Free Duke Ellington Conference

medjuck

I cribbed this from my friend David Palmquist:

Time on your hands? If so, here’s a nice way for you to spend a few mid-day hours with no Covid travel risk!

We have about 10 unfilled spots available for this year’s Duke Ellington International Study Group conference beginning April 29. It’s on Zoom, in English, and it will be free. There will be no commercial element - you won’t be swamped with ads.

Instead of the usual three days of lectures and music, this year we’ll have four 3-hour sessions spread over a week. You can sign up for the whole kaboodle, or for your choice of days, subject to availability.

This is the first virtual Ellington conference, but the Swedish and English Duke Ellington Societies have been doing weekly virtual sessions for several months now. It works. The presenters are fascinating and knowledgeable.

Ulf Lundin, a “Swede in the south of France,” Bo Haufman, Göran Wallén and Anders Asplund, all of the Duke Ellington Society of Sweden, organized this year’s conference with advice from a program advisory group with Ian Bradley (London), Marilyn Lester (New York) and Joe Medjuk (Santa Barbara).

Details at https://ellington.se/ellington-2021-april-29-and-may-3-5-7/ To register, send an email to ellington2021@outlook.com saying you want to attend and on which days.  If you have students or musical friends you think might be interested, please pass this along to them.

The session times are given in Central Europe Time, but I’ve added the Pacific Daylight Savings Time equivalent. Double check in case I made a mistake; it should be 9 hours difference. Times are set to be convenient throughout Europe and North America, but our friends in Australia, South America, the middle East, Africa and Asia may need to lose some sleep.

Edited by medjuck