Oh My....Is There A Tape?

JSngry

GERRY MULLIGAN WITH GIL EVANS JAZZ FESTIVAL ALL-STAR ORCHESTRA

Johnny Coles, Hobart Dotson (tp), Ken Shroyer (b-tb), Howard Johnson (tu, bars), Richard

Perissi, Enrico Sigismonti (frh), Billy Harper, Jay Migliori (reeds), Gerry Mulligan (bars, as),

Roger Kellaway, Gil Evans (p), Mike Johnson (g), Don Moore (b), Elvin Jones (dm)

Royce Hall, UCLA, Los Angeles, CA., October 8, 1966

• Godchild Unissued
  • Summertime As above
  • Line For Lyons As above
  • Scrapple From The Apple ° As above
  • Marguerite ° As above
  • Shadow Of Your Smile As above
  • King Porter Stomp As above

Notes: Concert at 8:30 pm.

° Quintet only: Gerry Mulligan (sop), Roger Kellaway (p), Mike Johnson (g),

Don Moore (b), Elvin Jones (dm)

If one exists, I'd love to hear it. One of things I treasure is the suite that Bob Brookmeyer wrote for Mulligan as the featured soloists. It was performed and broadcast in Europe, though Scott Robinson appeared on the eventual recording after Mulligan's death. I shared a copy with Brookmeyer.

Bob Brookmeyer & the New Art Orchestra: Salzau, Germany, August 12, 1994

City of Angels
Duets
King Porter Stomp
Dreams
Celebration: Jig
Celebration: Slow Dance
Celebration: Remembering
Celebration: Two And

Bob Brookmyer-vlv tbn, cond
Gerry Mulligan-bs (Celebration)
Oliver Leicht-reeds
Nils Van Haftern-reeds
Edgar Herzog-reeds
Paul Heller-reeds
Marco Lackner-reeds
Ralf Hesse-tpt
Thorsten Benkenstien-tpt, flug
Sebastian Strempel-tpt, flug
Wim Both-tpt, flug
Eckard Bauer-tpt, flug
Anael Soomary-tpt, flug
Ruud Breuls-tpt, flug
Ansgar Streipens-tbn
Christian Jakso-tbn
Domnik Stoeger-tbn
Christian Nasjö-tbn
Anders Wiborg-tbn
Ed Partyka-b tbn
Jurgen Grimm-keys
Kris Goessens-p
Ingmar Heller-b
John Hollenbeck-d
other musicians are also present...

Edited by Ken Dryden

https://tile.loc.gov/storage-services/master/music/mulligan/200003721/0001.pdf

looking at all of this, there are a lot of...interesting encounters over the years. Mulligan was, of course, what is the word, peripatetic in his activities, and a lot of this is "expected", but - not all. More encounters with Monk than just the (tepid, imo) Riverside album.

And apparently there are LOC tapes for some of it, including rehearsal tapes for The Age Of Steam...and other things as well.

I went in simply looking to see how long Chico Hamilton was with the quartet (not long at all, it turns out), but ended up staying to look at all the gigs for the Quartet with Brookmeyer (god there were a LOT), and then...Mulligan at Newport resulted in a lot of one-offs (daily!), and then....it just goes on...

I've never really "loved" Mulligan, but he was one of my first imprints (time/place/general weird fate) and still come back once in a while just to check it all out again, you know how that goes, appreciation gets refined with the application of broadened realities. But this document is kinda...arresting. One guy pops up in all of these places over the years...crazy.

and c'mon, THIS!?!?!?!?!?!

Gerry Mulligan (sop), Roger Kellaway (p), Mike Johnson (g), Don Moore (b), Elvin Jones (dm)

• Scrapple From The Apple
  • Marguerite

WTF?!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!!

I wrote the liner notes to The Classic Concert Live and was dismayed when they sent the advance CDR and discovered that they had omitted all of Mulligan's big band instrumentals. I don't believe that this entire broadcast was aired as a part of NPR's Jazz Alive!, because I taped it when it aired. So I was already very familiar with the music long before the CD came into being.

Kool Jazz Festival, Carnegie Hall, New York City, N.Y., June 29, 1982

Another Kind Of Sunday (4:36/4:18)  Big Band

42nd And Broadway ** (5:32/5:08) Big Band

K-4 Pacific (10:17)  Big Band

There are several songs listed as being broadcast on Jazz Alive! that are not present on my 1982 cassettes. Unless they aired on a separate broadcast, this may be in error in this discography.

Concord Jazz should have issued a 2 CD set, there was more than enough great material, though Torme's loopy ending to the Willard Robison medley probably made it unusable.

On 4/9/2021 at 10:38 AM, JSngry said:

GERRY MULLIGAN WITH GIL EVANS JAZZ FESTIVAL ALL-STAR ORCHESTRA

Johnny Coles, Hobart Dotson (tp), Ken Shroyer (b-tb), Howard Johnson (tu, bars), Richard

Perissi, Enrico Sigismonti (frh), Billy Harper, Jay Migliori (reeds), Gerry Mulligan (bars, as),

Roger Kellaway, Gil Evans (p), Mike Johnson (g), Don Moore (b), Elvin Jones (dm)

Royce Hall, UCLA, Los Angeles, CA., October 8, 1966

• Godchild Unissued
  • Summertime As above
  • Line For Lyons As above
  • Scrapple From The Apple ° As above
  • Marguerite ° As above
  • Shadow Of Your Smile As above
  • King Porter Stomp As above

Notes: Concert at 8:30 pm.

° Quintet only: Gerry Mulligan (sop), Roger Kellaway (p), Mike Johnson (g),

Don Moore (b), Elvin Jones (dm)

Whoa. Where did you find this discography entry? If the material is listed as unissued, then clearly a tape exists.