Pet peeves

mjzee

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the purpose of the “just sold out” is so if someone saw something earlier the same day (or maybe within the last 24 hours), they can then get positive confirmation that it really was there, and to more clearly explain why it’s not available (as opposed to it just suddenly not appearing at all).

Yeah, "just sold out" seems to be a more or less realtime purchase tracker. It all gets cleaned up at some interval, but that looks to be a separate process, probably having to do with inventory database 

I very much appreciate this, because it has significantly reduced the instances or ordering stuff and then getting an order receipt where half of it is already gone  especially when there's just one anchor purchase with a few secondary items thrown on and it ends up being just the secondary ones that get filled. Hate that.

My current concern involves when a title is incorrectly rendered ("June Tenth Jamboree" for "Juneteenth Jamboree" or "When I Grow Too Old For Dreams" for "When I Grow Too Old to Dream") or when a song is incorrectly identified entirely (I am trying to unscramble some of the Lester Young Keynote titles on the Mosaic set).

• 2 weeks later...

Somebody forgot to double check the songwriters for Bill Evans: Behind The Dikes. Irving Mills is listed as M. Irvin and Evans is credited for the second version of Denny Zeitlin’s “Quiet Now,” an error likely repeated from the bootlegs of the same name. At least they got everything else correct.

• 3 weeks later...

Another pet peeve: when recording data is listed on a jacket in such an abbreviated form that it seems more like computer code, as if it costs them per character.  Example: disc 4 of the Sir John Barbirolli Warner box.  There are 17 tracks on the disc.  Here's how the recording dates are listed:

Recorded: 11.XII.1929 (9), 21.VII (3), 20.VIII (10-14), 1933, Kingsway Hall, London; 4.V (16), 18 (1-2) & 19.X (4-7,17), 1933, 29.VI.1934 (8,15), No. 1 Studio, Abbey Road London.

Graphic designers who not only use a tiny, hard to read font, but also use all lower case for the text. That combination made reading Neil Tesser's liner notes for the Bill Evans Trio: On A Friday Evening an endurance test.

Not to mention, who is responsible for crediting Jim Hall as co-writer for "The Two Lonely People" on that CD? Evans wrote the music, though Carol Hall later added a lyric.

18 hours ago, Ken Dryden said:

Not to mention, who is responsible for crediting Jim Hall as co-writer for "The Two Lonely People" on that CD? Evans wrote the music, though Carol Hall later added a lyric.

Did it specifically say "Jim Hall" or just "Hall"? I've see lyricists get composer credits on non-vocal versions, go figure that one.

1 hour ago, JSngry said:

Did it specifically say "Jim Hall" or just "Hall"? I've see lyricists get composer credits on non-vocal versions, go figure that one.

Generally I think you can credit both the composer and lyricist when the song is initially published with a lyric. Oscar Hammerstein Il wrote the lyric before his collaborators wrote the music. But when an instrumental has a lyric added later, there is no need to credit the lyricist unless there is a vocal on the track. That said, Marian McPartland always introduced her ballad “Afterglow” as “In the Days of Our Love” after Peggy Lee wrote a lyric for it, even when she performed or recorded it as an instrumental.

Bill Evans, Carol Hall and Jim Hall are all credited on “The Two Lonely People” on the CD that I mentioned.

There are often inconsistencies in the credits to an album, some songs include lyricists, others omit them, even when all songs are instrumentals.

• 1 month later...

Another huge pet peeve, releases listing "traditional" in place of songwriter credits, even when it is well established who wrote the piece. It shouldn't matter if the songwriters or lyricists are long dead, give them credit, even if expired copyrights mean no royalties are due.

Irving Berlin actually outlived some of his copyrights.

14 hours ago, Ken Dryden said:

Another huge pet peeve, releases listing "traditional" in place of songwriter credits, even when it is well established who wrote the piece. It shouldn't matter if the songwriters or lyricists are long dead, give them credit, even if expired copyrights mean no royalties are due.

Irving Berlin actually outlived some of his copyrights.

And vice versa, where people claim for themselves or attribute to others, songs that actually are traditional.  And just getting those things wrong generally.  I love Muddy Waters, but he is often credited with writing things he didn't - Got My Mojo Working, Baby Please Don't Go, Roll 'n Tumble, etc.

8 hours ago, danasgoodstuff said:

And vice versa, where people claim for themselves or attribute to others, songs that actually are traditional.  And just getting those things wrong generally.  I love Muddy Waters, but he is often credited with writing things he didn't - Got My Mojo Working, Baby Please Don't Go, Roll 'n Tumble, etc.

Agreed, like the century old Swedish folk tune that Stan Getz was credited with composing.

• 3 weeks later...

Another pet peeve: When a CD is mastered (especially classical CDs) and there's too great a difference between the softest and loudest passages.  For example, I'm experiencing this repeatedly with the Warner Barbirolli box.  Much of the performance is impossibly quiet (unrealistically so for a concert stage), and then it gets very, very loud.  It just comes off as annoying, almost an affectation.  This wasn't as big a problem with LPs, since mastering was always a little louder on the soft passages to compensate for surface noise.  But with CDs, I sometimes find myself having to ride the volume control, paying more attention to the mechanics rather than simply enjoying the music.

4 hours ago, mjzee said:

Another pet peeve: When a CD is mastered (especially classical CDs) and there's too great a difference between the softest and loudest passages.  For example, I'm experiencing this repeatedly with the Warner Barbirolli box.  Much of the performance is impossibly quiet (unrealistically so for a concert stage), and then it gets very, very loud.  It just comes off as annoying, almost an affectation.  This wasn't as big a problem with LPs, since mastering was always a little louder on the soft passages to compensate for surface noise.  But with CDs, I sometimes find myself having to ride the volume control, paying more attention to the mechanics rather than simply enjoying the music.

I think it's the market speaking, on that one. Classical listeners historically have been less accepting of compression. And after all, it is a technical advantage of CDs that they have more dynamic range than LPs.

On 1.9.2021 at 3:50 PM, Ken Dryden said:

Agreed, like the century old Swedish folk tune that Stan Getz was credited with composing.

Ack Värmeland du Sköna?

Bought a 78 of that very recording the other day where the tune is listed as "Standanavian". Nice play on words but not an indicator of the composer, of course. And FWIW, it IS credited as a "traditional" on the label.

When I was young, I bought a lot of those Musidisc LPs , and on some tunes to composer is listed as D.R., and I never knew who "D.R." is, or what that abreviaton means. You can find it for example on the LP "Tadd Dameron and Fats Navarro". By the way, on the cover it shows as "Birdland 1949", but actually it was "Royal Roost 1948). 
Or Bud Powell "From Birdland 1956" listed with Paul Chambers and Art Taylor, while it actually is from February 1953 with Oscar Pettiford and Roy Haynes. 

12 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

When I was young, I bought a lot of those Musidisc LPs , and on some tunes to composer is listed as D.R., and I never knew who "D.R." is, or what that abreviaton means.

Remember Musidisc is a FRENCH label. "D.R. " (an abbreviation I initially was a bit puzzled about too back in those 70s) means "Droits Réservés". That's the same thing as "Copyright Control" that figures as the composer credits for "traditional" or "public domain" tunes (or tunes where the actual songwriter/composer is unknown) on many English-language labels (mostly UK if I remember correctly).

As for incorrect identificatin of the venue on the sleeve - yes, Musidisc was bad on that (and they were far from the only label of that type that got the dates wrong) but OTOH it was the first and only label that made THAT much music available to us over here at that time. And often they just recopied incorrectly what had been botched up on earlier "grey market" releases that Musidisc had recycled (such as certain Alamac LPs, for example).

22 hours ago, Ken Dryden said:

I always thought it stood for “dumb researcher.” I think the label often relied on Boris Rose’s deliberately incorrect dates and venues, though I bought a fair amount of Musidisc LPs in the 1970s.

It's that certain kind of dumb that serves as a fictional pretense to avoid cutting a check. It's not like the authors of "Pennies from Heaven" or "Anthropology" are difficult to identify.