MLB 2021: it’s baseball season!

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So AL East fans:

No competition left for the division, but three teams/two wild card slots, 1/2 game separation with 14-15 games left.

I know the Red Sox have fewer games, more days off, and six left with the Orioles, three with the Nats.

Yanks have Indians and Rangers but then Sox, Jays and Rays to finish, with first two on the road? That could be hard.

Toronto is so hot right now and they get the Twins for six and the Orioles to finish. I think they have to be favored to host WC game.

#2 will depend a lot on how Yankees navigate their last nine, and whether the Orioles or Nats are able to be spoilers.

Who ya got, regardless of rooting interest?

Mike Lupica is a lifelong New Yorker, right?  MLB let's him look at this weekend's tilt between the Sox and Yankees, and he comes up with this lunacy:

Because then they twice played each other in the most dramatic events between them since Bucky Dent’s home run won a one-game playoff between them in Fenway Park on Oct. 2, 1978, the year that the Yankees came from 14 1/2 games back to finally catch the Sox the last week of the regular season.

https://www.mlb.com/news/red-sox-yankees-series-will-impact-wild-card-standings

The "Boston Massacre" took place September 7 - 10th and put the teams on even footing. The Yankees went on to build a 3.5 game lead over the Sox before faltering a bit. The Yankees were up a game with a week to go and won six straight. The Sox won seven straight and forced the playoff on the last day of the regular season when, IIRC, Cleveland beat the Yankees to play temporary spoiler.

It's just pathetic when a guy who made his nut as a NY sports columnist, seemingly forever, gets shit like this wrong - and of course no one at MLB.com is going to know the truth and edit him.

Edited by Dan Gould

While the Sox collapse accelerates, I just want to say that the Jays should make Kevin Kiermaier their personal target from now until he leaves the game, the same way the Rays threw at Brian Daubach, every single game for the rest of his career, after he came in hard and heavy to protect Pedro at the mound.

I saw the video when this happened, the way he stared at the card and after grabbing it looked back at the Jays dugout to make sure no one saw him, he knew exactly what he was doing and what it was .... but I didn't know until seeing this breakdown how he got to the dugout and handed it off to the coach. He's a douchebag and a liar - just own up to what you did.

Also, the Jays need to secure their shit better because I can't believe the guy lost his card again on the play when they did plunk him. 

From marathon to sprint to slow-motion car wreck.  What an abomination.

And now, with absolutely no room for error, the Sox manic-depressive offense is in full-on depressive mode, and somehow has to win three straight at the Nats with one of Schwarber, Martinez and Dalbec stuck on the bench. At this point I hope they are eliminated by Saturday night. All that will take is two more embarrassing losses and two wins by Seattle.

On 9/24/2021 at 7:30 PM, Chuck Nessa said:

Back in the Spring, hoping for the best, my wife Ann bought tickets (prime seats for all 3 games) for the late season Cubs visit to Pittsburgh hoping to see the Cubs "clinch". Since then, the owners dumped all the players and we will be spending big bucks to watch the Sub-Cubs.

We just returned from 4 days in Pittsburgh. Cubs won 2 of 3 and gave the Pirates their loss #100. Third game last night began with a first pitch home run and the game ended 9 - 0.

Sweet ending.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/5/2021 at 1:49 AM, BFrank said:

Going to the first Giants (Dodgers/Cards) Division Series on Friday. My only game this year. Should be WILD!

Sorry for the pain you must feel. Incredible that two teams could have such records in the same division especially when San Diego was the hot pick going into the season.  IMO definitely a bad call on the check swing.

A bit out of sorts with Sale named as Game 1 starter. Eovaldi is certainly the easy choice, on regular rest. Supposedly Sale "found it" between his last near-disaster of a start and now. We should know pretty quickly tonight if that was really the case.

If Sale gives 5 quality innings and he sticks with the best of his bullpen - like Houk for three innings and Whitlock for the 9th, this could be a big advantage with Eovaldi going in Game 2.

But if Sale sucks again that's a lot of pressure for game 2 to go back to the Fens with a split. 

We used to say "In Theo We Trust". If this works I guess it will be "In Alex we Trust".

13 hours ago, ghost of miles said:

Game 2 looking pretty good for Boston so far! ;)

This was a must-win and they did. So ... 3 out of 5 in Boston but last 2 in Houston - doesn't feel like home field advantage.

Assuming they do reach the Series, glad to see Atlanta won last night. I think the Dodgers would make mincemeat out of most of the Red Sox staff, plus I wouldn't want Pujols in the lineup as the DH. If Atlanta can pull the upset, and we do beat Houston, then we get home-field advantage despite coming out of the wild card spot.

(Which brings up another bit of total confusion: The whole idea was that with play in games (and potentially more than one), Wild Card teams were supposed to be at a bigger disadvantage, having probably used their best starter to get in to the dance, and maybe second best to secure their spot in the last game of the season.  Yet, now, if you do get thru to the World Series and have best record, you host 1-2 and 5-6?  If its the Dodgers and Houston, Dodgers should suffer for not winning the division and start on the road, 106 wins be damned.)

Edited by Dan Gould

On 10/15/2021 at 6:35 AM, Dan Gould said:

Sorry for the pain you must feel. Incredible that two teams could have such records in the same division especially when San Diego was the hot pick going into the season.  IMO definitely a bad call on the check swing.

A bit out of sorts with Sale named as Game 1 starter. Eovaldi is certainly the easy choice, on regular rest. Supposedly Sale "found it" between his last near-disaster of a start and now. We should know pretty quickly tonight if that was really the case.

If Sale gives 5 quality innings and he sticks with the best of his bullpen - like Houk for three innings and Whitlock for the 9th, this could be a big advantage with Eovaldi going in Game 2.

But if Sale sucks again that's a lot of pressure for game 2 to go back to the Fens with a split. 

We used to say "In Theo We Trust". If this works I guess it will be "In Alex we Trust".

Yeah - it was a drag, but the bats had gone missing for a week or two before that. So it wasn’t totally unexpected.
We had a great year anyway. 

Continuing my monologue of commentary about the post-season, if the Red Sox get the Nick Pivetta who, in 1/2 of his starts, allowed 2 or fewer earned runs, I like our chances to put the Astros on the brink. Especially turning to Grienke for the start and his recent issues/inactivity.

OTOH if we get the other Pivetta and the Astros start to hitting as they are very capable of doing, I'll be deeply worried going into a Game 5 with Sale.  He could put us back in Houston having Eovaldi and E-Rod on the hill to pull it out.

Much better that Pivetta pitch and the red-hot bats keep going.

I wonder if I'll regret rooting for the Braves.  Dodgers have their work cut out for them, that's for sure.

Thought I had posted about how horrific and disastrous last night's collapse was ... but I cannot tell you how good it feels to know I won't need to waste any more time watching a fundamentally flawed embarrassment of a roster complete their ignominious departure on Friday.

And for the record, color me extremely happy to know that the Legend of Alex Cora (tm) is dying.  That was BS from the start. And this is proof that if you don't have the players, you don't get the results of your "magic".

• 2 weeks later...