Roy Hargrove/Mulgrew Miller IN HARMONY, out in June

ghost of miles

I'll definitely be checking this out.  Via a marketing email I received today:

>>I’m thrilled to be working with Resonance Records for the release of In Harmony, a stunning set of live performances by the late Roy Hargrove on trumpet and Mulgrew Miller on piano. The previously unreleased recordings from 2006 and 2007 will be available June 12 as a limited-edition 180-gram 2-LP Record Store Day exclusive and June 18th as a deluxe 2-CD and digital edition issued in coordination with the Hargrove and Miller Estates.

“From the very first time I heard these recordings, I was immediately taken by the sheer virtuosity of these two masters’ ability to mesh with each other,” says Resonance Records Co-President and Co-Producer of In Harmony Zev Feldman. “They’re playing their hearts out. I personally find these to be some of the most daring and beautiful interpretations of classic jazz repertoire I’ve heard. It’s an honor for Resonance to be able to collaborate with the families of Roy Hargrove and Mulgrew Miller to bring this music to their many fans, and we thank them for the opportunity.”

The first posthumous Hargrove release since the trumpeter’s untimely passing on November 2, 2018 at age 49, the release features an elaborate booklet with rare photos, an informative essay by Ted Panken, interviews and statements from Sonny Rollins, Christian McBride, Common, Ron Carter, Jon Batiste, Karriem Riggins, Keyon Harold, Ambrose Akinmusire, Chris Botti, Robert Glasper and others.<<

Both were so great. 

And too bad that they died so early. I had thought that the early death of jazzman was mostly Jazzmasters of the 40´s. Until the shock news in 1989 that Woody Shaw had died. I had the wrong illusion that the younger jazzmen were sober and drugs had come out of fashion. I think I read this from Art Blakey once. He said the youngsters that work for him are stone sober and drink only orange juice and stuff like that....

Update that this release is being pushed back to July:

>>Yesterday, after we announced the project, Resonance Records heard from the manufacturer that delays at the plant will result in the Roy Hargrove / Mulgrew Miller recording In Harmony being moved to a later release date.

The album will now be released on the second Record Store Day, which is July 17, 2021 for the vinyl edition. The CD and digital edition will be released on July 23.<<