Harold Land - Westward Bound!

mjzee

• 3 weeks later...

Doing rough headmath, I'd say that TT = 70 mins, about.

Carmel is on the first 24 minutes and sounds wonderful, both in solo and as a frontline partner with Land. Joe Lovano comments that this sounds like a rehearsed unit, and I concur. Them slickass heads are together!

Liner notes are a little weak, though. Zevvers who really should learn to tone down the ego and place his self-congratulatory Producer's Notes for the end, not at the top. Same with Weeds, who's a little less transparently full of himself. Really not a lot to be learned in any of these notes, but I guess what else is there to say at this point, other than CHECK OUT HAROLD LAND!!!!

Enjoying this very much again today. Harold Land, speaking the/that language in full-featured comfort and wisdom.

I notice that on the last set, it's Monk Montgomery doing the band intro….does that mean that it was actually his group? Other than Land himself, he's the only constant, so were one, two, or three of his actually his gigs?