Imaginary Mosaics

Late

51 minutes ago, Larry Kart said:

Perhaps in line with Chuck's original suggestion of The Complete Bobo Stenson, there's The Complete Oregon.

Maybe just The Complete Oregon on Vanguard and Elektra.  You really want to pay $17/disc for those ECM's?

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Several months before his passing, I had suggested a Complete Blue Note Recordings of Chick Corea. As I imagined it, It would have  include his dates as a leader and sideman.  So:

• The Song of Singing
  • The Circle stuff
  • Complete "IS" Sessions
  • Now He Sings, Now He Sobs
    • Any other of the stuff from that era that can be associated with Blue Note or EMI.  Is Tones for Joan's Bones one of them?  I get confused.
  • With Blue Mitchell
    • The Thing To Do
    • Down With It
    • Boss Horn
  • With Wayne Shorter
    • Super Nova
    • Moto Grosso Feio
  • With Donald Byrd
    • The Creeper
  • With Elvin Jones
    • Merry-Go-Round ( three songs, I think)

The response I got was that while it would make an interesting set, Chick's recordings were readily available, So I guess they went with the Henderson?

I'm going to order the Henderson, so I'm not pissed that they decided to release a Henderson set but I think that his stuff is pretty accessible as well.  I do think they are missing an opportunity as I think the name appeal of Corea would sell a bunch of sets.  Now that he' passed, perhaps more so. Plus in Mosaic quality remastering and a top notch booklet. But what do I know?

A number of Corea releases, including a Blue Note session or two never on cd, are being released in a matter of weeks in Japan in new mastering. (It's not just Blue Note but a career spanning issue but I think all the Blue Note leader studio sessions are included). This may have factored in the decision Mosaic may have made to not do a Corea set at this time.

5 minutes ago, jazzbo said:

A number of Corea releases, including a Blue Note session or two never on cd, are being released in a matter of weeks in Japan in new mastering. (It's not just Blue Note but a career spanning issue but I think all the Blue Note leader studio sessions are included). This may have factored in the decision Mosaic may have made to not do a Corea set at this time.

Thanks Lon.  I did not know that.  I'll have to stay alert for this release.

3 hours ago, Late said:

Up for pre-order ...

carla.jpg

g.jpeg

(Or maybe Colin can make a better Select!)

Marvelous! So nice to see Clifford Thornton's GARDENS OF HARLEM finally receive a proper reissue.

Put me down for the Yamashita set, too.

2 hours ago, Ed Swinnich said:

2 hours ago, Ed Swinnich said:

Tones for Joan's Bones was on Vortex, an Atlantic label used for their more adventurous jazz releases in that era.   Inner Space was the expanded 2LP reissue in the 70's.  Atlantic butchered the CD release of Inner Space but Collectables of all people got it right some years later.

22 hours ago, Late said:

An extremely unpopular choice, however ...

chuck.jpg

Nice.  I would be extremely happy just to get a good transfer to digital of the Okeh recordings.  We have the Victor, Vocalion, and Brunswick recordings in fine sound but the old Columbia remastering of the Okeh recordings really sucks in comparison.  

15 hours ago, Ed Swinnich said:

I think all(?) — or at least many/most of the forthcoming Chick reissues are listed in the “coming soon” area on the Dusty Groove site, including product descriptions (at least for the 2-3 Blue Note reissues).

I was wondering about them myself, actually, in terms of what (if any of them) had any material that had never been issued on CD before in any way.

20 hours ago, Late said:

g.jpeg

(Or maybe Colin can make a better Select!)

The Owl recordings would make a nice little package I think ... Wende, Third Stream Recompositions, and the first CD appearances of Realization of a Dream (a personal favorite), Vertigo (another one of his very best) and Portfolo of Doktor Mabuse

RB2.jpg

Edited by colinmce

2 hours ago, colinmce said:

Wende, Third Stream Recompositions, and the first CD appearances of Realization of a Dream (a personal favorite), Vertigo (another one of his very best) and Portfolio of Doktor Mabuse

RB2.jpg

Ample proof for the resurrection of the Select Series (financial rationale notwithstanding).