Pharoah Sanders, Floating Point and the LSO

medjuck

I read an interesting reference to Harold Budd's 'Pavilion Of Dreams" as a possible precursor to this collaboration.

Just listening to that now, not having done so for a while and I can hear the similarities, although Brown is a bit more foregrounded on it than Pharaoh is on 'Promises'.

I had forgotten how good the Budd is. Again, not Jazz.

Edited by mjazzg

47 minutes ago, Д.Д. said:

Judging by how it is taking off on Spotify, this is likely to be Sanders's most popular album - by a wide margin. 

Not even a bit? 

I love the idea of all those Spotify listeners being introduced to Pharoah.

I hear the piano motif is similar but it wasn't enough to make me think of Feldman, not sure it will be from now on either. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/8/2021 at 10:04 PM, mjzee said:

There's a nice review of this album in today's Wall St Journal.

Also one in The New Yorker, as a "Pop Music" review.

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2021/03/29/pharoah-sanders-takes-on-electronic-music

So, seems to be reaching a diverse audience for probably equally diverse reasons.

Not a bad thing, imo, although...when did Pharoah star playing C-Melody?

210329_r38124.jpg

I do find it interesting how much this album has polarised opinions. 

On the one hand, I have read think pieces on how it represents an unacceptable "gentrification" of free jazz, which privileges historical figures that are perceived to have cultural cache whilst ignoring the living music.

On the other hand, there's been adulation on the level of this article: https://4columns.org/holiday-harmony/pharoah-sanders (warning: do not read on a full stomach).

Having listened to it a few times now, I really enjoy it, although I'd have preferred a little more Pharaoh and less of the slightly soupy orchestrations.

24 minutes ago, Rabshakeh said:

I do find it interesting how much this album has polarised opinions. 

On the one hand, I have read think pieces on how it represents an unacceptable "gentrification" of free jazz, which privileges historical figures that are perceived to have cultural cache whilst ignoring the living music.

Last I checked, Pharoah Sanders was still alive?

And, you know, what's the point of having a long career if you can't do something with it? What's the desired outcome? Retirement? Obscurity? Death?

The latter is probably preferable to the vulture types who love to "rediscover" dead people so they can claim the cachet of "ownership/curatorship" without the inconvenience of the real person getting in the way., you know, here, let me tell you about the tragic tale of a great talent who died alone and forgotten to all but a handfull, most of whom are also dead now, so, here, let ME tell you all about it.

Hell, I hope that Pharoah lives to be 100, has bigger and bigger hit records, and dies a worldwide, household name.

4 hours ago, JSngry said:

Last I checked, Pharoah Sanders was still alive?

And, you know, what's the point of having a long career if you can't do something with it? What's the desired outcome? Retirement? Obscurity? Death?

The latter is probably preferable to the vulture types who love to "rediscover" dead people so they can claim the cachet of "ownership/curatorship" without the inconvenience of the real person getting in the way., you know, here, let me tell you about the tragic tale of a great talent who died alone and forgotten to all but a handfull, most of whom are also dead now, so, here, let ME tell you all about it.

Hell, I hope that Pharoah lives to be 100, has bigger and bigger hit records, and dies a worldwide, household name.

Amen.