Mingus at Carnegie Hall, Deluxe Edition

Guy Berger

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, JSngry said:

No lp, thx, will look at Amazon, thanks.

Actually a bit hesitant tho...not sure if this was at all recorded well and that the band was yet to gel. But we'll see!

Amazon has it:

https://www.amazon.com/Mingus-At-Carnegie-Hall-Deluxe/dp/B093B2L4J9/ref=sr_1_2?crid=14988OVGGMZ0Q&dchild=1&keywords=mingus+carnegie+hall&qid=1619657200&s=music&sprefix=mingus+carnegie+%2Caps%2C160&sr=1-2

Yeah, pre-ordered already, just not with absolute certainty...the jam lp still seems like an odd choice for a release, and if it was the best they got that might...

Also, Carnegie Hall jazz records from this time did not seem to be too carefully recorded. Too much room, not enough music.

12 hours ago, JSngry said:

Did Rhino send an email about this? I looked at the last...hundred or so and it's all tired boomerrock crap, not a mention of Mingus.

Or is this a different Rhino?

It would be the same Rhino - they design the WEA Catalog releases at this point, but I also didn't see a word about it.

high school flashback...had a buddy who was into horn bands (as were many of us) who was BIG on Chicago, and he bought that OG LP box. It was good enough, but...that was never a band i really warmed to even at their best. Selected cuts were all I could live with.

16 CDs would be like a chicken spaghetti supper where they keep filling your plate up and making you eat it until curfew, and then give you that much more again to take home and by god, you better take it and you better eat it.

17 minutes ago, JSngry said:

high school flashback...had a buddy who was into horn bands (as were many of us) who was BIG on Chicago, and he bought that OG LP box. It was good enough, but...that was never a band i really warmed to even at their best. Selected cuts were all I could live with.

16 CDs would be like a chicken spaghetti supper where they keep filling your plate up and making you eat it until curfew, and then give you that much more again to take home and by god, you better take it and you better eat it.

Funny, I have to say this would be my first "box set" I ever owned though I have to say I didn't buy it (well, request it as a gift) until 1976 or later, because the enormous poster that came with it lived on the wall of my loft/bedroom but only after we had moved to CT.

I don't think I spent much time with the box myself, I was happy though with the Greatest Hits package I got earlier in the 70s, and I've often suspected that my love of jazz was indicated years ago by my enjoyment of Chicago, though only really in the horn sound, not in their earliest "experimental" days as shown on that box set.

12 minutes ago, gvopedz said:

I would be happy to buy a 16-CD set of 1970-1975 Santana

+1 (and you can add in 1969, their debut album and Woodstock breakthrough), but Sony is not that enlightened.  That being said, don't miss the Japanese deluxe edition of Lotus with the extra cuts and improved audio.

8 hours ago, mjzee said:

Interesting that the Mingus is coming out.  One would have thought that the original tapes would have been destroyed in the 1978 fire.

Not everything was destroyed in the fire, but it did not even occur to me that could have been why the rest of the concert never came out. It seems that was not the reason in the end, or were these tracks sitting in the same closet in which the Hasaan acetate was hiding :)

Edited by bertrand