Freedom mini LP series (Paul Bley, Dewey Redman, Dollar Brand & Ted Curson)

Harbour

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whoa. I just checked Muzak's site. Scroll down to see an upcoming list of reissues (in Japanese). And with the help of Google Translate, it looks like we'll be seeing these titles this summer:

May 26, 2021

MZCB 1434 • Charles Tolliver: The Ringer

MZCB 1435 • John Tchicai: Cadentia Nova Danica

MZCB 1436 • Stanley Cowell: Brilliant Circles

June 23, 2021

MZCB 1437 • Dave Burrell: High

MZCB 1438 • Noah Howard: The Black Ark

MZCB 1439 • Art Ensemble of Chicago: The Spiritual

July 21, 2021

MZCB 1440 • Andrew Hill: Spiral

MZCB 1441 • Dudu Pukwana: Diamond Express

MZCB 1442 • Jym Young’s San Francisco Avantgarde: Puzzle Box

MZCB 1443/4 • Anthony Braxton: The Freedom Years (2 CD)

I'd never even heard of Jym Young:

43 minutes ago, Late said:

And don't forget the tote!

freedom2021052v2.jpg

5 minutes ago, Late said:

MZCB 1436 • Stanley Cowell: Brilliant Circles

Serious question: does any CD version of Cowell’s Brilliant Circles sound decent?? According to discogs, it’s only been on CD twice (is that right?)...

I have the 1995 German Black Lion CD, and despite the material being amazing, the mix and/or mastering is just horrid. A buddy burned me a copy of his LP (and it’s better) — but I’ve always wondered if the 1994 Japanese CD issue was any better.

If this is a substantial upgrade, I’d be very interested — but I’ll be waiting for some first feedback before I drop any dime on a new copy.

44 minutes ago, Rooster_Ties said:

Serious question: does any CD version of Cowell’s Brilliant Circles sound decent?? According to discogs, it’s only been on CD twice (is that right?)...

I have the 1995 German Black Lion CD, and despite the material being amazing, the mix and/or mastering is just horrid. A buddy burned me a copy of his LP (and it’s better) — but I’ve always wondered if the 1994 Japanese CD issue was any better.

If this is a substantial upgrade, I’d be very interested — but I’ll be waiting for some first feedback before I drop any dime on a new copy.

The LP does not "sound great". Not every sessions got recorded well or mixed well. Those, we just have to live with.

10 minutes ago, JSngry said:

The LP does not "sound great". Not every sessions got recorded well or mixed well. Those, we just have to live with.

Yeah, but of all the dates to have been recorded THAT sub-substantially.

Not expecting miracles, but something decidedly “noticeably better” might be worth it, maybe (depending on the price-point).

But will they reissue/issue the mysterious Rod Levitt Orchestra album 'Dynamic Sound Patterns' from the Marte Rolling series, that's the big question for me...

I don't know about the tote but the 'Blood' T-shirt does it for me

Edited by mjazzg

4 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

But will they reissue/issue the mysterious Rod Levitt Orchestra album 'Dynamic Sound Patterns' from the Marte Rolling series, that's the big question for me...

I don't know about the tote but the 'Blood' T-shirt does it for me

This came out on Riverside, there's an OJC CD.

Just now, colinmce said:

This came out on Riverside, there's an OJC CD.

Yes, I have the LP of the Riverside.  But I'd like the Marte Rolling cover just to complete the set.

Just checked Discogs and it appears two copies of that edition of the LP sold last year, none beforehand. I'd read previously that it had never been printed, ho hum.

That'll teach me not to update my wantlist

3 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

Yes, I have the LP of the Riverside.  But I'd like the Marte Rolling cover just to complete the set.

Just checked Discogs and it appears two copies of that edition of the LP sold last year, none beforehand. I'd read previously that it had never been printed, ho hum.

That'll teach me not to update my wantlist

Gotcha, makes sense! I have a couple friends who are on the same quest. 

1 hour ago, colinmce said:

Are these legit? I see the series that did Dogon, NTU, Under The Sun, Porto Novo, and Hamba Kahle advertised below them, and I'm nearly certain those are bootlegs. Is this is the same label?

Same label, MUZAK. They're legit as far as I know. Manufactured in Taiwan for the Japanese market. The mini-LP jackets aren't as thick as most Japanese mini-LP's. The remastering, in my experience, is good to excellent. I don't know, however, where the transfers come from (original tapes, etc.)

58 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

Marte Röling - 15 titles total?

R-14789592-1581633146-9901.jpeg.jpg

51 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

But I'd like the Marte Rolling cover just to complete the set.

Do you have the George Russell Fontana? There was also supposed to be an Albert Ayler record with a Röling cover.

13 minutes ago, Late said:

There was also supposed to be an Albert Ayler record with a Röling cover.

Found here.

5 hours ago, Late said:

Same label, MUZAK. They're legit as far as I know. Manufactured in Taiwan for the Japanese market. The mini-LP jackets aren't as thick as most Japanese mini-LP's. The remastering, in my experience, is good to excellent. I don't know, however, where the transfers come from (original tapes, etc.)

Muzak has been releasing Black Lion titles in Japan.  They seem legit.  I own some (off the top of my head: Monk's The London Collection, Johnny Griffin's Hush-A-Bye, and Lee Konitz's Storyville material), and sound quality has been amazing.  I'm not saying that Brilliant Circles will sound amazing, but it will probably sound as good as can be attained.

8 hours ago, Late said:

Whoa. I just checked Muzak's site. Scroll down to see an upcoming list of reissues (in Japanese). And with the help of Google Translate, it looks like we'll be seeing these titles this summer:

Lost in Translation!!

Paul Bray

Ted Carson

John Chikai

Dave Barrel

Julius Henfil

9 hours ago, Late said:

Excellent! I wonder why these aren't yet showing up on CD Japan. I'd have placed a pre-order. Patience ...

The whole Marte Röling series should see reissue! And don't forget the tote!

Same here - I checked CD Japan & HMV Japan last night & no mention on either site - from my experience CD Japan tends to lag with certain releases - they just suddenly appear on the day of release

I would really go for (akin to the Mosaic wish list) a box set (CD &/or vinyl) of the complete Roling covers - they are my no 1 fav jazz LP covers - i'm sure it will eventually happen

37 minutes ago, romualdo said:

I would really go for a box set of the complete Röling covers — they are my no. 1 fav jazz LP covers ...

I'd love to see that box too. This should be the cover! (Same typeface.)

10_958c0ce7-83ae-4053-8480-579bb4c351c2_

9 hours ago, Late said:

I'd never even heard of Jym Young.

And I just now realized that he plays on Dewey Redman's Look For The Black Star. D'oh! Good record, though I could do with a little less vocalizing.

12 hours ago, Late said:

Marte Röling - 15 titles total?

R-14789592-1581633146-9901.jpeg.jpg

Do you have the George Russell Fontana? There was also supposed to be an Albert Ayler record with a Röling cover.

Found here.

Yes,I have the Russell.

The only ones that I don't have that are shown on the back of the covers are the Levitt and Ayler.

8 hours ago, romualdo said:

Same here - I checked CD Japan & HMV Japan last night & no mention on either site - from my experience CD Japan tends to lag with certain releases - they just suddenly appear on the day of release

I would really go for (akin to the Mosaic wish list) a box set (CD &/or vinyl) of the complete Roling covers - they are my no 1 fav jazz LP covers - i'm sure it will eventually happen

they are up for sale on Amazon.Jp, i find that certain releases seem to be more available from specific sites in Japan weirdly, often either in HMV.jp or Amazon.jp but not both.

10 hours ago, jazzbo said:

I have those Muzak as well as Griffin, Webster, Gordon, Simms/Brookmeyer, Bud Powell, and Jackie and Roy. All sound superb!

Hope for the best then with the Cowell. If it sounds even a little better than the Black Lion I would definitely buy it. Anyone who’s willing to try it out? ^_^

I read bad things about the sound quality of the Dogon A.D. reissue but that might be an exception.