Native American Jazz

Pim

• 1 month later...
4 hours ago, Rabshakeh said:

ALso, perhaps Don Cherry’s flute playing? The track Amajelo from Mu 1 in particular has, to my ears, some very clear indigenous North American influences. It brings to my mind Belo Kozad’s famous Kiowa flute recording.

That recording sounds very interesting, is it available? Quick search didn't really help

16 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

That recording sounds very interesting, is it available? Quick search didn't really help

my quick search turned up this compilation and this link. Guess this is the original issue, the entire album is here

and the music in question are somewhere in the middle, starting around 18:00 ... interesting stuff!

Edited by Niko

1 hour ago, Niko said:

my quick search turned up this compilation and this link. Guess this is the original issue, the entire album is here

and the music in question are somewhere in the middle, starting around 18:00 ... interesting stuff!

Yeah. At 20:54.

The recording also has an interesting introduction that explains how the music was obtained by the musician's "grandfather", presumably whilst explaining to a group of schoolchildren or students.  That's been edited out for this comp, but is interesting in itself too.

Edited by Rabshakeh