Bobby Timmons - The Soul Man

mjzee

I felt very fortunate when I stumbled across this issue of that LP with another:

https://www.discogs.com/Bobby-Timmons-The-Soul-Man-Soul-Food/release/9180956

Although, I think I once had a copy of the original vinyl, or something close to original?  I know I was happy to get the two-on-one CD, and at a normal used CD price. This was pre-internet (for me).

Did they ask Wayne if he was OK with them pulling a 'Turkish Women At The Bath' on him? It is not even a photo from the same era (see Pet Peeves thread).

What they should have done instead of messing with the cover is try to find the bonus track, Remembrance. It still existed when Stuart Kremsky was the archivist. It is a piano solo.

1 hour ago, Dan Gould said:

I felt very fortunate when I stumbled across this issue of that LP with another:

https://www.discogs.com/Bobby-Timmons-The-Soul-Man-Soul-Food/release/9180956

That UK two-fer comp CD is the same one I have — but isn’t there also a different US two-fer comp CD under the title of the first of the two albums (with the Soul Man! tracks tacked on as bonus cuts on the back half?).

And I want to say the first date on that US two-fer CD isn’t a trio date, but maybe it has a vibe-player on it? (making it a quartet, still a Timmons leader-date, iirc). Anybody know which one I’m talking about? (I only discovered it after I’d gotten the other UK two-fer).

The thing is, I always wondered if that quartet date (the one with the vibes?) was better than Soul Food.

I don't play this often, but when I do it's a good listen. I recall it as being a bit rough (for instance, Timmons did not always sound comfortable, maybe on Tom Thumb - it's been too long - but nevertheless I like this version better than Shorter's on BN). 

Edited by Daniel A

48 minutes ago, Rooster_Ties said:

And I want to say the first date on that US two-fer CD isn’t a trio date, but maybe it has a vibe-player on it? (making it a quartet, still a Timmons leader-date, iirc). Anybody know which one I’m talking about? (I only discovered it after I’d gotten the other UK two-fer).

The thing is, I always wondered if that quartet date (the one with the vibes?) was better than Soul Food.

The cd twofer was titled "Workin' Out" and has Johnny Lytle on vibes.

8 hours ago, Daniel A said:

I don't play this often, but when I do it's a good listen. I recall it as being a bit rough (for instance, Timmons did not always sound comfortable, maybe on Tom Thumb - it's been too long - but nevertheless I like this version better than Shorter's on BN). 

Well, I must admit I like it very very much on Shorter´s BN. Actually "Schizophrenia" was the first Shorter album I had purchased when I was a teenager and it really grooves. 

About Bobby Timmons I really was impressed by those heavy chords on many of Art Blakey´s albums, and especially when I was young and loved that simple hard swinging things like "Moanin´" I would play it over and over again and enjoy it together with friends and we had a ball listening to those things like Moanin and Blues March, but I don´t listen so often to it now. 

On other BN albums where Timmons is a side man, I also thought that he doesn´t always sound comfortable....