Under-appreciated Pianists: Hugh Lawson/Richard Wyands

Dan Gould

Most enjoyable and recommended piano trio recordings from Storyville, by folks not afforded too many opportunities to lead record dates: Hugh Lawson and Richard Wyands.

Two disc set is about $16 on Amazon right now, and there are several unissued tracks/alternates.  :tup

Screenshot 2021-04-19 131000.jpg

Edited by Dan Gould

I have oblique connections to both these guys. I studied keyboard harmony with Hugh back in the late '70s; Wyands I always admired and I first booked him into the West End Cafe around the same time. Nobody was calling him so I just looked him up in the book. Nice guy, dry sense of humor. Hugh was a unique and blunt personality, and boy could he play the shit out of the piano.

Edited by AllenLowe

2 hours ago, Dan Gould said:

Most enjoyable and recommended piano trio recordings from Storyville, by folks not afforded too many opportunities to lead record dates: Hugh Lawson and Richard Wyands.

Two disc set is about $16 on Amazon right now, and there are several unissued tracks/alternates.  :tup

Screenshot 2021-04-19 131000.jpg

Thanks for the heads up.

This Lawson session in 1977 ("Prime Time") was his long overdue debut as a leader. He only made three recordings as a leader. The other two are "Colour"  (Soul Note) from 1983 and "Casablanca" (Somethin' Else) from 1989.

Hugh Lawson is another in that long line of Detroit jazz piano players. I saw him live many times with Yusef Lateef back many decades ago when I was living in Detroit.

I recall seeing Richard Wyands with the Jimmy Cobb group at a Summer jazz party a number of years ago.

Both Hugh and Richard were damn fine jazz players.

5 hours ago, jazztrain said:

The Richard Wyands was originally issued on Jazzcraft.

It's been out before on CD, on Storyville.  I have this:

R-2219037-1325628411.jpeg.jpg

The 1998 issue has the same 9 tracks that are on the new issue.  There's no additional Wyands on the recent Wyands/Lawson set.

That's a good one ....