Native American Jazz

Pim

Listening to Jim Pepper it strikes me that this is a combination I have almost never heard though the combination doesn't sound bad or weird at all. Is there more jazz to be found that was influenced by Native American music or that even blends with it. First that comes to my mind is Don Cherry. More, anyone?

1 hour ago, HutchFan said:

Pim,

You might want to look into Don Pullen's final recording, Sacred Common Ground (Blue Note, 1994).  The music features a seven-voice Native American group, the Chief Cliff Singers.

71rtHjfQsQL._SS500_.jpg

That sounds like the stuff I am looking for. Thanks!

43 minutes ago, Niko said:

R-2820392-1302518330.jpeg.jpg

it's an interesting document of its time... don't know how much genuine native American influence went in there beyond the song titles and the costume...

Love Horace, but I find the regalia a little offensive for him to wear. Don't believe that's a Cape Verdean Island "costume".

Edited by jlhoots

1 hour ago, jlhoots said:

Love Horace, but I find the regalia a little offensive for him to wear. Don't believe that's a Cape Verdean Island "costume".

yes, I agree, nowadays a cover like this wouldn't be acceptable anymore and for good reasons

Thanks for all the replies. Interesting stuff to dig out. Bit what I expected: crossovers with this kind of music are way less common in jazz than crossovers with Eastern-Asian, Middle-Eastern, Sub-Saharan or latin music. Funny for it's so much closer geographically.

1 hour ago, clifford_thornton said:

great record.

Afro Algonquin, the group co-led by Mixashawn Lee Rozie (reeds, guitar) and his brother Rick Rozie (bass), is also fantastic.

Thanks for thee tip on Afro Algonquin, just found a M copy to buy

2 hours ago, JSngry said:

No doubt a great record, but...that appropriation thing? There's a line somewhere?

Having spoken with her at length, she comes by her dedication honestly -- spent much time in First Nations communities of the Southwest working with native people, especially on the political/activism front. Too bad her music has been so little documented, but she is an excellent composer. 

So do proceeds from the record go back into the community or to an activist group? Did the band work for free? Where does she go home to?

Snarky questions, but the question of "appropriation" is, it seems, separate from one of sincerity.

Those are two good questions to be asking, but hell is full of sincere people, ya' know? And there's too damn many people who have been served by "activism"  who are still more or less where they've always been.

Let's put on a fundraiser! To buy guns for the oppressed! That's how it works in America, right? Or anywhere, really? Turn that Andrew Jackson shit back on itself, activismate THAT!!!

Speaking strictly in the figurative, of course.

Of course.

• 2 weeks later...