AllenLowe

Review of Turn Me Loose White Man, WSJ

33 posts in this topic

On 4/12/2021 at 3:20 AM, Dan Gould said:

If that is the wrong use of cringe

But it's not wrong. There's no reason to believe he didn't mean "certain people are starting to (expect to be beaten)."

7 hours ago, Captain Howdy said:

But it's not wrong. There's no reason to believe he didn't mean "certain people are starting to (expect to be beaten)."

That's ludicrous.

Actually there is every reason to believe that he meant "certain people are starting to (feel embarrassment over his immature behavior)"

boy, I go away for a few days and miss the whole seminar - we need S.I. Hayakawa. Better still - buy the book and CDs and then we'll talk.

Edited by AllenLowe

17 hours ago, Dan Gould said:

That's ludicrous.

Actually there is every reason to believe that he meant "certain people are starting to (feel embarrassment over his immature behavior)"

Ok, I re-read the lyrics and it looks like you're right. So?

14 hours ago, AllenLowe said:

boy, I go away for a few days and miss the whole seminar - we need S.I. Hayakawa. Better still - buy the book and CDs and then we'll talk.

What, are you still here? ;)

Edited by Captain Howdy

18 hours ago, AllenLowe said:

All set to continue reading with Vol. 2 as soon as it hits my mailbox so I for one am rarin' to go.  ^_^

10 hours ago, Captain Howdy said:

Ok, I re-read the lyrics and it looks like you're right. So?

Well I don't really care about your linguistic point, correct or not, but when I read it I immediately thought of those lyrics as an example so I had to point them out, which you denied, to which I felt compelled to respond.  

Anyway, "my job is too dutiful" and I must return to it. :g