• Complete Commodore Vol 1  (23 records)  $100
  • Buddy De Franco /Sonny Clark   Complete Verve $20
  • Edmond Hall//Syd DeParis /Vic Dickerson  BlueNote $25
  • Pete Johnson / Earl Hines / Teddy Bunn  BlueNote session $10
  • Benny Morton / Jimmy Hamilton  BlueNote Swingtets  $10
    • $165  Total for all

mosaics.jpg

Larger Pic Here

Not only was the deal too good to resist, these things have never been played! 

First stop - LP5 of Commodore V1. Those KC6 records...man oh man! Lester Young just jumps out of the speakers he sounds like he arrived from the future. When he solos, they sounds like an early swing/bop group. 

Would love thoughts on these sets from y'all, your favorite tracks / sessions from each etc. 

Edited by bluesForBartok
added photo

I have all the Commodore sets, I have the Hall/DeParis/Dickerson and the DeFranco/Clark (the latter I am trying to sell as I prefer to listen to cd and have this on cd).

All great stuff. The Commodore are the ones I would and do play a lot. So many gems in those boxes!

I have all six and you definitely got a terrific price for all of them. I can remember when Jazz Record Center in NYC had all three volumes of The Complete Commodore Recordings for sale long after they were out of print, asking $2400 for the set. Prices have cooled somewhat since then, but you paid less then what they cost new, which I recall was around $230 plus shipping.

14 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

Not necessarily.

Not everyone's motivated by making as much money as they can. Maybe circumstances dictated a quick sale was preferable.

That's exactly right in this case. It's one of these hoarder / collector types who is just clearing space. Good man and he's thrilled that a nut like me wanted them!

Very nice haul!  The DeFranco/Clark is one of the last OOP sets I'm still in the hunt for, though I'm looking for it on CD.  Over the years I managed to pick up both Commodore V. 1 and 2 for around $100 apiece, which felt very fortunate, and a friend gave me V. 3.  I'm about halfway through Volume 2... it takes awhile to listen thoroughly to those collections!

1 hour ago, clifford_thornton said:

what does the DeFranco/Clark LP set usually go for? I know of one for sale in town but as I'm moving, the temptation is a little bit worn off. 

I bought one a few weeks ago and have it for sale as I bought it in error thinking that it was the cd set. I paid 103 for it and am offering it for sale for 100 including media mail in the US. It's listed in Offering and Looking For.

4 minutes ago, Chuck Nessa said:

This TOCJ disc combines the Morton with a James P date with Ben Webster, the Jimmy Hamilton session and the Sammy Benskin sides.

R-14379807-1573480438-8021.jpeg.jpg

What a great series of discs from TOCJ.

1 hour ago, clifford_thornton said:

what does the DeFranco/Clark LP set usually go for? I know of one for sale in town but as I'm moving, the temptation is a little bit worn off. 

I bought one a few weeks ago and have it for sale as I bought it in error thinking that it was the cd set. I paid 103 for it and am offering it for sale for 100 including media mail in the US. It's listed in Offering and Looking For.