Record Store Day 2021

Brad

21 minutes ago, sonnymax said:

Where does it say it's pitch-corrected?

Assumption on my part. The version that was released was supposedly cleaned up and in doing so, they messed with the pitch. I assume that they are releasing this "custodian's mix" as a result of the complaints. If this version is also out of pitch, then really, what is the point of it at all? :)

21 hours ago, Dub Modal said:

They're really calling that Evans album "Behind the Dikes"? Okay then...

Also, looks like Resonance is re-issuing the Lloyd Manhattan Stories on Vinyl, and the live set from Roland Kirk looks interesting. 

Probably in reference to the Jazz Behind the Dikes series on Philips:

https://www.discogs.com/Various-Jazz-Behind-The-Dikes-1955-57/release/5077104

22 minutes ago, clifford_thornton said:

Probably in reference to the Jazz Behind the Dikes series on Philips:

https://www.discogs.com/Various-Jazz-Behind-The-Dikes-1955-57/release/5077104

Is that as interesting as it looks?

8 hours ago, soulpope said:

Re. Kirk .... believe Gearbox will be releasing Cd's later .... ?

They have done that with the Don Cherry from last year's RSD, so there's hope

4 hours ago, clifford_thornton said:

It's straight ahead but good music, important release for sure.

I have only one of the original LPs from the 50s (Vol 2 iirc) and like it a lot...  very nice cool jazz / 50s mainstream

Having gone to the Record Store Day website I have a couple naive questions:

Will these records only be available from participating stores always and will they stick to the "limited editions"? E.g. If I want a cd of the Bird in LA does that mean I have to drive to LA on the day and brave the crowds at Amoeba or can I wait and presume that Verve will eventually want to sell more than 1800 copies of this cd.  

What has past experience shown? 

Edited by medjuck

3 hours ago, medjuck said:

Having gone to the Record Store Day website I have a couple naive questions:

Will these records only be available from participating stores always and will they stick to the "limited editions"? E.g. If I want a cd of the Bird in LA does that mean I have to drive to LA on the day and brave the crowds at Amoeba or can I wait and presume that Verve will eventually want to sell more than 1800 copies of this cd.  

What has past experience shown? 

Last year, most of my purchases were online. You’ll find that people will have it for a reasonable amount of money. I did go to a record store only hours later. There is nothing worth standing on line for hours.  

Edited by Brad

1 hour ago, Brad said:

Last year, most of my purchases were online. You’ll find that people will have it for a reasonable amount of money. I did go to a record store only hours later. There is nothing worth standing on line for hours.  

Is that on-lone from the stores?  I know Amoeba is on-line. 

6 hours ago, medjuck said:

Is that on-lone from the stores?  I know Amoeba is on-line. 

No, eBay or Discogs. Stores never seem to have enough copies of jazz titles and they sell out fast. I purchased the Coleman vinyl on Discogs and didn’t pay much more than the retail price. 

Bull Moose Music sells RSD material on line but I think they have to wait a certain number of days. 7 days maybe? For RSD Jazz releases, I've never had a problem finding them, even after the waiting period. Like Brad, I'm not waiting in line for hours to buy it on RSD. You could call Amoeba and ask them what their waiting period is and ask them to ship you the items you want after that day.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I picked up the Dr. John expanded reissue of The Sun, Moon and Herbs since it had so much additional material. Was able to get it from a re-seller for $4 over retail which makes me wonder why someone would take the time and effort to resell it.