Favorite Rolling Stones Album

ralphie_boy

What's your choice from these below:  

61 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Hey Brandon, lots of other stuff sounds silly to me that you don't seem to think is silly, res gustibus non disputandae sunt!

I'm sure that's case, Lon. Take Moncur, for example. (I'm sure you're thinking, "No seriously....take him." :P) Still....that's my story and I'm sticking to it. I never said anyone had to agree with me.

Don't own a single Stones album (CD, whatever), cuz I'm just not that much of a big fan (especially of the 60's material - which I heard too much of on AOR radio as a kid during junior high and high school, all through the 80's).

BUT, that said, there a plenty of individual songs that I like pretty well - and my favorite (oddly enough) is probably "Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo (Heartbreaker)" off Goats Head Soup, so that's the album I'm voting for in this poll.

NOTE: I do, however, own all of Keith Richards' solo albums from the late 80's and early 90's (two studio, and one 'live' one), and his first solo album "Talk is Cheap" is one hell of a disc. :wub: The others have their moments too, particularly the 'live' one.

Believe it or not, I probably haven't specifically heard any Stones (other than what I might happen to hear on the radio, maybe once or twice a year) in nearly 10 years. Just never did float my boat, what can I say. :mellow:

Edited by Rooster_Ties

Don't own a single Stones album (CD, whatever), cuz I'm just not that much of a big fan (especially of the 60's material - which I heard too much of on AOR radio as a kid during junior high and high school, all through the 80's).

BUT, that said, there a plenty of individual songs that I like pretty well - and my favorite (oddly enough) is probably "Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo (Heartbreaker)" off Goats Head Soup, so that's the album I'm voting for in this poll.

I definately prefer the 60's over the 70's Stones. Anything with Brain Jones on it (once they started writing their own songs) is golden in my book. I could care less about hearing them cover Willie Dixon but that Ed Sillivan performance of "The Last Time" is one of my favorite live TV rock preformances of all time. And that was pretty much the beginning of their originl material. From there, I especially like "Backstreet Girl" from the otherwise so-so Between the Buttons and the entirely of Aftermath. As for the classic ABKCO records...you won't find me badmouthing them but.......that said......I think I've heard them too many times to really get anything out of them anymore. I feel the same way about Bowie, Marvin Gaye, and the entire Beatles catalog. If you grew up in the 80's, like I did, that stuff was crammed down your throat as "the best music ever made". So in junior high I was mowing lawns to the White Album, What's Going On, and Hunky Dory. As such, I burned myself out on 'em at a young age; leading to my seeking out lesser-known yet comparable material.

I have to say I'm sort of just the opposite, I think their original pop stuff is trite, and I really like the bluesiest and raunchiest of their material, including their covers, better; I think their HEARTS were in that.

Growing up when I did you got burned out on even the obscure stuff. . . . I really just can't bear anything that got radio play any longer; I can play what I want to back in my head, and there's darned little of that, and there's so much in my head I wish I could get out!

I'm with you Rooster almost in one way: Exile is the only cd I have, and there are some lps inside a Motorola console stereo that I can't get to and that is just fine. . . . I'd be tempted to get Sticky Fingers and Let It Bleed one day, and that would suit me for the Stones.

"Talk is Cheap" I haven't heard for a long time, but remember it with fondness.

Well hell - were it a candidate, I'd vote for TATOO YOU just for the presence of Sonny Rollins!

I like the Stones, and have dug them since '64, but other than TY (HAD to buy it on release for Sonny) and a hologram-cover TSMR (which I only have because I FOUND it lying on a NYC sidewalk at 3 A.M. back in 1979!), I don't own any of their albums or singles, and see no real need to. I've heard that stuff continuously for almost 40 years now, played a fair portion of it for over 20, and I KNOW what it sounds like! ;)

It's the kind of thing that I never object to having somebody else play (either on the radio, in the car, at a party, or on the bandstand), if you know what I mean, and there's no shortage of opportunities for that, even now.

Hey, they kick ass. They really do. Good for them, let the good times roll, and I'll spend my money elsewhere. They're doing fine without me. :g

I don't know why I'm thinking about this so much......

For whatever reason, I go from liking their 60's material to basically skipping over thier heroin days and finally re-appreciating them in the late-70's/early-80's. Don't ask me why because I typically hate that kind of stuff. However, guilty pleasures though they are, I do like their quasi-disco hits like "Emotional Rescue" and "Miss You".

....and finally re-appreciating them in the late-70's/early-80's.  Don't ask me why because I typically hate that kind of stuff.  However, guilty pleasures though they are, I do like their quasi-disco hits like "Emotional Rescue" and "Miss You".

So what's a good "Stones in the 70's and 80's" compilation?? (I like those quasi-disco things too. :ph34r: )

Seriously, I really don't care much for the Stones prior to 1970 (it's not bad music, it just doesn't speak to me), so what's a really good one-disc "Greatest Hits" kind of package for the Stones in the 70's and 80's??? (Something cheap off half.com would be great!!)

And it's gotta have "Heartbreaker" on it, doncha know!!! :w

Edited by Rooster_Ties

....and finally re-appreciating them in the late-70's/early-80's.  Don't ask me why because I typically hate that kind of stuff.  However, guilty pleasures though they are, I do like their quasi-disco hits like "Emotional Rescue" and "Miss You".

So what's a good "Stones in the 70's and 80's" compilation?? (I like those quasi-disco things too. :ph34r: )

Seriously, I really don't care much for the Stones prior to 1970 (it's not bad music, it just doesn't speak to me), so what's a really good one-disc "Greatest Hits" kind of package for the Stones in the 70's and 80's??? (Something cheap off half.com would be great!!)

And it's gotta have "Heartbreaker" on it, doncha know!!! :w

Rooster, I don't think there is a straight compilation of that era. If you bought FORTY LICKS, you'd get the sixties stuff too.

There used to be a compilation called MADE IN THE SHADE, but I think it only consisted of early seventies Stones.

I voted for Sticky Fingers. Really like the Mick Taylor influence. There are some very good Stones albums after the early Seventies. Some Girls and Tattoo You come to mind. Some Girls may actually be my favorite album period.

Speaking of guilty pleasures "Send Her To Me" gets my vote. Love that song! As far as albums go Black and Blue has some great moments, but I kind of consider it a guilty pleasure when all is said and done.

I voted for Let It Bleed, although I would vote for Ya Ya's as the best OFFICIAL live album. Let It Bleed shows just how good Keith can be when he's sober, or at least not too wasted. He had to be 'cause he does virtually all the guitar here, including the two or three parts on the intro to "Gimme Shelter". Speaking of which did you know that Merry Clayton sang the first verse (chorus? confusing use of these terms would be a good subject for a thread), blew everyone's minds and then re-negotiated her fee before agreeing to sing the rest?! My fav bit is Charlie turning the beat around ever so smoothly in "Midnight Rambler" (reputedly recorded during the BB sessions). Generally I think BB thru Exiles is a hell of a run and after that things get spotty but at least intermittantly rewarding as long as Ian Stewart was alive (Dirty Work). My personal rule of thumb is Ian Stewart + harmonica = good album. Fans of Brian Jones era Stones as a R&B covers band should check out a boot called Bright Lights, Big City with lots of Bo Diddley, Jimmy Reed, etc. Has anyone heard if the Stones BBC material is going to be released? (Or the Mayall, or the Jeff Beck?) My fav tracks are often ones not much talked about "I Can't Be Satisfied", "Empty Heart", "2120 So. Michigan Ave.", "Miss Amanda Jones" (duelling guitars!), "Going Home" (vocal improv), etc. Also love Sonny's work on Tatoo You.

Edited by danasgoodstuff

Side two of Sticky Fingers is about as haunting a suite of music as you'll ever hear. I remember spending a lot of nights as a senior in high school commisserating (sp?) to this album.

Rooster, I don't know if it was ever issued on CD, but there was a comp called Sucking in the Seventies, which was aptly titled, according to some.

And also totally agree about "Emotional Rescue" being a true guilty pleasure. I LOVE that song!!!

• 2 years later...

Thought I'd revive this thread as I've been on a major Rolling Stones kick lately. Unlike probably everyone here, I only really got into the Stones last year after seeing them live. I've had "Hot Rocks" for years, but its only been the last year or so where I've been discovering their albums on an individual basis. What fun it's been!

I would have to say that my favorite album is "Exile on Main St." just for the sheer number of excellent songs on it. "Sticky Fingers" comes close. I didn't get into their earlier stuff as much as I did their late 60s - early 70s material...the blusey, drunken, hard driving Stones sound is definitely the one that connects with me. Aside from all the albums mentioned in this thread (love pretty much all of them), I thought I'd mention "Its Only Rock n Roll". This one seems to be unfairly maligned. Its not on the level of the albums that preceded it, including "Goats Head Soup", but its still a very nice album IMO. I LOVE the Richards/Taylor guitar combo! :wub:

Its worth a mention that their release last year "A Bigger Bang" is probably their best studio album since "Tattoo You". Don't expect anything on the level of their classic recordings, but its the most consistant and enjoyable latter-day Stones album that I've heard.

Funny this thread pops back up. I've listened to Black & Blue a couple of times in the last week. I referred to this as a guilty pleasure earlier in this thread, but I have to upgrade this to a good album. It was RW's tryout of sorts, and with Billie Preston on board it really works. At least for me. :tup