Your favourite Latin jazz records since the 1970s

Rabshakeh

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anyone else share my aversion to the close miking of Latin percussion that came into vogue by the mid-1970s or so?  I much prefer the open room sound of percussion that is heard on Latin records from the 1950s and 60s.  This has always been a stumbling block for me in checking out Latin records from more recent decades.  

28 minutes ago, JSngry said:

Sitcoms shot on video. Not a problem here, just a different perspective on the experience, adjust accordingly.

The close-miking technique works well for me with certain genres of 70s music, but not others.  It works on Latin funk, for example.

I would be interested to know of any more recent-ish Latin jazz records or producers using an open room sound.

2 hours ago, Teasing the Korean said:

Does anyone else share my aversion to the close miking of Latin percussion that came into vogue by the mid-1970s or so?  I much prefer the open room sound of percussion that is heard on Latin records from the 1950s and 60s.  This has always been a stumbling block for me in checking out Latin records from more recent decades.  

I'm with you in that respect! Drums need a good sounding room.

• 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...

From 2005:

Ny03NTg1LmpwZWc.jpeg

First "description" that comes to mind is something shallow like "M-Base with clave", but that's not...accurate.

This record, though, IS good. Check it out!

Personnel -

• Yosvany Terry Cabrera: saxophone
  • Avishai Cohen: trumpet
  • Mike Moreno: guitar
  • Luis Perdomo: piano
  • Hans Glawishnig: bass
  • James Genus: bass
  • Yunior Terry Cabrera: bass
  • Pedro Martinez: percussion
  • Dafnis Prieto: drums
  • Jeff "Tain" Watts: drums

Ok, it's not all "Latin Jazz". But when it is, it IS.

Looks pretty intriguing…

is he the same Yosvany Terry who did the excellent Today’s Opinion?
4143ABCE-060B-47C0-8502-9DF668389F4F.jpeg

Just re-read this thread. It covers a lot of ground. Some great Latin jazz recommendations, forward thinking Norteno accordion jams and southern rock horrors.

Edited by Rabshakeh

• 2 weeks later...

I think I remember that somewhere in the 80´s a lot of people liked Paquito d´Rivera´s "Explosion". Some people I knew had that album and I copied it on tape and if I played the tape for parties with friends or drivin with some folks with the car, they all liked it, also people who otherwise don´t listen to "jazz". 
In my case it had that "wow" effect on first and second listening . I had known Paquito from his playing with Diz so he already had a name. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 11.7.2021 at 8:44 PM, Teasing the Korean said:

Do you know of any Latin jazz records from more recent decades that have taken an open room approach?

I found a few, maybe there is something for you among them.

David Chesky produced a few albums with one point recording in his favourite venue, St.Peter's church in New York:

Mi5qcGVn.jpeg

The three congueros with tres, bass, vocals, and claves, more like Son.

NC05Njg5LmpwZWc.jpeg

With horns, Chocolate Armenteros, Phi Woods, Jimmy Bosch, Mario Rivera - Chocolate's sweet tone is perfectly captured. It features some old Latin Jazz warhorses.

dave-liebman-ceremony_cover-1500x1500_10

Rather experimental, but falls into the category.

JD100-Mongo_Santamaria_-_Mambo_Mongo_102

No idea why this one was still missing in my collection. I ordered a copy.

NEW_JD365-Candido_-_The_Master_1024x1024

Just ordered this one, too!

Some Paquito D'Rivera, too, but I haven't heard these:

JD034-Paquito_D_Rivera_-_Tico_Tico_1024xJD060-Paquito_D_Rivera_-_Havana_Cafe_102NEW_JD186-Paquito_D_Rivera_-_Tropicana_NNEW_JD145-Paquito_D_Rivera_-_Portraits_O

Edited by mikeweil

On 11.7.2021 at 8:44 PM, Teasing the Korean said:

Do you know of any Latin jazz records from more recent decades that have taken an open room approach?

I think this Tito Puente CD is a one point recording:

MC03MzU3LmpwZWc.jpeg

If you can't find a cheap copy, send me a PM. There is a compilation on the sae label with 15 more minutes mfrom this ession that I also have.

Edited by mikeweil

11 hours ago, Teasing the Korean said:

The YouTube algorithm gave me "Sweet Cherry Pie" by Hilton Ruiz, and I must say, the YouTube algorithm is doing a great job!  It sounds like a groovy Verve track from the 1960s.

That track is from this LP, one of his last. That mellow tenor sax is Chico Freeman! Sounds interesting!

MTktMjYzOS5qcGVn.jpegMjItNzQ0NS5qcGVn.jpeg

Edited by mikeweil