Freedom mini LP series (Paul Bley, Dewey Redman, Dollar Brand & Ted Curson)

Harbour

12 minutes ago, jcam_44 said:

Wow, I never knew you could pre-order from Da Bastids

I think it’s a new option they they’ve only been offering for a couple months or so.

I’m also wondering if any of what you get is possibly “drop-shipped” — since they don’t offer any way to combine shipping with regular (traditional) Dusty orders.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, Rooster_Ties said:

I think it’s a new option they they’ve only been offering for a couple months or so.

I’m also wondering if any of what you get is possibly “drop-shipped” — since they don’t offer any way to combine shipping with regular (traditional) Dusty orders.

I doubt the drop ship it. My guess if you have an order waiting they may contact you about adding it with a pending order. They're pretty good about stuff like that. 

49 minutes ago, Rooster_Ties said:

It seems you cannot combine it with other orders, that was my original plan.

On the plus side: the shipping is $3 for a box, once a week. So if you preorder several CDs, and they all arrive the same week, you play a flat $3. I paid less for shipping on this one CD, less than if I had made a regular order.

So it looks like this is how the preorders work - they didn't just go ahead and charge and ship, they wanted me to confirm that I wanted to proceed first and I had until Sunday 5/23 to pay. I confirmed and payment is being processed, so hopefully it will ship soon. Shipping is $3, which I think is a bit cheaper than shipping a single CD under a normal order.

If this is new, it is a great feature - good way to guarantee to get something they may only get one or two copies of.

There is a disclaimer about abuse of the system, which makes sense - someone could find it elsewhere cheaper and cancel the preorder. It could be that I will see this one cheaper elsewhere, but so far the only option is Japan. So it is definitely an approach I will consider for future Japanese releases, after a bit of shopping around.

Edit: The order has shipped.

Edited by bertrand

13 hours ago, Late said:

Still not on CD Japan's site. Maybe they're not going to carry these particular titles. Dusty Groove wins! ^_^:huh:

I'm holding on - CD Japan eventually released the first two series of the Freedom Paper Sleeve collection so I'm hoping/confident that they will stock the third

9 hours ago, romualdo said:

I'm holding on - CD Japan eventually released the first two series of the Freedom Paper Sleeve collection so I'm hoping/confident that they will stock the third.

I will keep the faith! (Would be nice to add to my existing order ... )

3 hours ago, Д.Д. said:

Yes, it definitely is a (good-sounding) needle-drop. 

So do you definitely hear some clicks and pops between 8:30 and 10:30 on 'Seven And One'? Just want to make sure it is not my CD.

I will live with it, but it is disappointing that the master is definitely lost for good.

33 minutes ago, bertrand said:

So do you definitely hear some clicks and pops between 8:30 and 10:30 on 'Seven And One'? Just want to make sure it is not my CD.

I will live with it, but it is disappointing that the master is definitely lost for good.

Yes, it is quite obvious

If CD Japan starts selling these I will add some to my next large order in July or so.

I thought Muzak's mini LP reissue from 2019 of Marion Brown's Porto Novo sounds better than the recent Hat ezz-thetics reissue (which I downloaded a FLAC rip of and cursorily compared).

22 hours ago, erwbol said:

I thought Muzak's mini LP reissue from 2019 of Marion Brown's Porto Novo sounds better than the recent Hat ezz-thetics reissue ...

Good to know. I have the Muzak edition, and contemplated the ezz-thetics edition (in order to have the ESP session it's paired with). The other Brown ezz-thetics disc (with tracks from Juba Lee and the ESP session with Alan Shorter) sounds really good to my ears.

1 hour ago, Late said:

Good to know. I have the Muzak edition, and contemplated the ezz-thetics edition (in order to have the ESP session it's paired with). The other Brown ezz-thetics disc (with tracks from Juba Lee and the ESP session with Alan Shorter) sounds really good to my ears.

I recently bought the 2009 domestic ESP CD of Why Not? A Japanese seller had a sealed copy left and I was able to add to an order. Probably the best sounding CD version.

Edited by erwbol