• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

9 minutes ago, JSngry said:

Long overdue for an update:

91VouifrJlL.jpg

There's a name from the past!  Furman Bisher was the lead sports writer for the Atlanta Journal-Constitution when I was kid. 

I read his Braves coverage for years, but I was unaware of this book.  ...They should've had it in the Argyle Elementary School library in Smyrna!  😉

Furman Bisher was around - and already kind of a "senior figure" - when I was a kid! I think I got a first edition, for Christmas in 1966 or something. Couple of other books from this same series too. They were written for kids, but are fun for fans of any age!

Check this out, Bill James writes and appreciation as well as that possible update that's never yet happened:

https://www.billjamesonline.com/strange_but_true_turns_50/

3 hours ago, JSngry said:

Furman Bisher was around - and already kind of a "senior figure" - when I was a kid! I think I got a first edition, for Christmas in 1966 or something. Couple of other books from this same series too. They were written for kids, but are fun for fans of any age!

Check this out, Bill James writes and appreciation as well as that possible update that's never yet happened:

https://www.billjamesonline.com/strange_but_true_turns_50/

Content for the revised edition: Jimmy Piersall running the bases backwards?

I hope neither the Mets nor Marlins make or miss the playoffs by a game because that call for a walk-off HBP was absolute horseshit.

https://www.mlb.com/news/mets-walk-off-with-hit-by-pitch-in-home-opener?partnerId=zh-20210409-156906-MLB&qid=1026&bt_ee=VCzN5RyZ9Vuuy8pqbFTBhXrzJnPtKQ0vcHfl7vp3PGBWssu%2FPsG9nPbwi2D1PmJt&bt_ts=1617968339539

“The guy was hit by the pitch in the strike zone,” Kulpa told a pool reporter after the game. “I should have called him out.” 

Not to mention no effort to get out of the way, not to mention literally sticking his elbow pad into the flight of the ball. Lame.

Look at the video in the MLB story linked, from :28 - :33. His elbow literally moves laterally about two inches into the path of the ball. How is that not intentional? He says he tracks outside pitches? Wasn't outside, my man. It was close enough for you to stick your protected elbow in the way, though.

Just BS on multiple levels.

I just think it was a reflex move on his part but whether it was intentional or not, it was in the strike zone and should have been called a strike. Refs blow calls sometimes. It happens. I’m sure I’d be mad if I were the Marlins.

A bad call no doubt. 

Edited by Brad

Rodon was one errant pitch away from a perfect game. Oh well, the no-hitter will do. 

Rodon's college coach had him throwing way too much. A case of a guy that just wanted to wins and not what was best for the player. Hoping Rodon has his groove back after some rough years in recent past.