Freedom mini LP series (Paul Bley, Dewey Redman, Dollar Brand & Ted Curson)

Harbour

3 minutes ago, Д.Д. said:

Yes, same ones as the Black Lion edition, but in a different order. 

Don’t tell me they put the alternates right (immediately) after each one of the chosen “master” takes — ??

(Meaning do they stack up the multiple takes of the title track back to back?)

And how’s the sound quality again? I’d love to have a cd reissue of this that’s a fair bit better than the Black Lion edition I’ve had for close to 20 years — but I’d rather not pay $25 for one, if the SQ upgrade is barely noticeable.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, both bonus tracks are at the end (tracks 5 and 6). On Black Lion version they are in positions 3 and 6.

The sound quality is that of a typical new Japanese remaster - (too) crisp, bass boosted a bit too much for my liking, tad too loud. But good overall. This might have actually been a remix, the tenor saxophone is perfectly audible now, and the placement of the instruments is different. I have no understanding of the process, perhaps you can achieve such result through remastering alone now.  

Black Lion version sound quality is funny in that the original four tracks sound like crap (and I am not talking about the tenor saxophone under-miking) - muddy, bad instrument placing, etc. The bonus tracks sounded noticeably better overall (compare two versions of "Brilliant Circles", track 1 and track 6, on the Black Lion version) - except for inaudible tenor, that is. The new Muzak edition all sounds closer to the track 6 of the Black Lion edition.

I generally don't buy newer versions of reissues, but for me this was a tangible upgrade.                

Edited by Д.Д.

13 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

How are Amazon JP shipping rates to Europe? (I do not have an account, as I always used Hiroshi and then CD Japan) 

Only priority shipping (with DHL probably). ¥1490 for one cd, ¥1523 for two CDs, ¥1681 for three CDs.

Edited by erwbol

8 hours ago, erwbol said:

For me it all depends on CD Japan. If they belatedly announce the first two batches, I might go for a couple of titles.

I emailed CD Japan over a week ago about the eventual? stocking (by them) of The Freedom Paper sleeve Collection, Series 3 (Marte Roling covers), 4, 5 & onwards.

Remember they have carried the first two series so I'm feeling hopeful. Unfortunately I havn't received a reply - previously they have been responsive to my emails.

http://www.muzak.co.jp/news/2021/05/

1 minute ago, Harbour said:

received my first two batches yesterday, look great, havn't listened yet.

another option is to use this seller on ebay, he's very reliable, postage is cheap and will mark as a gift to avoid import fees

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/274801428002?hash=item3ffb710622:g:GcUAAOSwbdJgpeos

That seller always ships in cheap carton with a single layer of bubble plastic. Muzak mini-LPs are too fragile for this type of packaging. It'll be a matter of luck if they'll arrive undamaged. 

13 hours ago, erwbol said:

That seller always ships in cheap carton with a single layer of bubble plastic. Muzak mini-LPs are too fragile for this type of packaging. It'll be a matter of luck if they'll arrive undamaged. 

Mine have always come perfectly packaged by them, whether it be a jewel case or a mini lp.

52 minutes ago, Harbour said:

Mine have always come perfectly packaged by them, whether it be a jewel case or a mini lp.

The packaging is always the same and inadequate for fragile soft cardboard paper sleeves. My Dexter Gordon Muzak mini-LP arrived damage last year. It simply won't withstand any pressure applied to it during transportation & delivery. If you're lucky this won't happen to you, but I am not willing to take that chance again. They are fine for jewel cases, which are easily replaced, or even the hard cardboard mini-LPs, which the Muzaks are not.

• 2 weeks later...

Ordered myself a copy of the Brilliant Circles too. Can’t believe they fixed the sound problem. This is really a good recording but the sound quality always bugged me. So this was definitely one I had to buy (though 32 euros is expensive for a single cd)

• 2 weeks later...
On 4-6-2021 at 8:23 PM, erwbol said:

Now listening on my living room sound system. Don't know how, but they definitely fixed it. I'm ordering a copy.

Very good sound quality overall (on this track).

I can’t believe it but they really did! Very, very glad with this reissue. I’m no audiophile but this really was one of those records where the sound quality really spoiled the listening experience. 

• 1 month later...

I managed to score two copies of Brilliant Circles from Dusty — for Bertrand and myself — which arrived over the weekend, and I’m finally getting my first chance to really listen to more than a minute or two just this morning.

The sound quality is LIGHT YEARS better than the Black Lion CD issue I’ve had for 15 years, and quite a bit better than the burn of some LP version that board member Spontooneous made for me years ago.

I feel like I’m finally hearing this session almost for the first time, reason especially being that I could barely stomach listening to the Black Lion version much all these years.

Was it worth $25? Probably not, but no regrets at all now that the money’s spent and gone. And certainly absolutely NO regrets in terms of the upgrade in sound quality — which is like night and day. That Black Lion CD version had to have been the very worst-sounding studio recording I’ve ever heard.

Edited by Rooster_Ties

Addendum:  The main 4-track original album of Brilliant Circles sounds amazing, but the 2 bonus tracks sound a lot like the Black Lion version. Lot clearer sound on them, but Tyrone is still buried in the mix (just like the entire Black Lion CD, entire session), but the rest of the band sounds a better on those 2 tracks -- you just can't hear Tyrone any better than before (just on the bonus tracks).

Still, the main album does sound pretty fantastic, so the glass is 80% full I guess.