Bob Porter has died

rostasi

1 minute ago, Dan Gould said:

Definitely sad news. I'm glad that Soul Jazz got published, it's a great legacy in addition to the production credits and a lot more. 

I loved the concentration on what was commercially a hit in the community as the key metric of success. It helped cut through the general critical noise we all take for granted.

Dammit. I talked at length with him on the phone when I did the Night Lights show following the release of Soul Jazz, and felt fortunate to more directly experience the passion and grace that suffused everything he did. We carried Portraits In Blue for many years when the show was syndicated. Very sorry to read this news.

Bob was a fountain of knowledge who I could always rely upon for tidbits of information from when I first met him forty years ago. Over the years we became good friends and business associates in the record business, and we did many deals together. I know I'll be one of many who will miss him. 

RIP MY DAWG BOB PORTER, I cant believe he was already 80. When he was 5 years younger than I am now and just 5 years before I came to earth, he had the foresight to run this off while they were putting together "Gene Ammons: The 78 era."- seems like it's probably the only copy outside the vault.  THANK YOU BOB PORTER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Enjoy your time in space, hope youre life review goes well and hope you get to experience an even more musical and jazzier planet to try out next.  

Edited by chewy-chew-chew-bean-benitez

Michael Cuscuna shared his personal recollections somewhere. This intrigued me:

I mentioned to Bob that I had finally found one of the rare LPs on my want list and it was very disappointing. With a strong stare in my direction, he intoned, "you know, most rare records are rare for very good reason." 

I somewhat disagree with this statement. Discuss.

1 minute ago, bertrand said:

Michael Cuscuna shared his personal recollections somewhere. This intrigued me:

I mentioned to Bob that I had finally found one of the rare LPs on my want list and it was very disappointing. With a strong stare in my direction, he intoned, "you know, most rare records are rare for very good reason." 

I somewhat disagree with this statement. Discuss.

What recording was it, Bertrand?

He can be right, and he can be wrong.  Transition didn't have great distribution, right? But finding an original Transition release maybe really hard but it doesn't mean those Donald Byrd records are bad.

OTOH I used a recording by Jimmy Colvin on my last BFT, the whole record is awesome, IMHO, and probably about as rare as hen's teeth. So its one of those "rare" records that didn't deserve it's fate in the marketplace? In the end its about expectations, and in many cases, "crazy collector" syndrome, too.