Record Store Day 2021

Brad

I also see that they're issuing some version of Cat Stevens' "Harold And Maude" soundtrack. I guess they see those insane prices for the extremely limited 2007 vinyl issue and want a piece of that. Of course, those flippers holding onto said 2007 issue are probably kicking themselves now.

5 minutes ago, Dub Modal said:

They're really calling that Evans album "Behind the Dikes"? Okay then...

There's also a Various Artists comp called "Behind The Dykes 2". :)

11 minutes ago, bresna said:

I also see that they're issuing some version of Cat Stevens' "Harold And Maude" soundtrack. I guess they see those insane prices for the extremely limited 2007 vinyl issue and want a piece of that. Of course, those flippers holding onto said 2007 issue are probably kicking themselves now.

There's also a Various Artists comp called "Behind The Dykes 2". :)

I saw that. :lol:

For the album’s release Grandmixer DXT worked his magic to bring the audio from the concert into the 21st century. Palo Alto: The Custodian's Mix uses the audio from the original tape to put you in that high school auditorium in October 1968 and lets you feel what it was like to be in the room.

No it won't. That's not how actually being in the room works.

Bird In L.A. Details, please? Already out there on other (specialty) labels, or just what, exactly? I see there's also CD on that one, yay!

If I was a few decades younger and knew that I would play it enough, I might get that Jonathan Winters set. But I'm not, and I don't.

hmmm...

https://charlieparkermusic.com/bird-100/#:~:text=In%20conjunction%20with%20Bird%20In%20LA%2C%20Z2%20Comics,two-month%20residency%20at%20Billy%20Berg%E2%80%99s%20Hollywood%20jazz%20club

This fall, Parker’s longtime label Verve Records, in conjunction with UMe, the global catalog company of Universal Music Group, will offer an illuminating new perspective on a previously underexamined chapter of Parker’s life with a new collection titled Bird In LA, featuring unreleased songs recorded during Bird’s storied visits to Los Angeles in the mid ‘40s through the early ‘50s.

I need to know does everybody have the same understanding of what "unissued" means...

1 hour ago, JSngry said:

hmmm...

https://charlieparkermusic.com/bird-100/#:~:text=In%20conjunction%20with%20Bird%20In%20LA%2C%20Z2%20Comics,two-month%20residency%20at%20Billy%20Berg%E2%80%99s%20Hollywood%20jazz%20club

This fall, Parker’s longtime label Verve Records, in conjunction with UMe, the global catalog company of Universal Music Group, will offer an illuminating new perspective on a previously underexamined chapter of Parker’s life with a new collection titled Bird In LA, featuring unreleased songs recorded during Bird’s storied visits to Los Angeles in the mid ‘40s through the early ‘50s.

I need to know does everybody have the same understanding of what "unissued" means...

Looks like the first legitimate release of the Jirayr Zorthian material.  Curious what their sources are.

No Sun Ra? I think every RSD has had at least one (and sometimes 2) Sun Ra records. I have all of them except for the Sun Ra Standards RSD release of a couple of years ago (RSD 2018, iirc).

The Grateful Dead Olympia Theatre, Paris, is a great show and the vinyl would be enticing but I already have the Europe '72 Complete Recordings box set and I wonder how much of a sonic upgrade (if at all) the new vinyl release will be compared to the CD (which sounds excellent).

The Roland Kirk is one I'll have to get.

2 hours ago, JSngry said:

hmmm...

If what is being released is the same as what’s mentioned in the article, I’m assuming it was delayed a year. 

7 hours ago, JSngry said:

Wonder if the tracks (I never found out what they were) from the flexi & 7" single that came with The CP graphic novel (from 2020) "Chasin' The Bird - Charlie Parker in California" will be on this upcoming Verve release

2 hours ago, JSngry said:

and if it's fully complete.

I have a download of the Definitive release of the Zorthian tape.  Here's a comparison of the Verve to the Definitive:

LP 3
Side A
July 14, 1952
Party at Jirayr Zorthian’s Ranch, top of Fair Oaks Avenue, Altadena, California                                                 Definitive
1. Scrapple from the Apple (incomplete)................................................................................. 5:44.                   6:04
2. Au Privave/Dance of the Infidels......................................................................................... 13:11.                 13:14
Side B
1. Night in Tunisia...................................................................................................................... 7:33.                 7:00
2. How High the Moon/Ornithology......................................................................................... 7:31.                  6:57
3. Party Chatter into Embraceable You .................................................................................... 3:45                  3:45

LP 4
Side A
1. Hot House ............................................................................................................................. 7:07.                6:36
2. Cool Blues............................................................................................................................ 12:15.               12:29
Side B
1. March Noodling/Dixie........................................................................................................... 4:12.                  4:23

Probably July 28, 1952 at Zorthian’s Ranch
2. Scrapple from the Apple...................................................................................................... 13:14.                13:24

So it's probably a net wash, and the differences in timing could be due to conversation being attached to one track instead of another.

There are also differences in track order.  This may be due to Verve's needing to sequence this material for LP sides.  The order on the Definitive:

Night In Tunisia, Ornithology, Embraceable You, Hot House, Scrapple (long version), Cool Blues, Dixie/March, Scrapple (short version), Au Privave/Dance.

1 hour ago, romualdo said:

Wonder if the tracks (I never found out what they were) from the flexi & 7" single that came with The CP graphic novel (from 2020) "Chasin' The Bird - Charlie Parker in California" will be on this upcoming Verve release

I would think so as it seems they were supposed to be released at the same time. 

1 hour ago, Dan Gould said:

My best recollection was that the Zorthian stuff sound was pretty much bottom of the barrel?  

I found this, https://m.soundcloud.com/kcrw/charlie-parker-performing-at-zorthian-ranch-on-july-14-1952

Not pristine and not exactly unknown.

A review from All About Jazz of this material is not too complimentary. 

https://www.allaboutjazz.com/at-jirayr-zorthians-ranch-july-14-1952-charlie-parker-disconforme-review-by-david-rickert.php?width=414

Also from JazzTimes, https://jazztimes.com/archives/charlie-parker-at-jirayr-zorthians-ranch/

Edited by Brad

ok, so in on 1/2 there are well-known tracks from Jubilee and the Billy Berg's material which looks like this

http://www.plosin.com/MilesAhead/BirdSessions.aspx?s=451217b

the session with Joe Albany and Miles which is also well-known (but a personal favorite)

http://www.plosin.com/MilesAhead/BirdSessions.aspx?s=460300

and 13 minutes from JATP in a quartet with Al Haig... here, at least Losin doesn't report a previous issue...

http://www.plosin.com/MilesAhead/BirdSessions.aspx?s=481122

and then on LP 3/4 there is the deluxe edition of the Zorthian material...

Edited by Niko