Late

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

18 hours ago, jazzbo said:

I'm excited about the reissue of "Circulus" anf "Circling In" some of this on cd for the first time I believe.

Had those on vinyl since forever. Never felt too excited about them. “Drone” would be my pick, if I had to have one. That’s been out before on CD (on Song of Singing). OK so I might still be tempted by the CDs but. 

1 hour ago, David Ayers said:

Had those on vinyl since forever. Never felt too excited about them. “Drone” would be my pick, if I had to have one. That’s been out before on CD (on Song of Singing). OK so I might still be tempted by the CDs but. 

Cool. I have both the vinyl releases as well. I like them, and think new mastering will benefit them. I don't listen to my vinyl much as my digital playback sounds better to me and I just sort of forget about vinyl I have. . . so I'm looking forward to the cds.

7 hours ago, jazzbo said:

Cool. I have both the vinyl releases as well. I like them, and think new mastering will benefit them. I don't listen to my vinyl much as my digital playback sounds better to me and I just sort of forget about vinyl I have. . . so I'm looking forward to the cds.

Don’t get me wrong — I’m glad these will make it to CD in their original form. 

15 minutes ago, gmonahan said:

If I was as talented as some here, I might put up one titled "The Complete Recordings of Anyone Who Ever Played the C-Melody Saxophone."

grego

That would be an awful lot of Frank Trumbauer (not a complaint). There was a Bix Beiderbecke/Frank Trumbauer/Jack Teagarden set. That features his work for Columbia/Okeh. His recordings for Victor with the Benson Orchestra of Chicago and Paul Whiteman and others have never been collected in one collection. I don't know about other C-melody players. I would be interested in that.

36 minutes ago, miles65 said:

That would be an awful lot of Frank Trumbauer (not a complaint). There was a Bix Beiderbecke/Frank Trumbauer/Jack Teagarden set. That features his work for Columbia/Okeh. His recordings for Victor with the Benson Orchestra of Chicago and Paul Whiteman and others have never been collected in one collection. I don't know about other C-melody players. I would be interested in that.

Braxton has played it before (most notably on the 1985 UK tour recordings), and Allen Lowe uses it pretty often too!

1 hour ago, miles65 said:

Scott Robinson recorded an entire album on C-melody.

51X5Go5csyL.jpg

On 4/26/2021 at 9:49 PM, riddlemay said:

He never met an adverb he didn't like.

We both noticed that -- used to drive me crazy. Also, there was the way he recycled chunks of material from former notes on the same artist. In the old old days, he was pretty reliable Downbeat review, but when Martin Williams arrived, a whole new world opened up to me. Also, I it seemed like some, maybe many, of Nat's opinons were borrowed from Martin.

46 minutes ago, Larry Kart said:

We both noticed that -- used to drive me crazy. Also, there was the way he recycled chunks of material from former notes on the same artist. In the old old days, he was pretty reliable Downbeat review, but when Martin Williams arrived, a whole new world opened up to me. Also, I it seemed like some, maybe many, of Nat's opinons were borrowed from Martin.

I remember being in the audience for a panel discussion about Mingus that was broadcast on the radio.  This was in the early '90's.  I don't remember all of the panelists, but two were Roy Haynes and Hentoff.  Hentoff had a stack of index cards in his hands.  When it was his turn to answer a question, he read off one of the cards.  These were mostly anecdotes I had heard before (one was "Mingus said 'In my music, I'm trying to play the truth of what I am. The reason it's difficult is because I'm changing all the time.'").

I think in his later years, he wrote about music to pay the bills; his passions were in his First Amendment writings.

• 1 year later...