Gene Perla's personal collection of recordings.

Hardbopjazz

3 hours ago, bertrand said:

That has to be 1971, not 1970. I assume these cannot be downloaded.

I used Audacity to record this show in real time. The chatter between those tracks and quality of sound implies this might be a studio recording. The last, untitled, composition might be "Will" by Miroslav Vitous, which appeared later in the 1970's on the Rypdal/Vitous/DeJohnette ECM album.

Edited by sambrasa
continued still

Must be exciting for fans of that era ... doesn't really thrill me but I do see what looks like significant chunk of recordings from Left Bank concerts led by Elvin.  I don't have the booklet handy for the George Coleman but was  Vernon Welsh the dude running the cassette off the soundboard?

Looking thru the other "Collections" its pretty sparse, this is the only guy with audio links for all, the other people hardly have any clips at all.  Noticed a Teddy Edwards, one or two Eddie Higgins, a Scott Hamilton.

By the way you don't have to stream it to record these clips live. Click on the play button, the player loads at the bottom of the page and then just click on the three dots at the far right. Brings up a download option.

5 hours ago, bertrand said:

That has to be 1971, not 1970. I assume these cannot be downloaded.

it's not rocket science, the filenames are of the form

https://www.jazzhistorydatabase.com/archives/gene-perla/audio/241%20Revolution.mp3

so if you want to download e.g. the track called "57 Improvisation 5" you just replace "241%20Revolution.mp3" in the above url by "57 Improvisation 5.mp3"

at least this worked for me.

1 hour ago, Niko said:

it's not rocket science, the filenames are of the form

https://www.jazzhistorydatabase.com/archives/gene-perla/audio/241%20Revolution.mp3

so if you want to download e.g. the track called "57 Improvisation 5" you just replace "241%20Revolution.mp3" in the above url by "57 Improvisation 5.mp3"

at least this worked for me.

Or as I noted, you can click on the extreme right of the audio player and choose "download" to get whatever file is playing.

Weather Report 'Improvisation 1' is 'Storm' from Odyssey of Iska.

I hear Airto on this track. and I think it is Mouzon, not Cobham. Could these be out-takes from the sessions for the first record, or maybe rehearsals?

The last tune is another take of 'Storm'.

Edited by bertrand

1 hour ago, bertrand said:

Weather Report 'Improvisation 1' is 'Storm' from Odyssey of Iska.

I hear Airto on this track. and I think it is Mouzon, not Cobham. Could these be out-takes from the sessions for the first record, or maybe rehearsals?

The last tune is another take of 'Storm'.

But that would confuse things even more, no? According to Brian Glasser's Zawinul biography, Airto did not participate on the 1st album recording sessions, and only added some vocals and percussion by overdub later. All the percussion instruments on original sessions were played by one Barbara Burton, who Zawinul chose not to credit.

Edited by sambrasa
grammar

6 hours ago, Niko said:

:) even easier (but doesn't seem to work with my system)... they're definitely not trying hard to discourage downloading

What are you talking about, didn't you read carefully that page you had to click "agree" before entering the collection page?

:g

1 hour ago, sambrasa said:

But that would confuse things even more, no? According to Brian Glasser's Zawinul biography, Airto did not participate on the 1st album recording sessions, and only added some vocals and percussion by overdub later. All the percussion instruments on original sessions were played by one Barbara Burton, who Zawinul chose not to credit.

Don Alias was also on the sessions. I did not know Airto was only overdubbed. Burton was also on the unissued Shorter record.

Maybe it is not Airto, but it sounds like the kind of sounds he made on Live/Evil. What do you guys think?

8 minutes ago, Dan Gould said:

What are you talking about, didn't you read carefully that page you had to click "agree" before entering the collection page?

:g

You mean this disclaimer?

The Jazz History Database is a service of the Massachusetts Association for Jazz Education. All materials have been processed and edited by faculty and students of Worcester Polytechnic Institute in Worcester, MA. All items are used with the permission of contributors and are edited to remove copyrighted content for which permission is not explicitly provided. The content in this site is provided for non-profit personal or scholarly use. No content may be resold, republished, or otherwise used for profit without the express permission of its respective copyright owner.

Just did a quick scan...where do you hear Airto?

The heads on the two "Seventh Arrows" are pretty slow/tentative. Definitely a very early run-through, perhaps indeed the very first? Or at least the first full run-through once getting the general lay of the notes?

"123 Unknown"...i think that tape is running waaaay fast!!!

46 minutes ago, sambrasa said:

Changed the speed -30% in Audacity and now it makes so much more sense. :tup

Something sounded weird...

1 hour ago, JSngry said:

Just did a quick scan...where do you hear Airto?

The heads on the two "Seventh Arrows" are pretty slow/tentative. Definitely a very early run-through, perhaps indeed the very first? Or at least the first full run-through once getting the general lay of the notes?

"123 Unknown"...i think that tape is running waaaay fast!!!

On the third piece, which is Storm. I hear those kind of Bird sounds he makes on Live Evil. I could be wrong.

1 hour ago, jazzbo said:

You mean a Cuica? He's not the only one who uses that. I heard Don Alias do that live once with Jaco Pastorius. 

Anyway, nice to know there's more from that first LP session.

Yes, that's it. It could be someone else playing it but is vey characteristic of Airto. In any case, I hear it and I doubt it is Cobham or Mouzon playing it. So there is an uncredited percussionist, at least to my ears.

The Left Bank Yearbook says that Hank Jones was playing with Elvin on 4/1/73, but I don't hear a piano. Maybe he cancelled. Edit: OK, he is on the later tracks. Interesting addition to an otherwise piano-less band.

Are some of these MP3s edited?

Edited by bertrand