History of Discovery & Trend labels + combined Trend/Discovery reissues

jazzcorner

Are there members familiar with this topic or part of it.

I am doing a research because I have several reissues. There is not much Info found on the net whether Trend/Discovery is a new

label created by Albert Marx. The rimtext of these reissues has this combined  print but the covers  have either Discovery or Trend as label.

Thanks

Edited by jazzcorner
typos

It is kind of confusing, there has been a good bit of discussion of them on Discogs. I was briefly serviced by the labels until they ceased operations some time after Albert Marx's death. Bill Mays called Albert Marx the lost Marx Brother, "Cheapo..."

Edited by Ken Dryden

I worked for a distributor in the 80s where I had to sell Discovery and Trend albums. What I remember about those titles is that Discovery was started sometime in the late 40s and Marx bought and added Trend recordings in the early 80s. I remember there was some “excitement” (if you want to call it that) about acquiring Trend recordings at that time. I mostly enjoyed the albums that went outside jazz into other culture’s musics. I think there was an L. Subramaniam LP and a fellow who played oud, and so on. I think all of that was eventually acquired by Warners.

9 hours ago, chewy-chew-chew-bean-benitez said:

trend was around in the old days too

Yes, that’s why I said that he “bought and added Trend recordings in the early 80s.”

3 hours ago, bresna said:

I have been looking for a Discovery CD of Shorty Rogers "Return to Rio" for decades for a board member. He says that he had it in his hand but no CD version has ever shown up on eBay or discogs.

R-2686330-1296638199.jpeg.jpg

Same album, different cover. Four copies on CD available:

https://www.discogs.com/Shorty-Rogers-And-His-Giants-Bossa-Nova-/release/9518730

Edited by rostasi

4 hours ago, rostasi said:

Same album, different cover. Four copies on CD available:

https://www.discogs.com/Shorty-Rogers-And-His-Giants-Bossa-Nova-/release/9518730

I assume Mike has that but he has always told me that if I ever find that Discovery CD, pick it up. If he didn't have it in his hand once (he didn't buy it unfortunately), I would not believe that it was even produced due to the lack of any evidence of its existence.

Albert Marx licensed his productions to other labels, but I guess copyright reverted back to him after a period of time.  There was a Clare Fischer on Atlantic and a Marty Paich on WB, among others, that were reissued on Discovery in the '80's.

Edited by mjzee

• 2 months later...
On 30.4.2021 at 1:05 PM, bresna said:

I have been looking for a Discovery CD of Shorty Rogers "Return to Rio" for decades for a board member. He says that he had it in his hand but no CD version has ever shown up on eBay or discogs.

There was a Japanese CD reissue of the original Reprise release: https://www.discogs.com/sell/release/9518730?ev=rb

R-9518730-1485882034-2739.jpeg.jpg

On 30.4.2021 at 1:05 PM, bresna said:

Thanks for that cover. There is  one with the Cat# DS 843 in my  1983 catalog. I have the Reprise edition  shown above

Here is a listing from Albert Marx' 1983 catalog. But there must be another and later edition

A good part of those are reissues from other labels

31639256di.jpg

On 5.7.2021 at 0:06 AM, Chuck Nessa said:

I distributed Marx' labels in the mid '80s and still have a couple catalogs from that time if you have questions.

Thats is good Information. Can you supply some scans pref. the most recent one. I am very interested.

Thanks

Edited by jazzcorner
more text

4 hours ago, Chuck Nessa said:

This is the most recent listing I have. I also have a 24 page cd catalog from the same time but you will need to give me an email address for that.

:tup:tup:tup

Very helpful for my research. Much appreciated.

W

Edited by jazzcorner

On 4/30/2021 at 7:47 AM, JSngry said:

I have this 45.  It was my Dad's.  He had two or three of their singles on Trend.

Who would have guessed the arranger would go on to score The Mechanic, one of the greatest film scores of the 1970s?

The Discovery LP reissues I have cut the grooves closer together, with lots of deadwax before the label.  I always wondered if this was a deliberate attempt to reduce inner groove distortion. 

Edited by Teasing the Korean

22 hours ago, adh1907 said:

Some interesting background on Discovery records from the very learned James Harrod.

http://jazzwestcoastresearch.blogspot.com/2016/04/art-pepper-discovery-sessions-james-a.html?m=1

I suspect he may also have covered the Discovery/ Trend crossover  but I can’t locate that at present.

Anthony 

London

Thanks Anthony for that link. BTW I am too on Jim Harrods list for quite a while.

There was an hot discussion at Discogs about the topic "has Albert Marx created a new [combined] label TREND/DISCOVERY" or not? The question  is still not solved.

Its documented IMHO on his reissues only on the center labels. and on his catalog. But the "knowallandeverything" major egos ruled it down without any research. I think the opposite is the truth.

My request to Jim brought no results.

Edited by jazzcorner