??? Pre-Bop Blue Note CDs

JSngry

14 hours ago, Chuck Nessa said:

Missing are some stragglers by Josh White, ....

Interestingly, 6 more tracks from this session (sans Bechet) were issued on Musicraft.

This is the take of "Careless Love" without Bechet that was issued on Musicraft:

All those blues numbers would make a nice CD. But the one Jimmy Shirley sessions is probably lost, isn't it?

40 minutes ago, JSngry said:

per Discogs, there were 4 sides, two 78s, so that would be two of them.

With the numbering, is that a 12" 78?

No, it's a 10 inch. 1200 series seems to be a short lived vocal series with the 2 Bernhardts and the Monk/Kenny Hagood record. The titles I have are "Meet Me On the Corner" and "Cracklin Bread".

Edited by Chuck Nessa

On 4/28/2021 at 8:47 PM, danasgoodstuff said:

Yeah, it's amazing he could play so well when his fretting hand's on backwards! 

Once you pointed that out, I couldn't not be disturbed by that hand. ^_^ It was all that purple radiation.

What was the artist who drew that hand thinking?

I love this period of Blue Note history and value all that I have of it, which is nearly all, in various formats. I was hoping for a revisiting of this material with contemporary analog to digital conversion tech, but have given up hoping that will happen. It's certainly possible to be content with what we have. . . .

12 minutes ago, jazzbo said:

I love this period of Blue Note history and value all that I have of it . . .

Same! (I thought the Japanese market would've returned to this material, at least once, since 1999, but I guess not — at least so far.)

But maybe in 2039!

Until then, I'll let this pink-and-black disc spin ...

R-14601103-1578664760-4753.jpeg.jpg

I started collecting BN 78s in the '70s, mostly concentrating on the 12" records - I have 41 of the 52 issued and 3 of the 5 George Lewis Climax sides. I have only 32 of the 10" issues.

Cuscuna borrowed some for inclusion in this German box which contains the Jimmy Shirley "Stardust" mentioned earlier-

R-3653763-1435698949-6729.jpeg.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...