Jimmy Woods - CONFLICT

Rooster_Ties

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...just talked with Martin Banks....

Jimmy Woods had, ironically enough, just called Martin.

Jimmy now lives in Anchorage, Alaska and gigs at Sullivan's Steakhouse there.

His parents were heavy into real estate and he inhereted their holdings. Seems he must have been doing well financially I guess.

Still an active player. Love to hear him.

OMG!!! :excited::excited::excited: I would have bet $100 that Woods was no longer playing, or possibly not even with us any longer.

Wonder why he didn't record more?? Woods' complete discography (including sideman dates) isn't any bigger than Tyrone Washington's, far as I can tell.

Edited by Rooster_Ties

His parents were heavy into real estate and he inhereted their holdings. Seems he must have been doing well financially I guess.

Nice to hear, for a change, that a jazz musician is doing well financially in the latter part of his life. The same could not be said of Dupree Bolton, for instance, or about 2,000 others.

...just a footnote...if you have any of the JAZZ SCENE USA videos, in the opening credits is a montage of clube facades. On one of the windows of one of them, in shoe polish, it's written who's playing during the week....on Thursday...it says...JIMMY WOODS. :D wish I could have made THAT thursday gig!.

Does the vinyl copy include the bonus tracks?

I have the 'Boplicity' UK LP reissue of this session. The track listing is:

Side 1:

'Conflict'

'Coming Home'

'Aim'

Side 2:

'Apart Together'

'Look To Your Heart'

'Pazmuerte'.

Any info on the bonus tracks?

:rhappy:

and if there was any town in continental America that was most unlikely to have a jazz scene it would be Anchorage IMO. Excellent to hear that Jimmy Woods is still actively playing here. :)

Edited by sidewinder

Man I ca't believe it.  I waited YEARS before finally breaking down and buying the Japanese mini lp a few months ago!  Bummer!

By the way, I'm gonna set Peter up with a burn of the bonus tracks. Pete - it might take a week or so for me to get to it, but I'll see that you get these...

Excellent news!!! Between "Conflict" being available in Europe, and also on emusic - we should definitely do this as our album-of-the-week sometime soon. Maybe we could pick this well in advance of the week we're doing it, so people have time to get it and spin it a few times.