Mingus at Carnegie Hall, Deluxe Edition

Guy Berger

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 5/19/2021 at 7:56 AM, felser said:

Yes, those America albums.Eddie Preston, who I am otherwise unfamiliar with.  As for 'Moves', here's what to remember.  Hearing it now, it's easy to say that it's just a transitional dry run for the 'Changes' albums, which is true.  But I heard and digested it before the 'Changes' albums were recorded, and it was fairly stunning at that time, with the introduction of Adams and Pullen into the group.   They were very fresh, striking new voices at that point.

Mr. Felser, this is my story as well.

Mingus appeared in Toronto twice during this period, first with two saxophones, George Adams and Hamiett Bluiett, and no trumpet, then with Jack Walrath and George Adams  Don Pullen was in both groups. Mingus was a regular visitor to the clubs in Toronto but never with Eddie Preston.

On 19/05/2021 at 7:05 AM, Gheorghe said:

I liked "Newcomer" and heard it live in 1980 with George Adams-Don Pullen-Cameron Brown-Dannie Richmond. 

Blast from the past. I remember them playing it too, at Ronnie Scott’s and I think it was 1980 as well. They played quite a bit of the album ‘Don’t Lose Control’.

This is the first time I am hearing this Carnegie Hall material - very positive first impressions.

Edited by sidewinder

41 minutes ago, Don Brown said:

Mingus appeared in Toronto twice during this period, first with two saxophones, George Adams and Hamiett Bluiett, and no trumpet, then with Jack Walrath and George Adams  Don Pullen was in both groups. Mingus was a regular visitor to the clubs in Toronto but never with Eddie Preston.

Yes. Once at the El Mocambo and once somewhere  east of  Yonge which for some reason I remember (probably incorrectly)  as being below street level.  

Jon Faddis is pretty fucking irritating here.

Hammier Bluiett, god, loved that guy, but in this band... it's the "out" part of Eric Dolphy minus the "in" part. And he's up way too high in the mix. None of it his fault. But listen to John Handy's alto solo to hear somebody navigate the energy architecture as well as the harmonic one. Just sayin'...

Adams is still not fully arrived, but is getting there in a hurry!

The trio of Pullen (beautiful, as always), Mingus, and Dannie is superb. And the front line energies are much better suited to "Big Alice" than they are to Mingus" own music, imo  That means something? Or not?

The jam sessions, we all know those.

It is weird listening to a bunch of dead people who you got pretty well musically while they were alive. Hearing something like this...Roland Kirk schools damn near everybody on whatever it is they probably thought they were doing. The additional material amplifies that more than I would have imagined possible!

After a listen to the full set, in the Mingus ouvre, this remains to me The Time Rahsaan Took The Kids To School (Expanded Edition). And that's fine with me?

But is this the only example on record of Mingus blowing that whistle that he started wearing? Or am I totally misremembering about that?

They all sound good, and Handy's tenor solo is pretty damn interesting!

Bluiett makes for a very strong head player, too. I would have loved to have heard him and Adams live on a club playing those heads. It's the soloing hear that has me thinking that he's on a different page than Mingus. But those heads...yeah, that works! 

How long was he with Mingus, ultimately?

I just wish all major Mingus concerts in the 1970s had been recorded.

Here's a John Wilson review of the 1973 Carnegie Hall concert with Dizzy. https://www.nytimes.com/1973/01/21/archives/jazz-mingus-gillespie.html?searchResultPosition=13

Here is a review of a 1977 concert at Avery Fisher Hall with a 15 piece band, including Jimmy Knepper. https://www.nytimes.com/1977/07/01/archives/new-jersey-weekly-newminted-mingus.html?searchResultPosition=16

Here is a review of a 1976 concert at Carnegie Halll with flamenco dancers and Jimmy Knepper, playing music from Tijuana Moods. https://www.nytimes.com/1976/06/28/archives/mingus-plays-flamenco-with-azucena-dancers.html?searchResultPosition=1

I don't find substantiation on the internet  but i could swear I once read about a Carnegie Hall Mingus concert with Sonny Rollins as guest.

There was a picture of the '76 date in the DownBeat review, which was quite enthusiastic, iirc.

I do seem to remember a photo of Rollins and Mingus from the Carter White House lawn gig. That was the first indication I had that Mingus was really ill, and it was...quite upsetting to me, to put it mildly...

Skimming through the Priestley book; I find reference to another 1974 Mingus Carnegie Hall concert with Milt Jackson as guest!

As for Rollins, there is reference to discussions of a 1961 Mingus Roach Rollins supergroup that never happened. Later in the 1960s George Wein booked a tour for this group but Mingus backed out. So I must be mistaken. 

38 minutes ago, JSngry said:

I think there was some friction between the two, for reasons unknown, although maybe going back decades and having to do with competition for a woman.

The classics never go out of style.

The Priestley book references a joint booking of their respective groups for a month at the Five Spot (Time Machine where are you?). John Handy is quoted as saying Rollins quit after a week due to Mingus being rude to him.

Just listened to this on Apple Music and while I am not near as familiar as many here with Mingus' music, this is an extremely enjoyable listen. Sound quality is excellent. I'll definitely be picking it up digitally and physically at some point. Pullen is fantastic. Kirk is amazing.

Most of all, the music just seems so vibrant and alive. Hard to believe it was recorded almost 40 years ago.