Gene Perla's personal collection of recordings.

Hardbopjazz

There are so many private tapes out there. So glad Gene went this route for all jazz fans to enjoy!

I would do this for Left Bank if it were up to me. A lot of those are sub-par audio quality, by design. The artists were told that the recordings were 'for the archives'. This site is an 'archive'. Someone's basement or a record label vault - not an archive.

Stanford has a Monterey jazz archive. I love the principle of this, but you can only audition on-site, which I totally understand but am of course frustrated by. I plan to drop in if I ever do go back to California.

Bertrand. 

Edited by bertrand

• 1 year later...
On 3/31/2021 at 2:34 PM, Daniel A said:

Who is the "Pete Rose" playing tenor sax on the Chick Corea track? It sounds late 60s-ish.

Listening now to the Corea tracks, and am very curious about Pete Rose on tenor and John Dense on drums.  Google searches reveal nothing on either.  These guys sound too assured and professional to be unknowns.  Anyone here willing to venture a guess?

17 minutes ago, JSngry said:

This might be Pete Rose:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pete_Rose_(musician

Recorder is a bore instrument (acoustical term, not judgemental!), like clarinet. So if you can play one, the transfer to tenor (a cylindrical bore, as oppose to a conical bone) would require only a minimum of effort.

I saw that.  The Wikipedia guy seems steeped in the classical tradition and culture, so it seems unlikely he also played free jazz tenor.  Not impossible, sure, but highly unlikely.

The Perla tape also lists no recording date.  I see this listing in Corea's discography; could it yield some clues?:

Elvin Jones Quintet

Joe Farrell, tenor sax, flute; Frank Foster, tenor, soprano sax; Chick Corea, piano; Gene Perla, bass; Elvin Jones, drums.

"John Coltrane Memorial Concert", "Town Hall", NYC, September 12, 1971

Shinjitu PM Records PMR-004; Jazz Door (G) JD 1255
  Simone -

* PM Records PMR-004   Elvin Jones Live
* Jazz Door (G) JD 1255   Elvin Jones - The John Coltrane Memorial Concert

1 hour ago, mjzee said:

Listening now to the Corea tracks, and am very curious about Pete Rose on tenor and John Dense on drums.  Google searches reveal nothing on either.  These guys sound too assured and professional to be unknowns.  Anyone here willing to venture a guess?

Would that be John Dentz?

Pete Rose (1942-2018) was an American recorder player, composer, and critic. He was the foremost interpreter of contemporary classical music for recorder, and one of the few recorder players to play jazz on the instrument...

Contemporary classical & "free jazz", not at all an incongruous pair. Especially if he was not looking to make a career out of it.

Curious musicians interact in all kinds of ways. At least they used to.

Not saying that this is definitely the guy, just that it would not be shocking if it was, especially if this was just a loft-type jam. That might even be why Perla recorded it to begin with, to have a document of this one guy doing this other thing.

• 1 year later...
On 3/30/2021 at 6:00 AM, sambrasa said:

I used Audacity to record this show in real time. The chatter between those tracks and quality of sound implies this might be a studio recording. The last, untitled, composition might be "Will" by Miroslav Vitous, which appeared later in the 1970's on the Rypdal/Vitous/DeJohnette ECM album.

I spoke to Perla yesterday and asked him about a few of these things.....

He said the Weather Report with Cobham was a rehearsal. 

I also asked him about the Jeremy Steig with Jan Hammer, Tommy Bolin and Billy Cobham (the personnel from Cobham's Spectrum album, a favorite of mine so this was a curiosity to me). He said a Bolin fan released this on some sort of Tommy Bolin compilation a few years back.