Freedom mini LP series (Paul Bley, Dewey Redman, Dollar Brand & Ted Curson)

Harbour

2 hours ago, Rooster_Ties said:

I managed to score two copies of Brilliant Circles from Dusty — for Bertrand and myself — which arrived over the weekend, and I’m finally getting my first chance to really listen to more than a minute or two just this morning.

The sound quality is LIGHT YEARS better than the Black Lion CD issue I’ve had for 15 years, and quite a bit better than the burn of some LP version that board member Spontooneous made for me years ago.

I feel like I’m finally hearing this session almost for the first time, reason especially being that I could barely stomach listening to the Black Lion version much all these years.

Was it worth $25? Probably not, but no regrets at all now that the money’s spent and gone. And certainly absolutely NO regrets in terms of the upgrade in sound quality — which is like night and day. That Black Lion CD version had to have been the very worst-sounding studio recording I’ve ever heard.

1 hour ago, Rooster_Ties said:

Addendum:  The main 4-track original album of Brilliant Circles sounds amazing, but the 2 bonus tracks sound a lot like the Black Lion version. Lot clearer sound on them, but Tyrone is still buried in the mix (just like the entire Black Lion CD, entire session), but the rest of the band sounds a better on those 2 tracks -- you just can't hear Tyrone any better than before (just on the bonus tracks).

Still, the main album does sound pretty fantastic, so the glass is 80% full I guess.

Many thanks for the helpful comments. I have the Black Lion CD and agree about the woeful SQ.  Considered purchasing this reissue, but held off because I didn't see any reviews mentioning improved sonics. Too late now (sold out, my fault for failing to carpe diem), but I'll buy a reasonably priced used copy if one surfaces. Still showing "in stock" at DG, ordered! Maybe the most I've ever paid for a single CD, but I just finished my tax return and have a surprising refund coming, call it a YOLO buy.

Edited by T.D.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

23 minutes ago, T.D. said:

Still showing "in stock" at DG, ordered! Maybe the most I've ever paid for a single CD, but I just finished my tax return and have a surprising refund coming, call it a YOLO buy.

Glad you may have gotten one! — pending order confirmation, of course. DG seems to have this series coming in and out of stock periodically, but hard to say for how much longer — so I was gonna suggest creating a product alert so you’d get an email the next time they got it in (though that’s no guarantee, if you can’t move fast enough sometimes).

Also very glad you saw my feedback about the bonus tracks, so you made your purchase decision fully informed.

7 minutes ago, Rooster_Ties said:

Glad you may have gotten one! — pending order confirmation, of course. DG seems to have this series coming in and out of stock periodically, but hard to say for how much longer — so I was gonna suggest creating a product alert so you’d get an email the next time they got it in (though that’s no guarantee, if you can’t move fast enough sometimes).

Also very glad you saw my feedback about the bonus tracks, so you made your purchase decision fully informed.

Fully informed is a good way to go!

I had a product alert for the disc once before, but it sold out before I made up my mind. I used to maintain a lot of product alerts at DG, but switched to using a watch list because I was getting too many tempting e-mails about pricey Japanese reissues. :D

On 8/10/2021 at 10:03 AM, Rooster_Ties said:

Addendum:  The main 4-track original album of Brilliant Circles sounds amazing, but the 2 bonus tracks sound a lot like the Black Lion version. Lot clearer sound on them, but Tyrone is still buried in the mix (just like the entire Black Lion CD, entire session), but the rest of the band sounds a better on those 2 tracks -- you just can't hear Tyrone any better than before (just on the bonus tracks).

Still, the main album does sound pretty fantastic, so the glass is 80% full I guess.

Thanks again. DG came through and the disc arrived today. Your comments on sonics were absolutely spot on, and I'm happy with the purchase.