Chico Hamilton on Crown

mjzee

9 minutes ago, Chuck Nessa said:

I believe those are tracks from various Pacific Jazz/World Pacific albums.

OK, that makes sense; thanks.

Chico Hamilton With Paul Horn: Porch Light, Autumn Landscape, Uyawda (probably Uganda), Lolly Pop: from "Chico Hamilton Trio."  Pluck It, Katz Up, Crazy Cats (prob. Classical Katz), Lord Randall: from "Zen: The Music of Fred Katz."

The Great Chico Hamilton Featuring Paul Horn: Blues On The Rock, Street Of Drums, Skinned Strings, Nutty: from "Chico Hamilton Trio."  Montuna, Suite For Horn: from "Zen: The Music of Fred Katz."

They often changed track titles and all. Discographically, a nightmare. I'd say these are all bootlegs.

On 4.4.2021 at 9:53 PM, Bill Nelson said:

However, with Crown you get outstanding audio fidelity from top quality vinyl.

That's not true with the three LPs I have with Tjader tracks on them.

• 9 months later...

Before we get all snobby about Crown, don't forget that two of the greatest albums ever made were recorded for Crown:

• Jazz Heat, Bongo Beat by the Latin Jazz All-Stars, featuring Buddy Collette; and
  • Kapu by Milt Raskin, later reissued as Exotic Percussion.

Crown will always be an important record label to TTK because of these two masterpieces.

Edited by Teasing the Korean

On 2021-04-06 at 7:23 PM, mikeweil said:

They often changed track titles and all. Discographically, a nightmare. I'd say these are all bootlegs.

That's not true with the three LPs I have with Tjader tracks on them.

I suppose the comment on sound quality was a joke. :)

But regarding bootlegs, it appears that Crown sometimes seems to have had access to orpginal Pacific Jazz tapes, so I wonder what the deal between the companies was. The reason for my conclusion regarding tapes is the information in this thread:

where it seems as if tracks were released on Crown before the same versions (unedited, stereo versions for instance) had been released by Pacific Jazz themselves.