BFT 205 Download and discuss

randyhersom

9 hours ago, BillF said:

Where's the link?

http://thomkeith.net/index.php/blindfold-tests/

11 hours ago, Milestones said:

Here are my responses to the early tracks.  I have not looked at the other posts.

1.   Smoky jazz voice, but not as smoky as Cassandra Wilson—just not having much clue on the singer. Nice tenor solo with a debt to Coltrane…also Brecker-influenced, though not as hot on the upper notes. The song is “Soul Eyes.”  I did not know there were lyrics.

Debt to Coltrane very much a part of this player's makeup.  Any Brecker similarities are likely a result of them both feeding from the same trough.

2.  I’m getting the feeling that you favor tenor sax; but of course we know there have been many great tenorists, past and present.  This is a standard, though I’m not identifying it. Pretty lengthy, but he keeps it compelling.  Trumpet solo is brief but quite good; I am guessing (without super-high confidence) Freddie Hubbard.   

Yes to Hubbard, but the  tenor is the leader

3.  Abdullah Ibrahim…love this piece: “The Mountain.”

correct

4.  An absolute classic: “Lazy Afternoon.” I finally purchased Basra (Pete LaRoca) a year or so back…great record, and this track is one of the definitive ballad performances of all time!  Joe Henderson is brilliant, and the tune is so haunting.

correct

5.  Nice track…starts pretty mellow, then picks up.  Trumpeter sounds more like Hubbard than the player on #2.  Interesting piano solo; I hear some Monk influence, but this guy has his own thing.  I should recognize someone this distinctive.

not Hubbard here

6.  Drums sound like Elvin…the mellow Elvin, when he’s not trying to blow off the roof.  Nice bass work, and some mysterious vibes…maybe Bobby Hutcherson, but not a track I recall ever hearing.  A familiar melody pops up…it’s an Ellington piece.  Not at all sure I’m guessing correctly, but I’m quite intrigued by this performance.

It is an Ellington tune

7.  Sounds like Kenny Burrell…I know Kenny has done this familiar piece, which I can’t name. Tenor sounds good…sort of a Hank Mobley approach. Now that’s Kenny, no question.  Rather nice, and I wish I could name it. 

Burrell is the guitarist, not the leader.

11 hours ago, Milestones said:

8. This is pretty cool. I’m not all that much into jazz singers, but she’s got a pretty cool and relaxed approach to a song I don’t recognize. 

9. This is certainly “Sunny” and has a pretty big Wes style or influence.  I don’t think it’s Wes. Ah, now it’s ventured into a different thing.  This might be early Pat Martino. 

It is early Pat Martino playing Sunny

10. This has the feeling of a Jackie McLean piece from the 60s, although so far I’ve heard solos from trumpet and trombone.  Whoa, now there’s some high-flying sax, all too brief—not McLean, though a bit in his style.  Pretty short piece.  Whatever this may be, it reminds me of the edgier stuff on Blue Note in the 60s. 

The reactions to this have been a lot of fun to read.  I have since given a clue that JSngry converted into an ID.

11. Old-timey gospel kind of feel...no guess. 

12. This makes me think of Herbie Nichols, whose music I don’t know very well. Certainly an enjoyable track.

Right on.

13. Pretty cool piano trio.  Sounds a bit like Andrew Hill.  High degree of interaction among the three players, which I really like.  

Not Hill

Thanks for your reactions.  Glad you enjoyed it.

14 hours ago, JSngry said:

Gonna have to fit this in while I can, might not be complete.

Very pleasant trip down (mostly) memory lane!

TRACK ONE - Shepp/Krog, "soul Eyes". Krog is perhaps an acquired taste, if one doesn't know there's an "accent" involved. After that, hey, all good. And this was from the time when Shepp got his change playing together, really together. Great cut.

Correct

TRACK TWO - Yeah! I remember being a little underwhelmed by One Flight Up (sacrilege, perhaps?), and then the record ends like this and....yeah. Dexter on ballads, magnificent, up until the very end.

The album is Doin Alright, but you have the right tenor, of course.  I wanted to find a version of this I thought I remembered from my radio days, where Dexter speaks the first verse before the band starts playing.   I haven't been able to find it or even prove to myself that it exists.

TRACK THREE - Ibrahim, beautiful piece. Strangely combines currents from/to Ellington, Zawinul, and Crusaders all into one piece. Think about that, like the man said, you think about that.

Correct

TRACK FOUR - Another classic! Joe at his most caressful. His "classical" studying comes into play here, his extreme control...just beautiful.

That's the tenor, it's Pete Laroca's date

TRACK FIVE - Ok, not familiar with this one. Sounds good. Very deep-zoned composition. Bears repeated listening.

Thom nailed this from the first instant, title track of Aiee! The Phantom by Horace Tapscott.

TRACK SIX - Ok, glommed this one. Funny, first listen, I heard that drum intro and said, gotta be Elvin...and then it obviously wasn't. What really gets be is the vibists' detail of tone, attack, and intervals, some very Monkian "slurryisms" in the lines. Details matter, and never more than when they're paid attention to! And did not recognize "Warm Valley" until the outchorus. Began to get a hint before then, but...nicely plaid by all.

As a fanatic of Walt Dickerson's Peace (as well as all his Steeplechases and everything else he ever did), the vibes, bass and drums instrumentation really speaks to me, and I made a point to get everything I could find by Jason Adasiewicz.  Only two dates are trios, others have an alto and thus more kinship to Out To Lunch than Peace.  Hard to go wrong either way there.

TRACK SEVEN - Ok....this was big on the radio back in the day. Gotta love Harold Land, always and forever. Past that....it's a record, hey. Gotta love Harold Land! If a record gets made that has Harold Land on it, it's a good record for me. Was this on Galaxy or Milestone? Evans, so Milestone. But it could have just as easily been on Galaxy. Anyway, make mine Harold Land, please.

Ray Brown does OK here, and I love the speedy rising guitar hook by Kenny Burrell.  Appreciate that your Mileage varies, and yeah, Harold Land!

TRACK EIGHT - I do not care for that song, ever, this singer, only sometimes. But she should have had more recording opportunities after this one. She was in great voice then, and lost time is not found again.

TRACK NINE - Geez, take a breath...It's not Wes and its not Benson...it's Martino, but why he did this, I don't know. Ok, I know why he did it, don't know why it had to be put out on a record, though. Helluva player, of course, but this sounds like he's trying to get a place on a CTI All Star tour or something, and he was not gonna get that gig, just because...shit don't work like that. And here, 50 years laterit's like, oh, this guy was copping Benson & Wes and no, no NO. But that's what happens when you are careless with your records, people will get the wrong impression. Don't believe me, ask Eddie Harris.

I'm going to see if I can get you back for another listen or two.  To me this is hands down, the best thing Pat Martino ever did.  I feel excitement and discovery and groove, not primarily commercial compromise, but yeah, that's a Rhodes.  It's on Muse and the great Kenny Barron also played some Rhodes on Muse about this time.  I'll admit that it is unrelenting.  I remember a previous BFT I did where you spoke up on behalf of Mal Waldron and Gary Peacock's The Heart of the Matter.  That was an acoustic piano trio but other posters were talking about its lack of subtlety and you were pretty eloquent in describing the place it was coming from.  As a young listener coming from progressive rock, that unrelenting nature fit in with other favorites like Allman Brothers Live At Fillmore East and King Crimson - Larks Tongues in Aspic.  Beyond that it grooves like mad, shout out to the bassist and drummer from Odean Pope's fusion group Catalyst.  And the Rhodes player was a classical cat that Pat somehow nurtured into a key contributor.  I think this is the music Pat meant to make, not an audition for Creed Taylor.

TRACK TEN - Oh...this one intrigues...I know I have this record somewhere, can't put my mind on it, though. Tune sounds like a Mobley thing, but I don't think it is...STRONG playing...Slide Hampton on trombone? No, not at the end...This is one of those "don't look down!" tempos and nobody does. Crap, that could almost be Booker Ervin on tenor, but its not...can't shake the feeling that I have this somewhere, but something with this mojo, I think I'd remember it...Richard Davis on bass? I give up, gonna take it to Shazam to see what comes up. Thanks for including this one!

The reactions to this one have been so much fun, with George Adams and Jaki Byard getting name dropped.

TRACK ELEVEN - No. Not now, not ever. Do NOT, Lord. Do not EVEN try. You exist because I let you, don't fuck that up, because I can shut you off in a quick minute, o? This shit works both ways.

Duke liked him, but I understand why others do not.

TRACK TWELVE - Herbie Nichols. couldn't be anybody else. Still recall when the whoel "rediscovery" thing began in the 70s with that "brown bag" two-fer...there's a lot of music to absorb in that one piece, in every one of his pieces. It can be overwhelming if you don't steel yourself for that. But as time has shown, you can't unhear this, and if you don't get to it, it's not because it's not there to be gotten, that one would be on you.

High recognition rate on this one, kudos to the participants. And Max!, as noted well above.

TRACK THIRTEEN - Cecil. quite obviously!. That great early trio, Den(n)is Charles in particular. DRUMS! There's a standard in there, I can hear it but can't quite put my finger on it...almost Sweet Georgia Brown, one of those tunes/forms that starts on the VI7 chord. Or maybe not, doesn't matter, no matter, where it begins, it comes out HERE.

Thom pegged it as Of What from Looking Ahead.

Ok, 13 tracks, that's a lot (like if 12 full ounces of Pepsi was a lot, then this is one more than that!). but got this post in under the limit I had, something to be said for familiarity, indeed there is!

Fun set, thanks for sharing!

Very pleased you shared your comments on all of the tracks.

Wow, Shazam doe NOT recognize # 10. But they DO recognize Cecil! So #10 must be some locked treasure of a chest!

Maybe that standard is "I Found A New Baby"? I keep hearing the cadences in different points...

7 hours ago, mjzee said:

Very enjoyable set!

1) I like her sultry singing.  I like the arrangement, and the tenor (though he does go on a bit too long).  Could've also used another soloist, so it doesn't seem like the tenorist is hogging the spotlight from the singer.

2) "You've Changed," in the Dexterish vein.  Forceful, nice vibrato, tells a story (and not the usual "You've Changed" story).  I also appreciate that he didn't spit out torrents of notes.  Don't know who this is, but I approve.  Good trumpet, too, good recording.

you can't get more Dexterish than Dexter!

3) Tenor-flute combination!  Nice bass.  Oh man, this hits my buttons.  Something about this seems British, but I can't tell you what.  And it fits onto a 45!  Is it Abdullah Ibrahim?

It is.

4) Another nice one.  Nice mood, pensive atmosphere.  I have this, or at least this composition.  Held my interest throughout its length.  Pianist sounds like Herbie.

Steve Kuhn on piano  with Joe Henderson on tenor and leader Pete Laroca on drums.

5) A little too long, takes a little too long to get going.  My guess is Woody Shaw on trumpet.

Not Woody, Marcus Belgrave.  Leader is Horace Tapscott on piano as Thom shared.

6) Nicely recorded bass.  Interesting instrumentation.  Ah, "Warm Valley."  Can't tell who's humming, bass or vibes.  Nice arrangement.  Drummer was good and supportive.

7) Another one I think I have.  Kenny Burrell on guitar.  Very democratic in meting out of solos.  They must be friends.

Kenny Burrell is on guitar, Bill Evans led the date.

8) "Baltimore Oriole."  I don't know who is the singer, but she has a nice voice.

9) Pat Martino, "Sunny" from "Live!" on Muse.  Just great stuff.  Pat was burning back then.

My favorite Pat, I sometimes just repeat this track over and over.

10) Is the trumpeter Jack Walrath?  George Adams on tenor?  Dannie Richmond on drums?  Sounds like early '80's.  If I had to guess, having never heard it, this is "Feel No Evil" from Dannie Richmond's "The Last Mingus Band A.D."  (Which would mean Ricky Ford on tenor.)

It's Ira Sullivan with a band of obscure Florida players overachieving like mad.

11) "Gotta Travel On."  Oscar Peterson?  From a Pablo live set?

Titled as Travelin On on Exclusively For My Froends Vol 2 on MPS

12) Herbie Nichols, "The Gig" (BN).  I'm not a huge Nichols fan, but I do appreciate the musical sound effects on this track, and the inherent humor.

Correct

13) Just not my thing.

Understood, Glad you enjoyed much of the rest.  Thanks for sharing your responses.

Thanks for doing this!

Edited by randyhersom

13 hours ago, randyhersom said:

I wanted to find a version of this I thought I remembered from my radio days, where Dexter speaks the first verse before the band starts playing.   I haven't been able to find it or even prove to myself that it exists.

Randy, you may be thinking of Dex's "Swiss Nights Vol. 1" album.  On the CD, the spoken intro for "You've Changed" appears at the end of the prior track ("Wave").

I want to thank you for including the "vertical space" at the end of your initial post.  It was a reminder to me to not read already-posted replies before contributing my own impressions.

Playing this BFT again and have to say that #3 is my absolute favorite song out of the whole thing. Actually, that sequence from 3 through 5 is fantastic. The Martino is an earworm that for me works very well. It's like a CTI track without Sebesky's arrangements, so a little more raw.

And the contrast with the last two tracks by Nichols & Taylor is amazing.

• 2 weeks later...

1. Don’t know the singer. She’s okay. Tenor player sounds a lot like Shepp and this is quite his style.  I think it’s him. Overall okay song! Soul Eyes of course.
  2. Don’t know this. Nice ballad, lovely tenor playing. Nothing very special but very pleasant music.
  3. Oh Abdullah Ibrahim my man. I love the guy and I love this record. So happy I have seen him live a couple of years ago. What a guy!
  4. Yes I know this one! Lazy Afternoon by Pete LaRoca with the great Joe Henderson on tenor. Steve Kuhn is great too here. A pleasant break on the excellent Basra album.
  5. I don’t know this but I like it very, very much. Fascinating composition, excellent piano playing and great trumpeter. I love this and need to get to know it! Edit: now that I am listening closer to the piano player, is that Horace Tapscott?
  6. Interesting vibes player. Don’t know it. Music with lots of space. Cant say I really dig it. Khan Jamal? Walt Dickerson?
  7. No idea. Not my cup of tea
  8. Also not really my kind of thing though she definitely could sing. She has a nice voice to listen to. Cant identify her.
  9. Well that’s Sunny. Guitar player makes me think of Wes Montgomery? But I should have known this one then so it’s probably not him. Not enough thumb too. Love the bass player by the way. Great choice and I am curious who it is.
  10. Don’t know it but I should! Great music. Sounds like a ‘60’s steaming Postbop Blue Note Session. Tenor player reminds me a little of Sam Rivers but I don’t think it’s him. 
  11. That’s Oscar Peterson. I have this but can’t remember the album. An MPS date with Sam Jones and Bobby Durham? I remember! It’s volume six Travelin On. Love this period. Never understood all the hatred against him. He doesn’t deserve it.
  12. That sounds like a highly creative piano player from the 1950’s. Could be Elmo Hope or Herbie Nichols? I know most of Hopes work so it’s probably not him
  13. Don’t know it and don’t really like it. Oh wait I could here it now. That’s Cecil Taylor. Must be an early date I guess, still sounds a little boppish. 

Thanks for this. Really enjoyed this BFT! Excellent en original choices.

25 minutes ago, Pim said:

1. Don’t know the singer. She’s okay. Tenor player sounds a lot like Shepp and this is quite his style.  I think it’s him. Overall okay song! Soul Eyes of course.  Yes, Shepp
  2. Don’t know this. Nice ballad, lovely tenor playing. Nothing very special but very pleasant music.
  3. Oh Abdullah Ibrahim my man. I love the guy and I love this record. So happy I have seen him live a couple of years ago. What a guy! Correct
  4. Yes I know this one! Lazy Afternoon by Pete LaRoca with the great Joe Henderson on tenor. Steve Kuhn is great too here. A pleasant break on the excellent Basra album. Correct
  5. I don’t know this but I like it very, very much. Fascinating composition, excellent piano playing and great trumpeter. I love this and need to get to know it! Edit: now that I am listening closer to the piano player, is that Horace Tapscott? Yes, Tapscott
  6. Interesting vibes player. Don’t know it. Music with lots of space. Cant say I really dig it. Khan Jamal? Walt Dickerson?
  7. No idea. Not my cup of tea
  8. Also not really my kind of thing though she definitely could sing. She has a nice voice to listen to. Cant identify her.
  9. Well that’s Sunny. Guitar player makes me think of Wes Montgomery? But I should have known this one then so it’s probably not him. Not enough thumb too. Love the bass player by the way. Great choice and I am curious who it is.
  10. Don’t know it but I should! Great music. Sounds like a ‘60’s steaming Postbop Blue Note Session. Tenor player reminds me a little of Sam Rivers but I don’t think it’s him. 
  11. That’s Oscar Peterson. I have this but can’t remember the album. An MPS date with Sam Jones and Bobby Durham? I remember! It’s volume six Travelin On. Love this period. Never understood all the hatred against him. He doesn’t deserve it.  Correct
  12. That sounds like a highly creative piano player from the 1950’s. Could be Elmo Hope or Herbie Nichols? I know most of Hopes work so it’s probably not him  Herbie Nichols
  13. Don’t know it and don’t really like it. Oh wait I could here it now. That’s Cecil Taylor. Must be an early date I guess, still sounds a little boppish. Correct

Thanks for this. Really enjoyed this BFT! Excellent en original choices.

Thank you.  We have had two quiet weeks so I was happy to see a new response.