Mingus at Carnegie Hall, Deluxe Edition

Guy Berger

11 hours ago, kh1958 said:

I think in the last three minutes or so of C Jam Blues, where Kirk is playing a multi-horn drone and Adams is soloing wildly.

Yes, it´s written in the liner notes of the album. 
I remember as a youngster, I must have been 15 years when that brown album with Mingus with the Sombrero Hat was in the record shops, I was quite astonished that they play so much straight ahead , because my first impression of Mingus was the stuff with Dolphy with all those tempo changes and all....

But I can´t really get with that last three minutes of C Jam Blues, that´s somehow "pseudo free jazz", with Mingus and Richmond desperatly attempting to find an end, but those two Adams and Kirk don´t pay no heed to them..... (I dig "free jazz" or at least quite some of it, but this 3 minutes outing does not really make sense to me, I usually stop the LP at that point......

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You know who would have, in a perfect world, worked SO much better than Jon Faddis on the Atlantic Carnegie Hall - Michael Ray.

You still get your Dizzy-isms, you still get your high notes, but you might also get some real music out of it instead of that...sheenyshiny glibbergloss of skweekle-skakkle that he brought to that night.

Too bad those words couldn't have collided, New York Hi-Gloss and Philly Underground commune. But there was a Mingus-Gilmore connection, so...but no...

I emceed an outdoor Sun Ra concert where Michael Ray came forward to play trumpet and do the vocal chant to "The Stargazer." He suddenly put down his trumpet and began doing cartwheels on the stage. Unfortunately, it had been raining earlier in the day and he landed awkwardly after the second or third cartwheel, tearing loose his kneecap and screaming in pain. The band kept playing except for a pair of members who put down their horns to carry him backstage. I heard that he played the very next night, though his leg was immobilized.

• 8 months later...
On 4/29/2021 at 1:53 PM, JSngry said:

high school flashback...had a buddy who was into horn bands (as were many of us) who was BIG on Chicago, and he bought that OG LP box. It was good enough, but...that was never a band i really warmed to even at their best. Selected cuts were all I could live with.

16 CDs would be like a chicken spaghetti supper where they keep filling your plate up and making you eat it until curfew, and then give you that much more again to take home and by god, you better take it and you better eat it.

TERRY KATH

(1) Chicago - 25 or 6 to 4 - 7/21/1970 - Tanglewood (Official) - YouTube

Edited by MomsMobley