Covid Vaccination Poll Update

Covid Vaccination Poll as life returns to "normal"  

62 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

11 minutes ago, JSngry said:

I was in Kroger yesterday to pick up a prescription and the pharmacist told me to tell anybody/everybody that they had vaccine on hand and available for walk-ups.

Not that sounds good, and it is, but...Kroger had be advertising "availability at selected locations" for several months now and it's just now getting out there for general availability. So people went elsewhere, I'm sure. I know I did.

Walk up availability is encouraging for the implied extent of vaccination but a lot of that depends on local vaccine hesitancy/rejection rates. 

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Exactly.

And I do worry about oversupply, vaccines going to waste due to oversupply relative to demand at the current time. Corporate inefficiency, or not. I love my local Kroger pharmacy peoples, but this type of thing...lord only knows  what factors were involved and why.

Bottom line, people just need to get their shots where they can, when they can, And if they don't they should be locked up in interment camps until the threat has subsided.

History shows that's the American way, right?

On 4/12/2021 at 8:19 AM, Pim said:

What I am wondering about in the US: is the success with vaccinating nationwide or a there big differences between states?

There are non-trivial differences across and within states. A lot of the existing problems of income and racial inequality are also manifesting in vaccine uptake, plus attitudes toward vaccination are politically polarized.  Take a look here: https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/us/covid-19-vaccine-doses.html

On 4/12/2021 at 10:37 AM, Dan Gould said:

Walk up availability is encouraging for the implied extent of vaccination but a lot of that depends on local vaccine hesitancy/rejection rates. 

I think that's exactly right.  There's some areas of the country that within a few months will be close to herd immunity due to high vaccine uptake, and other areas where the illness continues to circulate for a long time.

Edited by Guy Berger

5 hours ago, Dan Gould said:

Mom now booked for Moderna #1 thru her Medicare Mill doctor for Friday, so she won't be the last 85+ person in Florida to be vaccinated, I guess.

She won't.  My 91 year old stepfather in Lakewood Ranch will.

Following a tip off on the neighbourhood WhatsApp yesterday, my daughter and husband (33 & 34) went to a mobile vaccinating unit that was in the district and prepared to treat over-30s and got their jabs, albeit of Astra Zeneca. Husband had a bad night afterwards with mini Covid symptoms, but both OK now. :tup

I cringe when I hear the word "jab" used to refer to a shot. And then I wince, too. But it's just such a violational mental image, like it's an act of impersonal hostility that they're giving you a shot to try and save your live. I've met nothing but warm, happy, personable people in this process and never felt like I was being "jabbed".

Who's that nurse from that movie, Nurse Ratchet? SHE would be a jabber. But she ain't been around here for any of this.

1 hour ago, JSngry said:

I cringe when I hear the word "jab" used to refer to a shot. And then I wince, too. But it's just such a violational mental image, like it's an act of impersonal hostility that they're giving you a shot to try and save your live. I've met nothing but warm, happy, personable people in this process and never felt like I was being "jabbed".

Who's that nurse from that movie, Nurse Ratchet? SHE would be a jabber. But she ain't been around here for any of this.

Ratched, not ratchet. (And Hobbs is the stuffed tiger).

15 minutes ago, John Tapscott said:

We are way behind in Canada. My wife and I (both 65) get the first shot (Pfizer) on April 22 then the second shot 105 days later. Too long. 

This statement really may not be accurate.

I was reading recently in the Times that this 28 day period wasn't chosen as a scientifically-based calculation of when second shot should be administered for maximum efficacy.  It was based on a realization that shorter time in between shots would mean a quicker Phase III testing and faster time to Emergency Use Authorization. 

We really do not know for sure that 28 days is optimal or something else is, or that the reaction to the second shot is stronger or weaker if it is given later. It's just that the data backing up the efficacy of these two-shot regimes is based on the results from 28 days in between.

12 minutes ago, Dan Gould said:

This statement really may not be accurate.

I was reading recently in the Times that this 28 day period wasn't chosen as a scientifically-based calculation of when second shot should be administered for maximum efficacy.  It was based on a realization that shorter time in between shots would mean a quicker Phase III testing and faster time to Emergency Use Authorization. 

We really do not know for sure that 28 days is optimal or something else is, or that the reaction to the second shot is stronger or weaker if it is given later. It's just that the data backing up the efficacy of these two-shot regimes is based on the results from 28 days in between.

Scientifically, it may or may not be accurate, but in a practical sense, 3.5 months seems too long.  

3 hours ago, JSngry said:

A word like vaccination cries out for a short form like jab. Can you suggest a monosyllabic alternative?

Occurs to me that jab, used all the time here, may not have the same currency in the US. Am I right?

P.S. Reading back over previous posts, I see that "shot" is more in favour in the lands to the west, even if my spelling of favour isn't. ;)

9 minutes ago, JSngry said:

yeah, shot. "Jab" is a boxing term, or a description of an insult.

transoceanic versions of the same language do indeed travel some odd paths!

And there are plenty of boxers in the UK.

Two countries divided by a common language. Just ask 'em to pronounce "aluminum". :g

3 minutes ago, Dan Gould said:

And there are plenty of boxers in the UK.

Two countries divided by a common language. Just ask 'em to pronounce "aluminum". :g

We'd pronounce it the same as you but wonder why you weren't saying "aluminium", the correct word for the metal concerned :g

When I first moved from Ethiopia to Swaziland and entered Waterford-Kamhlaba School, which was run by Sir Michael Stern (not Sir then) I lost points the first semster, considerable points, for my spelling--"or" instead of "our" and "er" instead of "re" etc. so much so that I was in the middle of the class at the end. That jolted me--I had never been anywhere but at or near the top of a class. So I reluctantly reversed all my American spelling, and was at the top of the class by the second semester. And then when I came back to America I had to reverse that spelling, but it was easier that way around!

So tomorrow, we have an hour drive to get vax'd a second time (🏴󠁵󠁳󠁭󠁡󠁿 "Team Moderna" 🏴󠁵󠁳󠁭󠁡󠁿) -
followed by an hour wait in line - followed by an hour drive back home, so I'm loading up some discs
(three of which are below) and getting ready to feel miserable later that night (what fun!).
Still, it's the best choice - and I can overindulge in 7+ hours of Firesign Theatre videos this weekend.

C5b2B8x.jpg

ThNeGrj.jpg

VpnWK8N.jpg

Edited by rostasi

Fauci just said the vaccines don't reach their full strength till two to SIX weeks after you receive them! Just the other day he said two to two and a half weeks. I'm glad I turned down a drummer friend's invitation to work on playing some arrangements he just bought for $40. I listened to them online; they weren't worth 40 cents, IMHO.