Jimmy Woods - CONFLICT

Rooster_Ties

Excellent news!!! Between "Conflict" being available in Europe, and also on emusic - we should definitely do this as our album-of-the-week sometime soon. Maybe we could pick this well in advance of the week we're doing it, so people have time to get it and spin it a few times.

That's a great idea!

:D

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey, could we hold off on doing "Conflict" as the AOTW until I get back from my trip to the Pacific Northwest?? I won't have any Internet access for a couple weeks in mid-June, so sometime after that would be good (after June 23rd, to be exact).

( Not my turn to pick anyway, so I gotta hope somebody else chooses it. )

Thanks, Rooster. I didn't even THINK to search for another thread on this guy. I just stumbled on the album and didn't realize that it was a new re-release, either. It just looked interesting.

... I'm downloading both of the Woods' plus the Joe Gordon now ...

• 2 months later...

Just thought I'd bump this topic up (since it came up in another thread), for some exposure, and to plug "Conflict" for future consideration as an "Album of the Week".

I listened to it again a couple weeks ago, and was still blown away. If anybody doesn't have this one yet, then go out, right now, and get it. Go on!! I'll wait here...

Edited by Rooster_Ties

The ZYX issue hasn't made the UK yet. It was listed to appear at £7.99 back in May, I even sold my Boplicity lp, but it's subsequently disappeared from the lists. It seems to be more expensive on Amazon.de.

Delays like this are par for the course for the British distributors.

• 4 months later...

just to inform you: it has not been issued in Europe

Has this ever come out in Europe?? - meaning the new issue, with the bonus tracks???

Just wondering... -- Rooster T.

Is this available everywhere on the planet now???

I'd like to see this be an Album of the Week sometime after the first of the year. How about in January???

(Is it still on e-music too??)

• 2 years later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 years later...

just wondering, i don't have the lord discography but their webpage says he participated in 11 sessions between 1960 and 1989...

i am aware of eight sessions (possibly some of these are more than one session..., actually in the case of awakening i am almost certain)

Jimmy Woods - Awakening

Jimmy Woods - Conflict

Teddy Edwards - Back to Avalon

Joe Gordon - Lookin' Good

Chico Hamilton - chic chic chico

Gerald Wilson - three sessions in the mosaic

plus studio work with nancy wilson - so there isn't much left? but i'm wondering about the 1989 entry... would anybody be so kind to look up for me what else is in lord? (just the titles...)

there's also one session with joe gordon and horace tapscott in the tapscott collection at ucla which i guess isn't in lord...

just wondering, i don't have the lord discography but their webpage says he participated in 11 sessions between 1960 and 1989...

i am aware of eight sessions (possibly some of these are more than one session..., actually in the case of awakening i am almost certain)

Jimmy Woods - Awakening

Jimmy Woods - Conflict

plus studio work with nancy wilson - so there isn't much left? but i'm wondering about the 1989 entry... would anybody be so kind to look up for me what else is in lord? (just the titles...)

there's also one session with joe gordon and horace tapscott in the tapscott collection at ucla which i guess isn't in lord...

There is one entry in Bruyninckx for 1989 which mentions Jimmy Woods. It's an album by Januscz Carmeillo called 'Portrait' on the Hep label. Jimmy plays on one track, 'Daydream'. It was recorded on June 3, 1989 in Edinburgh, Scotland.

Edited by Head Man

Jimmy Woods - Awakening

Jimmy Woods - Conflict

There is one entry in Bruyninckx for 1989 which mentions Jimmy Woods. It's an album by Januscz Carmeillo called 'Portrait' on the Hep label. Jimmy plays on one track, 'Daydream'. It was recorded on June 3, 1989 in Edinburgh, Scotland.

why couldn't they make it three tracks... thanks!! been playing these albums quite a lot recently... imho awakening is a good deal better than the rest... (and it's one of my ten favorite hard bop albums), back to avalon has really grown on me though... (but more for the package as a whole and for teddy edwards contributions)

(only recent news item i could find, posted this before i guess

http://www.mtaonline.net/~midnight/james.html )

Edited by Niko

• 3 months later...

...just talked with Martin Banks....

Jimmy Woods had, ironically enough, just called Martin.

Jimmy now lives in Anchorage, Alaska and gigs at Sullivan's Steakhouse there.

His parents were heavy into real estate and he inherited their holdings. Seems he must have been doing well financially I guess.

Still an active player. Love to hear him.

Today is Jimmy's 75th birthday .

Can anyone give us an update on his whereabouts and well-being ?