for my lifestyle. Just saying, though, it got weird, and that was not comfortable. Just as the February Freeze-o-Rama was not comfortable, and for some of the same reasons - people saying shit that does not reflect reality.

Yeah, that’s my take on it too.
For a pretty long time, I’ve been happy (and surprised)
about the number of people in this city who have been
quite respectful when it comes to mask wearing and distancing.
When I look at the maps that show the breakdowns of cases
by local zip codes, I tend to nod and say “Yup, that makes total sense,”
because the hardest hit areas appear to be the ones of less educated
“free-dumb”ers and/or areas of extreme poverty. It really does involve
which of these you want to or have the ability to exercise more:
your emotional dependency or your analytical prowess.

21 hours ago, Dan Gould said:

I think (hope) that everyone is missing just how many people do have natural immunity from having had it. That is the best explanation (IMO) for the vastly lower rates we now see, even though vaccination efforts are running out of willing arms and skeptics (as opposed to the implacably opposed) now are free to run around without masks in most places.

Immunity from prior infection doesn't appear to be as robust or as long lasting as immunity through vaccination, so all those who've been infected are still recommended to get vaccinated

Both my parents got two shots now and I must say that it feels way more comfortable visiting them now. The vaccination campaign in the Netherlands seems to finally have reached an acceptable speed. They are now somewhere at birth year 1984 so it's probably a couple of weeks for me to get my first shot as I was born in 1990. 

1 hour ago, GregK said:

Immunity from prior infection doesn't appear to be as robust or as long lasting as immunity through vaccination, so all those who've been infected are still recommended to get vaccinated

I am not talking about whether they should get vaccinated. I am saying that the mask-opposed are more likely to have natural immunity and that is part of why we are, at this time, doing rather well, despite loosening or elimination of restrictions.

Also, I don't think the first half of your sentence is entirely accurate on either point.

1 hour ago, Big Beat Steve said:

Seems like you in the Netherlands are catching up indeed. Over here vaccination rates have accelerated too and are progressing better now (at last) but overall the entire organization on the national, regional and local level for the most part still is ONE HUGE MESS!

the rates are fine, pretty much exactly the EU average, not quite as fast as in Germany but almost... what I really like compared to Germany is that all seems relatively systematic, one birth year after the other, everyone gets their call when the time is up... while from Germany I heard so many more stories of people trying to get ahead, getting their first shot earlier already after calling in favors, travelling through half the country...(Also, compared to Germany, I expect that keeping track of who has already been vaccinated should work much better). I am from 1981 so I could make an appointment some time last week and well get the first shot next Thursday finally...