FM Radio Archive - Chicago Jazz Festival 1981 - and MUCH more

Dan Gould

Fantastic source of radio broadcasts, most jazz or blues:

https://archive.org/details/fmradioarchive?sort=-addeddate

Particularly check out the Jimmy Smith all-stars as the front line is LD and Bill Hardman plus Junior Cook.

And I've been wanting to find the Eddie Johnson-Paul Serrano quintet show ever since I first heard about it about a year ago.

You can stream or download MP3s and other things. Only been uploading since January and they were active this weekend, so a place to bookmark and check back, too.

Edit to clarify: A lot of recordings uploaded actually, and the further back you go the fewer jazz items. But a lot of solid jazz up in the past few months and some interesting ones further back too. 

Edited by Dan Gould

22 minutes ago, Dan Gould said:

If you helped book the Johnson/Serrano, then thank you.

Yes, that was just a couple months after we recorded "Indian Summer".

I also put together the Jimmy jam. It was a hoot negotiating with Jim and Lola.

Don't sleep on the Earl Warren set - Earle Warren-Alto Sax, Joe Newman-Trumpet, Buddy Tate-Tenor Sax, Dickie Wells-Trombone, Joe Johnson-Piano, Truck Parham-Bass, Gus Johnson-Drums.

17 minutes ago, Dan Gould said:

Oh yeah, the Warren for sure, plus the Basie/Joe Williams and Joe feature.

So was it your idea to get Junior Cook? Not who I would have been expecting, and very interested to hear when I get in the car to head to Naples this weekend.

I think the genius move on that wonderful Smith set was to get Ray Crawford.

28 minutes ago, Dan Gould said:

Oh yeah, the Warren for sure, plus the Basie/Joe Williams and Joe feature.

So was it your idea to get Junior Cook? Not who I would have been expecting, and very interested to hear when I get in the car to head to Naples this weekend.

I picked everyone in the band except the drummer - Jimmy wanted his guy when Blakey was unavailable, touring in Japan.

Lola answered the phone and wanted to use Stanley Turrentine and George Benson. I had a different idea - I wanted to recreate the BN jam sessions. Eventually Jimmy said "Woman, give me the phone - I understand what the man wants". Then we worked it out. There was some resistance to Ray Crawford for some problem in the past but Jimmy relented.

Edited by Chuck Nessa

5 hours ago, Chuck Nessa said:

I picked everyone in the band except the drummer - Jimmy wanted his guy when Blakey was unavailable, touring in Japan.

Listening again, I think Dixon was fine. BTW, I can't tell you what it was like to be in the audience for music like that. There were so many CJF highlights over the years, many of them as Chuck said shaped by him. And until I changed jobs at the paper I got to go back every night from Grant Park to Tribune Tower (now transformed into condos!!!) and write about what I'd heard.

I need to upload the Jaki Byard Chicago Jazz Festival broadcast from my archive of taped shows. I always hated it when the Chicago and Montreux / Detroit Jazz Festivals aired on the same weekend, so our station couldn't air both festivals. But Chicago announcers always did a better job, since they weren't prompted to gab for several minutes at the top of the hour, while a band was still playing. I always wonder who the airhead was who recommended this inane, useless chatter.

While exploring Archive.org, I ran across Jaki Byard's 1996 appearance on A Prairie Home Companion. 

He plays a medley of “Autumn in New York” and “Hello, Young Lovers,” then returns to play excerpts of his “Family Suite.”

Easily the highlight of the broadcast for me.

Edited by Ken Dryden

I listened to the Jimmy Smith All-stars while driving to Naples Friday night, Larry is right, Ray Crawford is great on this - but the whole front line sounds very good. Thanks again to Chuck for being the driving force behind the concept and personnel.

Now WBEZ has moved back to 1980 and have uploaded the Jay McShann Sextet ( Jay McShann-Piano, Budd Johnson-Tenor Sax, Claude Williams-Violin, Gene Ramey-Bass, Al Hibbler-Vocals, Gus Johnson-Drum) and Von Freeman - Paul Serrano ( Von Freeman-Alto Sax, Paul Serrano-Trumpet, John Young-Piano, Jim Atlas-Bass, George Hughes-Drums)

https://archive.org/details/jay-mc-shann-wbez-1980-chicago-jazz-festival

https://archive.org/details/cjf-1980-von-freeman-paul-serrano-wbez

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So this just popped up:

Jimi Hendrix 1969 KPFA Tapes by Alan Douglas : KPFA : Free Download, Borrow, and Streaming : Internet Archive

The Young/Hendrix Jam 14:49 caught my eye, of course. This one is halfway between the short version and the long version, lengthwise.

This has a date of 4/2/69, the Hendrix site claims 4/14/69. Is it possible there were TWO Hendrix/Young jams, two weeks apart? I will download and compare, but maybe someone knows off-hand what is the deal...

7 hours ago, Ken Dryden said:

Has anyone had succes downloading the Count Basie and Joe Williams sets from the Chicago Jazz Festival? I keep getting error messages, though I have had no problems with other downloads.

No trouble here, and I just downloaded both again to make sure. PM me if you still have trouble and I'll help get them to you.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...