BFT 205 Download and discuss

randyhersom

We have had some last minute obstacles with using thomkeith.net, so will be starting out with an alternate delivery method.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1H-FZhCQt86dTqRgWjgkFeu51XcdSCFYd?usp=sharing

Please post here if you have any issues.

DubModal discovered the first link did not work, I have replaced the link above.  Each mp3 has a download icon in the upper left corner.

Thom has since fixed the early issues so  http://thomkeith.net/index.php/blindfold-tests/  should work now for 205.

13 tracks, just over 80 minutes.  I'm going to eat some vertical space below to help visitors not see the first response and spoil the fun.

Edited by randyhersom

My compliments on the pacing/mood of this BFT.  You seem to have put a good bit of thought into how the selections flow, and the whole is greater than the sum of the parts.

1 – Tenor player plays well enough and the composition is good.  Don’t particularly care for the singer, and not something I’d be drawn to.  Something I could see Archie Shepp or David Murray doing.   But tenor doesn’t really sound like either of them to me.

2 – Expertly played, though not of great interest to me.

3 – Pleasant interlude.

4 – “Lazy Afternoon”, one of my favorite tunes.  This version is from Pete La Roca’s Blue Note album, ‘Basra’.  Joe Henderson, Steve Kuhn, Steve Swallow.

5 – The first one I love on this BFT.  Beautiful stuff, especially the pianist.  Sure hope I already own this!

edit:  hooray, I do own it!

6 – Nice in and of itself, and makes a lovely trilogy with the previous two cuts.

7 – Pleasant enough, did not lift itself above background music for me.

8 – “Baltimore Oriole” by Sheila Jordan from her Blue Note ‘Portrait of Sheila’ album.  Very very nice.

9 – “Sunny” from someone who has their Wes Montgomery clothes on.   Later than Wes (note the Rhodes), and not George Benson or Grant Green.  Certainly enjoyed this one.  Guy’s all over the guitar, and the Rhodes player is also fine.  Could be someone like Phil Upchurch?  Well worth looking into, whoever it is.

And own this!  Should have thought of him!  Got to meet the pianist 25 years later, quite a journey and very humble and kind man.

10 – Fun piece, quite the frantic pace.  Give the drummer some.  I could live without the tenor solo.

11 – A Dan Gould special.  Very fleet and the combo is tight. 

12 – This one is more boppish, #11 more soul-jazzish, and the rhythm section is more basic on this one, though fine.

13 -  Yet another different approach to the piano trio, more free.  The opposite of a tight rhythm section, feels, like they are each just doing their own thing. 

Love some of the cuts, found all interesting, and greatly look forward to the reveals on 5 and 9, thanks!

Edited by felser

Pretty much all identifiable, detailed post this weekend, maybe/hopefully, but the vibe trio of "Warm Valley" sounds like something I wish I ad heard looooong before this evening. Maybe I ahve, but I think I would have remembered THIS!!!! :tup

Ok, curiosity feeds this cat rather quickly, as it turns out...along with Google and selected keywords: https://www.amazon.com/Warm-Valley/dp/B0045DB98A

Need to check this one out!

10 hours ago, felser said:

My compliments on the pacing/mood of this BFT.  You seem to have put a good bit of thought into how the selections flow, and the whole is greater than the sum of the parts.

1 – Tenor player plays well enough and the composition is good.  Don’t particularly care for the singer, and not something I’d be drawn to.  Something I could see Archie Shepp or David Murray doing.   But tenor doesn’t really sound like either of them to me.

Partial credit given

2 – Expertly played, though not of great interest to me.

3 – Pleasant interlude.

4 – “Lazy Afternoon”, one of my favorite tunes.  This version is from Pete La Roca’s Blue Note album, ‘Basra’.  Joe Henderson, Steve Kuhn, Steve Swallow.

Bingo!

5 – The first one I love on this BFT.  Beautiful stuff, especially the pianist.  Sure hope I already own this!

6 – Nice in and of itself, and makes a lovely trilogy with the previous two cuts.

7 – Pleasant enough, did not lift itself above background music for me.

8 – “Baltimore Oriole” by Sheila Jordan from her Blue Note ‘Portrait of Sheila’ album.  Very very nice.

Right on target

9 – “Sunny” from someone who has their Wes Montgomery clothes on.   Later than Wes (note the Rhodes), and not George Benson or Grant Green.  Certainly enjoyed this one.  Guy’s all over the guitar, and the Rhodes player is also fine.  Could be someone like Phil Upchurch?  Well worth looking into, whoever it is.

None of the names are correct, but the tune is and agree with your assessment of the piece.

10 – Fun piece, quite the frantic pace.  Give the drummer some.  I could live without the tenor solo.

11 – A Dan Gould special.  Very fleet and the combo is tight. 

12 – This one is more boppish, #11 more soul-jazzish, and the rhythm section is more basic on this one, though fine.

13 -  Yet another different approach to the piano trio, more free.  The opposite of a tight rhythm section, feels, like they are each just doing their own thing. 

Love some of the cuts, found all interesting, and greatly look forward to the reveals on 5 and 10, thanks!

1 hour ago, mjazzg said:

Sun Rooms are a great band

and a correct answer for the tune JSngry identified in the previous post.

9 hours ago, JSngry said:

Pretty much all identifiable, detailed post this weekend, maybe/hopefully, but the vibe trio of "Warm Valley" sounds like something I wish I ad heard looooong before this evening. Maybe I ahve, but I think I would have remembered THIS!!!! :tup

Ok, curiosity feeds this cat rather quickly, as it turns out...along with Google and selected keywords: https://www.amazon.com/Warm-Valley/dp/B0045DB98A

Yes, looking forward to your more detailed comments.

Need to check this one out!

Edited by randyhersom

1 - Sultry groove & singing. Feels like I should be able to name the sax player but I can't. Don't know the singer either. 

2- Hmmm...is this Ike Quebec? I've heard this song before, so thinking it's a standard. Maybe not Quebec, but someone with a real clean, expressive tone - Gene Ammons maybe? 

3 - Very soulful track. Nice composition and layers in the arrangement with what sounds like a bari beneath that flute. Only complaint is that it's too short. 

4 - I really love the piano and bass playing off each other in the beginning of this track. Love it. They keep it going as well...so nice. Love that alto player bending those notes as well. (I think it's alto anyway). This is a familiar tune but I can't name it. Also love the brush work during the piano solo. Is this Art Pepper? Well...maybe Lee Konitz? (lol - see this is identified and I'm totally wrong on alto :cool:)

5- Man, this is one meditative track. The way the piano is recorded I'd guess they're the leader of the date. The rest of the composition is ok. The piano and drums are what stand out most to me. 

6 - Vibes player lets 'em ring. Track is really slow, kind of a sad tune. 

7 - Maybe it's my own mood tonight but this is another song that might benefit from a bit faster tempo. Good blues number and I like the sax player. As this goes on that intro/head they keep playing gets more grating, to the point that I'm glad when it's over. 

8 - "Baltimore Oriole" She's got a good voice. Guessing it's Sheila Jordan from this release.

9 - Ok, I think I listened to this song recently. CTI right? Everyone's killing it. Nice groove, great song. 

10 -  Bass player is killing it. Love the trombone playing as well. Almost wish the piano wasn't there at all. Nothing against the player, but these guys seem ready to fly. 

11 - Sounds like a traditional tune played by this piano player who's really vocal at the keys. 

12 - Another traditional sounding tune, but a different style for sure. Really like the drumming on this one. 

13 - No guesses here either. Once it gets into it I enjoy the song much better, esp if I concentrate on the percussive aspects of the piano. Then it becomes almost like a percussion ensemble and opens up the funk that's in the composition. 

Not many guesses here for me. Enjoyed it though. 

Edited by Dub Modal

Just a heads up -- no gag here.  I was able to DL the files from Randy's link and get the page working, so if you want to be lazy, the regular player/DL is now working.  Mea Culpa -- March got away from my quick, and then - naturally - everything went sideways.

1 minute ago, tkeith said:

Just a heads up -- no gag here.  I was able to DL the files from Randy's link and get the page working, so if you want to be lazy, the regular player/DL is now working.  Mea Culpa -- March got away from my quick, and then - naturally - everything went sideways.

No worries. That new link worked for me but I'll definitely take advantage of the site when I ge time to listen again. Thanks for your work on this! 

Randy, WOW! 

Upside: this test is in my wheelhouse.
Downside: unable to listen completely because I’m pressed for time (gotta teach a class in 30 minutes)
I WILL be returning to this for a full listen.  Outstanding complilation, Randy!

WARNING!!!  SPOILERS!
Track 05 caught my attention when I was checking the files.  That drum count-of is unmistakable and I decided my class prep could wait and did the test.  I'll be going back to reckon with track 10.  I KNOW that on my shelves.

Track 01 - Has a Von Freeman feel from the outset.   Oh!  No, it’s Karin Krog with Shepp (THE MASTER!).  This and the record with Marsh are must haves for any Jazz guy.  Obviously Mal Waldron’s Soul Eyes.  SUCH  a great period for Shepp!

Track 02 - Hehe… this guy is staring at my from the table next to my chair right now.  You’ve Changed from this.  Awhile back, someone posted a semi-parody version of this tune where the woman catches her man in her dress.  I can’t unhear it whenever I hear the song, now.  Nothing funny about this version, though.

Track 03 - Ekaya!  I believe it’s this version.  You’re killin’ it, man!  Absolutely the most optomistic composer I’ve ever heard.  LOVE his writing.

Track 04 - Joe, Lazy Afternoon.  This is from Pete LaRoca’s record.  You’re giving Felser a run for his money for my favorite BFTs of all time.  

Track 05 - Here’d that count off and knew this one when I was testing the files.  LOVE this.  The understated circular breathing of Marcus Belgrave really makes this special.  SUCH a great feel.  Shame so few realize what a force Tapscott was.  I have many versions of this, but this is the pride of the collection.  A young Abraham Burton on alto on this, as well.  Title track from this.

Track 06 - Quirky version of Warm Valley.  Not sure who it is.  At first, I was thinking Khan Jamal, but it’s not him.  Not sure it’s a total hit, but I think it’s one I’m going to need to listen to multiple times to be sure (a sign that it will win me over).

Track 07 - WHOA!  My childhood!  This record has always bugged me.  Parts of it just don’t click, other parts (like this tune) really hit.  Based on the personnel, it should be an epic dessert island collection.  This tune was really the standout.  My dad used to torture young me (who only wanted to hear George Harrison) by blasting this.  Eventually, I bought his copy from him.  :D It’s this.

Track 08 - Not sure who’s singing, but man, Cal done did her wrong.  :D I don’t think I know the singer, but the bass sounds familiar.  Nice brush work.

Track 09 - Sunny!  (it isn’t)  The instant thought is Wes, but it’s not him.  This is the version that inspired me to learn this tune.  This guy was a huge discovery to me because he just wasn’t in the collection (excepting Children of Forever) in the formative years.  Set closer from this.  Sherman Ferguson is killin’ it on this.

Track 10 - I recognize this, but can’t pull it from the brain.  Those chord extensions feel like Cecil, but I”m getting more of a Jaki Byard/Dave Burrell feel from the solo.  Sure sounds like Tyrone Washington’s tenor.  If forced to guess, I’m feeling Grachan Moncur on bone.   Gotta hope I get this later in the month.

Track 11 - Gotta be OP.  Yeah, there’s that grunt.  Forget the name of the tune.  I know he’s a devisive figure in some circles, but godDAMN could that man play!

Track 12 - Yeah!  Man, another forgotten writer.  Max is cookin’ on this.

Track 13 - Well, THERE’s Cecil.  Not sure of what.  :D Too much of this guy’s stuff gets ignored because of reputation among the Jazz Neo-cons.  From this.

Once again, sorry for everything going nuts -- still don't know what happened or why.  Worth the work on this one!

6 minutes ago, tkeith said:

Randy, WOW! 

Downside: unable to listen completely because I’m pressed for time (gotta teach a class in 30 minutes)
I WILL be returning to this for a full listen.  Outstanding complilation, Randy!

WARNING!!!  SPOILERS!
Track 05 caught my attention when I was checking the files.  That drum count-of is unmistakable and I decided my class prep could wait and did the test.  I'll be going back to reckon with track 10.  I KNOW that on my shelves.

Track 01 - Has a Von Freeman feel from the outset.   Oh!  No, it’s Karin Krog with Shepp (THE MASTER!).  This and the record with Marsh are must haves for any Jazz guy.  Obviously Mal Waldron’s Soul Eyes.  SUCH  a great period for Shepp!

Track 02 - Hehe… this guy is staring at my from the table next to my chair right now.  You’ve Changed from this.  Awhile back, someone posted a semi-parody version of this tune where the woman catches her man in her dress.  I can’t unhear it whenever I hear the song, now.  Nothing funny about this version, though.

Track 03 - Ekaya!  I believe it’s this version.  You’re killin’ it, man!  Absolutely the most optomistic composer I’ve ever heard.  LOVE his writing.

Track 04 - Joe, Lazy Afternoon.  This is from Pete LaRoca’s record.  You’re giving Felser a run for his money for my favorite BFTs of all time.  

Track 05 - Here’d that count off and knew this one when I was testing the files.  LOVE this.  The understated circular breathing of Marcus Belgrave really makes this special.  SUCH a great feel.  Shame so few realize what a force Tapscott was.  I have many versions of this, but this is the pride of the collection.  A young Abraham Burton on alto on this, as well.  Title track from this.

Track 06 - Quirky version of Warm Valley.  Not sure who it is.  At first, I was thinking Khan Jamal, but it’s not him.  Not sure it’s a total hit, but I think it’s one I’m going to need to listen to multiple times to be sure (a sign that it will win me over).

Track 07 - WHOA!  My childhood!  This record has always bugged me.  Parts of it just don’t click, other parts (like this tune) really hit.  Based on the personnel, it should be an epic dessert island collection.  This tune was really the standout.  My dad used to torture young me (who only wanted to hear George Harrison) by blasting this.  Eventually, I bought his copy from him.  :D It’s this.

Track 08 - Not sure who’s singing, but man, Cal done did her wrong.  :D I don’t think I know the singer, but the bass sounds familiar.  Nice brush work.

Track 09 - Sunny!  (it isn’t)  The instant thought is Wes, but it’s not him.  This is the version that inspired me to learn this tune.  This guy was a huge discovery to me because he just wasn’t in the collection (excepting Children of Forever) in the formative years.  Set closer from this.  Sherman Ferguson is killin’ it on this.

Track 10 - I recognize this, but can’t pull it from the brain.  Those chord extensions feel like Cecil, but I”m getting more of a Jaki Byard/Dave Burrell feel from the solo.  Sure sounds like Tyrone Washington’s tenor.  If forced to guess, I’m feeling Grachan Moncur on bone.   Gotta hope I get this later in the month.

Track 11 - Gotta be OP.  Yeah, there’s that grunt.  Forget the name of the tune.  I know he’s a devisive figure in some circles, but godDAMN could that man play!

Track 13 - Well, THERE’s Cecil.  Not sure of what.  :D Too much of this guy’s stuff gets ignored because of reputation among the Jazz Neo-cons.  From this.

Once again, sorry for everything going nuts -- still don't know what happened or why.  Worth the work on this one!

Thanks for the spoilers! I just added some titles to my want list. Should've known it was Martino on 9! 

3 hours ago, Dub Modal said:

1 - Sultry groove & singing. Feels like I should be able to name the sax player but I can't. Don't know the singer either. 

2- Hmmm...is this Ike Quebec? I've heard this song before, so thinking it's a standard. Maybe not Quebec, but someone with a real clean, expressive tone - Gene Ammons maybe? 

Not Ike Quebec

3 - Very soulful track. Nice composition and layers in the arrangement with what sounds like a bari beneath that flute. Only complaint is that it's too short. 

4 - I really love the piano and bass playing off each other in the beginning of this track. Love it. They keep it going as well...so nice. Love that alto player bending those notes as well. (I think it's alto anyway). This is a familiar tune but I can't name it. Also love the brush work during the piano solo. Is this Art Pepper? Well...maybe Lee Konitz? (lol - see this is identified and I'm totally wrong on alto :cool:)

5- Man, this is one meditative track. The way the piano is recorded I'd guess they're the leader of the date. The rest of the composition is ok. The piano and drums are what stand out most to me. 

6 - Vibes player lets 'em ring. Track is really slow, kind of a sad tune. 

7 - Maybe it's my own mood tonight but this is another song that might benefit from a bit faster tempo. Good blues number and I like the sax player. As this goes on that intro/head they keep playing gets more grating, to the point that I'm glad when it's over. 

The intro/head is just what hooked me into this, I find it totally addictive.

8 - "Baltimore Oriole" She's got a good voice. Guessing it's Sheila Jordan from this release.

Correct

9 - Ok, I think I listened to this song recently. CTI right? Everyone's killing it. Nice groove, great song. 

10 -  Bass player is killing it. Love the trombone playing as well. Almost wish the piano wasn't there at all. Nothing against the player, but these guys seem ready to fly. 

I love it all

11 - Sounds like a traditional tune played by this piano player who's really vocal at the keys. 

12 - Another traditional sounding tune, but a different style for sure. Really like the drumming on this one. 

13 - No guesses here either. Once it gets into it I enjoy the song much better, esp if I concentrate on the percussive aspects of the piano. Then it becomes almost like a percussion ensemble and opens up the funk that's in the composition. 

Not many guesses here for me. Enjoyed it though. 

Thanks for listening and sharing your responses.

1 hour ago, tkeith said:

Randy, WOW! 

WARNING!!!  SPOILERS!

Correct

Correct

Can't rule out that it's the same track, but I got it from African River where it is entitled Mountain of the Night.

Correct as noted earlier

Correct and well done, I considered this one of the three hardest to identify.

JSngry googled it, but no one has found it by ear for sure.  I guess mjazzg might have, but it's not clear.

Correct

The singer is worth knowing and has been identified as Sheila Jordan

Correct.  I can just listen to this track over and over, and often have.

Enjoyed your guesses, but none were correct.

Artist correct

Correct

Correct

I enjoyed your responses almost as much as putting this together, thanks!

Here are my responses to the early tracks.  I have not looked at the other posts.

1.   Smoky jazz voice, but not as smoky as Cassandra Wilson—just not having much clue on the singer. Nice tenor solo with a debt to Coltrane…also Brecker-influenced, though not as hot on the upper notes. The song is “Soul Eyes.”  I did not know there were lyrics.

2.  I’m getting the feeling that you favor tenor sax; but of course we know there have been many great tenorists, past and present.  This is a standard, though I’m not identifying it. Pretty lengthy, but he keeps it compelling.  Trumpet solo is brief but quite good; I am guessing (without super-high confidence) Freddie Hubbard.   

3.  Abdullah Ibrahim…love this piece: “The Mountain.”

4.  An absolute classic: “Lazy Afternoon.” I finally purchased Basra (Pete LaRoca) a year or so back…great record, and this track is one of the definitive ballad performances of all time!  Joe Henderson is brilliant, and the tune is so haunting.

5.  Nice track…starts pretty mellow, then picks up.  Trumpeter sounds more like Hubbard than the player on #2.  Interesting piano solo; I hear some Monk influence, but this guy has his own thing.  I should recognize someone this distinctive.

6.  Drums sound like Elvin…the mellow Elvin, when he’s not trying to blow off the roof.  Nice bass work, and some mysterious vibes…maybe Bobby Hutcherson, but not a track I recall ever hearing.  A familiar melody pops up…it’s an Ellington piece.  Not at all sure I’m guessing correctly, but I’m quite intrigued by this performance.

7.  Sounds like Kenny Burrell…I know Kenny has done this familiar piece, which I can’t name. Tenor sounds good…sort of a Hank Mobley approach. Now that’s Kenny, no question.  Rather nice, and I wish I could name it. 

Edited by Milestones

8. This is pretty cool. I’m not all that much into jazz singers, but she’s got a pretty cool and relaxed approach to a song I don’t recognize. 

9. This is certainly “Sunny” and has a pretty big Wes style or influence.  I don’t think it’s Wes. Ah, now it’s ventured into a different thing.  This might be early Pat Martino. 

10. This has the feeling of a Jackie McLean piece from the 60s, although so far I’ve heard solos from trumpet and trombone.  Whoa, now there’s some high-flying sax, all too brief—not McLean, though a bit in his style.  Pretty short piece.  Whatever this may be, it reminds me of the edgier stuff on Blue Note in the 60s. 

11. Old-timey gospel kind of feel...no guess. 

12. This makes me think of Herbie Nichols, whose music I don’t know very well. Certainly an enjoyable track.

13. Pretty cool piano trio.  Sounds a bit like Andrew Hill.  High degree of interaction among the three players, which I really like.  

Gonna have to fit this in while I can, might not be complete.

Very pleasant trip down (mostly) memory lane!

TRACK ONE - Shepp/Krog, "soul Eyes". Krog is perhaps an acquired taste, if one doesn't know there's an "accent" involved. After that, hey, all good. And this was from the time when Shepp got his change playing together, really together. Great cut.

TRACK TWO - Yeah! I remember being a little underwhelmed by One Flight Up (sacrilege, perhaps?), and then the record ends like this and....yeah. Dexter on ballads, magnificent, up until the very end.

TRACK THREE - Ibrahim, beautiful piece. Strangely combines currents from/to Ellington, Zawinul, and Crusaders all into one piece. Think about that, like the man said, you think about that.

TRACK FOUR - Another classic! Joe at his most caressful. His "classical" studying comes into play here, his extreme control...just beautiful.

TRACK FIVE - Ok, not familiar with this one. Sounds good. Very deep-zoned composition. Bears repeated listening.

TRACK SIX - Ok, glommed this one. Funny, first listen, I heard that drum intro and said, gotta be Elvin...and then it obviously wasn't. What really gets be is the vibists' detail of tone, attack, and intervals, some very Monkian "slurryisms" in the lines. Details matter, and never more than when they're paid attention to! And did not recognize "Warm Valley" until the outchorus. Began to get a hint before then, but...nicely plaid by all.

TRACK SEVEN - Ok....this was big on the radio back in the day. Gotta love Harold Land, always and forever. Past that....it's a record, hey. Gotta love Harold Land! If a record gets made that has Harold Land on it, it's a good record for me. Was this on Galaxy or Milestone? Evans, so Milestone. But it could have just as easily been on Galaxy. Anyway, make mine Harold Land, please.

TRACK EIGHT - I do not care for that song, ever, this singer, only sometimes. But she should have had more recording opportunities after this one. She was in great voice then, and lost time is not found again.

TRACK NINE - Geez, take a breath...It's not Wes and its not Benson...it's Martino, but why he did this, I don't know. Ok, I know why he did it, don't know why it had to be put out on a record, though. Helluva player, of course, but this sounds like he's trying to get a place on a CTI All Star tour or something, and he was not gonna get that gig, just because...shit don't work like that. And here, 50 years laterit's like, oh, this guy was copping Benson & Wes and no, no NO. But that's what happens when you are careless with your records, people will get the wrong impression. Don't believe me, ask Eddie Harris.

TRACK TEN - Oh...this one intrigues...I know I have this record somewhere, can't put my mind on it, though. Tune sounds like a Mobley thing, but I don't think it is...STRONG playing...Slide Hampton on trombone? No, not at the end...This is one of those "don't look down!" tempos and nobody does. Crap, that could almost be Booker Ervin on tenor, but its not...can't shake the feeling that I have this somewhere, but something with this mojo, I think I'd remember it...Richard Davis on bass? I give up, gonna take it toShazam to see what comes up. Thanks for including this one!

TRACK ELEVEN - No. Not now, not ever. Do NOT, Lord. Do not EVEN try. You exist because I let you, don't fuck that up, because I can shut you off in a quick minute, o? This shit works both ways.

TRACK TWELVE - Herbie Nichols. couldn't be anybody else. Still recall when the whoel "rediscovery" thing began in the 70s with that "brown bag" two-fer...there's a lot of music to absorb in that one piece, in every one of his pieces. It can be overwhelming if you don't steel yourself for that. But as time has shown, you can't unhear this, and if you don't get to it, it's not because it's not there to be gotten, that one would be on you.

TRACK THIRTEEN - Cecil. quite obviously!. That great early trio, Den(n)is Charles in particular. DRUMS! There's a standard in there, I can hear it but can't quite put my finger on it...almost Sweet Georgia Brown, one of those tunes/forms that starts on the VI7 chord. Or maybe not, doesn't matter, no matter, where it begins, it comes out HERE.

Ok, 13 tracks, that's a lot (like if 12 full ounces of Pepsi was a lot, then this is one more than that!). but got this post in under the limit I had, something to be said for familiarity, indeed there is!

Fun set, thanks for sharing!

Wow, Shazam doe NOT recognize # 10. But they DO recognize Cecil! So #10 must be some locked treasure of a chest!

Maybe that standard is "I Found A New Baby"? I keep hearing the cadences in different points...

and here is where I find out that I've misfiled my copy of Horizons...but the lead cut, "Eb tuba G" is a match in timing...but I don't recall anything on that record being this aggressive...and not being able to find the freaking record now....

Well I'll be damned, it is! I thought it sounded familiar...but now I gott find the damn record, it's here somewhere, whatever that means...

https://archive.org/details/lp_horizons_ira-sullivan

5 minutes ago, JSngry said:

and here is where I find out that I've misfiled my copy of Horizons...but the lead cut, "Eb tuba G" is a match in timing...but I don't recall anything on that record being this aggressive...and not being able to find the freaking record now....

Collectables paired it with Luis Gasca's "The Little Giant" on one of those strange twofers.  Do you have it filed under Gasca?

no, i got the Atlantic LP. Found a white label promo in a really dusty mom&pop back in the late 70s. I was like, oh hell yeah, live no more in record store orphanage, you have a home now.

so I guess that makes me a really shitty record parent. It hurts to be that.

It's probably here in the main shelves, just out of order...always happens when I take rows out and then put them back.

9 minutes ago, JSngry said:

no, i got the Atlantic LP. Found a white label promo in a really dusty mom&pop back in the late 70s. I was like, oh hell yeah, live no more in record store orphanage, you have a home now.

so I guess that makes me a really shitty record parent. It hurts to be that.

It's probably here in the main shelves, just out of order...always happens when I take rows out and then put them back.

Me too.  I've rebought titles that I thought I had lost somehow, but had only gotten them missorted when moving around on shelves.

Very enjoyable set!

1) I like her sultry singing.  I like the arrangement, and the tenor (though he does go on a bit too long).  Could've also used another soloist, so it doesn't seem like the tenorist is hogging the spotlight from the singer.

2) "You've Changed," in the Dexterish vein.  Forceful, nice vibrato, tells a story (and not the usual "You've Changed" story).  I also appreciate that he didn't spit out torrents of notes.  Don't know who this is, but I approve.  Good trumpet, too, good recording.

3) Tenor-flute combination!  Nice bass.  Oh man, this hits my buttons.  Something about this seems British, but I can't tell you what.  And it fits onto a 45!  Is it Abdullah Ibrahim?

4) Another nice one.  Nice mood, pensive atmosphere.  I have this, or at least this composition.  Held my interest throughout its length.  Pianist sounds like Herbie.

5) A little too long, takes a little too long to get going.  My guess is Woody Shaw on trumpet.

6) Nicely recorded bass.  Interesting instrumentation.  Ah, "Warm Valley."  Can't tell who's humming, bass or vibes.  Nice arrangement.  Drummer was good and supportive.

7) Another one I think I have.  Kenny Burrell on guitar.  Very democratic in meting out of solos.  They must be friends.

8) "Baltimore Oriole."  I don't know who is the singer, but she has a nice voice.

9) Pat Martino, "Sunny" from "Live!" on Muse.  Just great stuff.  Pat was burning back then.

10) Is the trumpeter Jack Walrath?  George Adams on tenor?  Dannie Richmond on drums?  Sounds like early '80's.  If I had to guess, having never heard it, this is "Feel No Evil" from Dannie Richmond's "The Last Mingus Band A.D."  (Which would mean Ricky Ford on tenor.)

11) "Gotta Travel On."  Oscar Peterson?  From a Pablo live set?

12) Herbie Nichols, "The Gig" (BN).  I'm not a huge Nichols fan, but I do appreciate the musical sound effects on this track, and the inherent humor.

13) Just not my thing.

Thanks for doing this!