Airto & Flora - Live at Jazzfest Bremen 1988

HutchFan

Just stumbled across this upcoming archival release:

71RBjIDIvcL._SX500_.jpg

Airto Moreira & Flora Purim - Live at Jazzfest Bremen 1988

To be be released on May 7, 2021 in the U.S.

Notes from amazon:

Brazilian Latin jazz stars Airto Moreira and his wife, singer Flora Purim, pride themselves with a live album from 1988 and take listeners into their imaginative world of Brazilian/Latin jazz.

Moreira and Purim were both members of the Quartetto Novo in the 1960s, alongside Brazilian jazz legend Hermeto Pascoal; Flora Purim even had her own TV program in Brazil. In 1967, the Moreira/Purim couple moved from Rio to New York. In the USA she played with Stan Getz and Gil Evans, he took part in some sessions for Miles Davis' album ''Bitches Brew'' and also played live in the Davis band in 1970 and early 1971, to be heard on the album ''Black Beauty: Miles Davis at Fillmore West'', among others. Afterwards, Airto Moreira belonged to Weather Report and Chick Corea's Return To Forever. In addition to collaborations with Billy Cobham, John McLaughlin and Carlos Santana, among others, Airto Moreira launched a breathtaking solo career from 1970 on-wards, with his wife almost always at his side. She also successfully released solo albums, often accompanied by greats such as George Duke, Stanley Clarke, Ron Carter or McCoy Tyner, and, like her husband, provided the Latin jazz elements on Return To Forever. From 1983 onwards, the Moreira/Purim couple released records together, and both also worked with Grateful Dead drummer Mickey Hart.

On 26th October 1988, Flora Purim and Airto Moreira performed with their own ensemble at the Jazzfest in Bremen, Germany. Long-term companions such as bassist Bob Harrison, saxophonist and keyboardist Gary Meek and Brazilian multi-instrumentalist Marcos Silva shared the stage with the couple. A truly great ''accompanying crew''. Flora Purim: ''The Bremen Jazz Festival was among the top ten best festivals in Europe, and Airto and I were proud to be invited to be part of it.''

TRACK LIST:

Struck by Lightning
White and Black
Dona Olimpia
Colo de Rio
Improvisation No. 1 & No. 2
I'll Be Here
Garimpo
Las Olas
Fancy Talk
Brazilian People

Edited by HutchFan

11 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

The same label are releasing Gary Bartz NTU Troop 'Live In Bremen 1975'.  

I bet that would be interesting to hear too.

12 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

I wonder how legit they are?

Good question.  Hopefully, they're legit -- presumably from radio broadcast archives -- like the WDR Jazzline releases.

51 minutes ago, Rooster_Ties said:

I think so.  Looks like they haven't updated their site in quite a while, so no mention of the Airto/Flora or Bartz records on the site. 

That said, they appear to be legit.  They mention licensing and releasing recordings from the NDR archives.  I would assume that's where the Airto/Flora and Bartz recordings come from.  

Edited by HutchFan

On 4/23/2021 at 9:44 AM, mjazzg said:

Interesting. 

The same label are releasing Gary Bartz NTU Troop 'Live In Bremen 1975'.  I wonder how legit they are?

Definitely looks interesting. A shame it's not the Harlem Bush Music edition of the band, though.

10 hours ago, BFrank said:

Definitely looks interesting. A shame it's not the Harlem Bush Music edition of the band, though.

This was a really good group, though.  As long as sound quality is OK, can't imagine it being a disappointment.  Here's a sample from the album they recorded on Catalyst.

42 minutes ago, felser said:

This was a really good group, though.  As long as sound quality is OK, can't imagine it being a disappointment.  Here's a sample from the album they recorded on Catalyst.

Thanks for posting that felser, just ordered a copy off the back of it.  The album seems to have passed me by.

19 hours ago, mjazzg said:

Thanks for posting that felser, just ordered a copy off the back of it.  The album seems to have passed me by.

That Catalyst label had horrible distribution.  Blink, and they were gone if you even got to see them in the first place.  There's a CD of two Hadley Caliman albums from that label which is very worthwhile.   

Projecting & Celebration - The Catalyst Years (2 LP on 1 CD)

Edited by felser

• 1 month later...

Just finished listening to the Bartz Bremen set.  It's wonderful.  First off, sound quality is outstanding for a 70's live recording.  Musically, it's an extension of what he was doing on the "I've Known Rivers" Montreux set.  This is two years later, and Charles Mims and Curtis Robertson have replaced Hubert Eaves and Stafford James.  Robertson is outstanding, and very well miked/mixed.  It is an active joy to listen to hs bass work here.  Mims also does a good job.   This set is 50% longer than the Montreux set, equivalent to three LP's, and every cut works ("Rivers" had a couple of throways).  Even the Isley Brothers cover is lovely, excellent work by Bartz and Robertson especially.  "Rivers" was my previous go-to Bartz album, so this will be my new one, though I love much of his catalog.   This is different enough in both content and execution from the Montreux set that if you like that, you'll definitely also want this one.  And the success of this release makes me ready to go check out the Airto/Flora release.