BFT 206 is LIVE

Dmitry

TRACK ONE - This guy's been getting a lot of BFT play lately, just not this record, the RCA one with Lee. I played this one (with a different name) with an Arabic-Jazz group I played with back in the day. It's a "folk song" apparently, but, you know, folk songs don't come with royalties. Businessplonkiness aside, you gotta love this guy. And Lee too!

TRACK TWO - I almost like this one. Tenor player swung the balance into negative.

TRACK THREE - Please don't do that.

TRACK FOUR - A bit "period", but it seems totally authentic. Oh, that trumpet, that's definitely authentic, not at all period, that kind of playing makes its own period!

TRACK FIVE - Oh, this is a good one. Alto has the LA "tightness" in both tone and time (and I mean "tightness is terms of desnsti7y, not relaxation", not unlike Art Pepper), so...harpischord has me thinking Jack Wilson, so the sleuthing is not really hard, Earl Andrezza. That's a good record, whatever happened to him, he made this record, which is more than most people can say. That shit be poppin'!

TRACK SIX - We all love Johnny Griffin! And we all wish that Orrin would have had Nat tune up more on those Galaxy records! At least Ron Carter did!

TRACK SEVEN - Nope. Not even.

TRACK EIGHT - Quincy, and it's clearly his writing too. Matty Fahn, the lady said her name was, and she spoke the truth. Compare this to the updated version on Gula Matari, both are excellent!

TRACK NINE - I ten to not like any version of "Emily" and this one is no exception. Excellent player and playing, just that song always sounds like "Emily", and that's a deal-breaker for me.

Some good stuff on here! Allow me to join with Willie Rosario in saying:

Track 8 "Walkin'" from an all-time favourite, Quincy Jones' This Is How I Feel about Jazz.

Band packed with stars - I'll leave it to others to identify the soloists.

Track 9  "Emily", a Bill Evans favourite, but it's certainly not Bill Evans.

Edited by BillF

BFT 206

1 – No idea, but I really like it!  The styles seem more pasted together than merged, but works for me.   Trumpeter has great tone.

2 – Very nice.  I’ve always been a fan of vibes instead of piano in a rhythm section, it gives a whole different feel, and seems especially effective on a slower cut like this.  And the bass player is really doing it for me on this.

3 – Pretty, but fades into the background for me.

4 – This sounds like something that should be sitting on my Blue Note shelves somewhere.  Sure sounds like Grant Green to me.  Love it.

5- “All The Things You Are”.  Very strong version.  Alto has some J-Mac tendencies, though I don’t think it’s him.  And how often do you get a bebop harpsichord solo?  Though that really stalls out the track for me.

6 – Sounds like an older trumpeter, and I don’t do well with that sort of muted tone.  I like trumpeters to be brassy like on cut #1.

7 – Not for me.   Send that string ensemble (surely synthesized) back home.  Terje Rypdal on ECM?

8 – Too relaxed for me, needs some fire.   Actively dislike the trombones interlude.

9 – Beautifully played.  Superior example of this genre.

Really strong first half to the BFT, very much look forward to the reveals on 1,2,4, thanks!

12 hours ago, JSngry said:

TRACK ONE - This guy's been getting a lot of BFT play lately, just not this record, the RCA one with Lee. I played this one (with a different name) with an Arabic-Jazz group I played with back in the day. It's a "folk song" apparently, but, you know, folk songs don't come with royalties. Businessplonkiness aside, you gotta love this guy. And Lee too!

I think this is actually the version which is cut B1 from this album with Tommy Turrentine?  Same cut done on the RCA with Lee.

Edited by felser

1 - I'm not well versed enough to pinpoint the origin of this style, but I'd say it sounds like something from around the Mediterranean. The percussion stands out, as does whatever stringed instrument is being played. Love the groove too. Seems to be on the BFTs I've done so far that Abdul-Malik is typically involved in recordings like this and maybe he's here too but I don't know. I just dig the song. 

2 - The composition sounds Burton-esque. I'm going to guess Gary Burton on the vibes. Dig the sax playing as well. Nice tune. 

3 - 2 guitars and a bass is what I'm hearing. No guesses. Beautiful track. 

4 - Intro is badass. Bass sounds great. Sounds like a Blue Note date or at least a composition from one of those stable artists...I don't think it's Green on guitar. Maybe Burrell? 

5 - This sax player is great. And is that a harpsichord? Wow...I've only heard Tyner jam on that instrument like this before but it doesn't sound like him. Wild. 

6 - I was going to say Miles for the trumpet and maybe Evans on piano but the bass is sounding like something from the 70s, so that's out the window. Bass player is jamming though. Sax comes in for the first time about half way through which is interesting. No ideas on who this is. The last half of the song picks up and is really nice. 

7 - At first I wanted to say Rypdal but I'm not so sure. The opening synths are great on headphones. Hell, they're great throughout the track. Really like this song. 

8 - Ellington's band? It's a track I've heard before but can't remember the name. Great stuff. Excellent trombone playing for sure. My favorite track of this BFT. 

9 -  Evans? Tune is so familiar but I can't name it. 

6 hours ago, BillF said:

Track 8 "Walkin'" from an all-time favourite, Quincy Jones' This Is How I Feel about Jazz.

Band packed with stars - I'll leave it to others to identify the soloists.

Well from the discogs listing that alto soloist is Phil Woods, and I thought it was a spectacular solo. 

1 hour ago, felser said:

Actively dislike the trombones interlude.

Absolutely 180 degrees different for me lol. :lol:

6 hours ago, BillF said:

Track 4  The unmistakable genius of trumpeter Dupree Bolton! It's "Amyable" from Curtis Amy's Katanga.

So Ray Crawford on guitar. Nice playing. 

1   Rabih Abou-Kalil?  Love the mood the oud sets.
2.  Buster Williams?  or maybe something later on the Criss-Cross label.  Can't rule out Bobby Hutcherson.  The more I listen, the more I think it's Hutcherson and Harold Land
3.  The tune is You Needed Me, a country pop confection associated with Olivia Newton-John.  Tastefully done.  I'll guess Earl Klugh
4.  So What?  ... but definitely not Miles.  No the intro is very similar but the melody is different.  Trumpet is crisp and clearly articulated, Maybe Freddie Hubbard or even Wynton Marsalis.
5.  All The Things You Are.  Maybe Art Pepper.  But there's that organ with it's harpichord lever set that I don't associate with any of his keyboardists.  Hamp Hawes did play electric piano with him on Living Legend, but not this.  Sounds like the piano player doubling, not two different players.
6.  We play Art Farmer a lot here.  I think it's Art.
7.  I wouldn't be surprised if this is on ECM, but they don't usually use this much strings.  I like the tone of the guitarist, like a more conventional Terje Rypdal at times.  Could it be Pat Metheny?
8.  Like C Jam Blues, but not quite.  Maybe a Benny Golson composition.  I'll go with the Jazztet.
9.  Is this Emily by Bill Evans?

Above is before seeing any of the comments.  If JSngry doesn't like the tenor on 2 it must not be Harold Land!  The Amy/Bolton was a cool choice.

Back to live learning and somehow, I have time to do the test in my prep block (multi-tasking).  For real -- takes three times longer to prep an online class, in case anyone was wondering.

A lot of great stuff in here, as well as quite a bit I didn't recognize. 

Track 01 - Can only assume this Abdul-Malik, again. Sounds like it, but it’s been awhile since I’ve dusted these sides off.  Wait… now that sounds like Ricky Ford.  And… somebody else.  I was looking for J-Griff, because that’s who I remember on the album.  [2nd Listen]  Oh, for crissake.  That’s Golson.  I forget which tune, but it’s defititely AA-M.  I’m more familiar with these sides than the other stuff that’s been showing up on the recent tests (and I need to fix that by getting that other stuff).  Good set starter.

Track 02 - A post-Coltrane guy — could well be Bergonzi.  The lines feel over-practiced to me.  There’s nothing ‘wrong’ with this, just seems to be missing a little attitude/purpose (and it’s in 3, so that’s usually an automatic win for me.  I want to like this more than I do.  Could be later Bobby — seems like his later work always sounds very different to me in terms of the sound of the instrument.  Bass seems very prominent in the mix — perhaps the bassist’s record?  [2nd Listen]  Not Bobby.  Not Gonz, either.  A little too bouncy in the articulation.  Right era, wrong guy.

Track 03 - Anne Murray?  Sadly, I only know John Valby’s lyrics, so this one takes me to a different place.  It’s a very strong rendition — better than the original would lead one to believe it worthy of.  Two guitarists, neither of whom is particularly familiar to me.  Definite flamenco experience for the second one.  This is a nice treatment of a tune in a genre that one would not necessarily expect.  Well done.

Track 04 - CURTIS!  Absolutely LOVE this record.  What a discovery when I happened across it.  Love the whole set.  Ray Crawford is outSTANDING on this.  I mean, really, what’s not to love?  First track on the B-side of this.[https://www.discogs.com/Curtis-Amy-Dupree-Bolton-Katanga/release/2633578]

Track 05 - All The Things You Are, but I can’t place who buy.  I like it, but want to like it more.  There are moments where it feels like it should fire during the alto solo, but it becomes almost pedantic.  The keyboard, which I can only assume is a clavinova… just no.  The phrasing could nearlly be Phineas at points, or the Amazing Hassan.  I don’t know this.  I mostly like the alto, mostly dislike the keys.  Almost sounded like a harpsicord, at first, and I was excited, because I remember my father playing me a record with harsicord as a kid.  Of course, I can’t remember what that was, but I don’t think that’s what I’m hearing here.

Track 06 - Welp, that’s Ron Carter, for sure.  Not 100% sure on the turmpet — could be Nat.  Ah… J. Griff fools no one.  Doubling down and guessing Nat, because that sure sounds like Roy McCurdy’s gallop.  Not sure the record.  Nice music from the period (sounds like it’s a late-70s date).  

Track 07 - I love Rhodes, but this is a bit too Rhodesy even for me.  :D Some strange crossover.  Almost has a Steely Dan vibe to it, only more commercial.  It’s interesting, but can’t say I love it.

Track 08 - Richard Carpenter!  What the hell happened to this song?  I’m shocked by the number of young (under 40) musicians I’ve met who do NOT know this song.  Such a great tune — especially in the neighborhood of this tempo (sorry, Miles).  This is Q’s version with Lucky being the badass he be.  It’s the opener on this [https://www.discogs.com/Quincy-Jones-This-Is-How-I-Feel-About-Jazz/release/4546251].  Lucky was one bad MF.

Track 09 - Emily!  Another song not covered enough outside of certain circles.  Something openly identifiable about that pianist, but I can’t quite get the net around it.  

Thanks for the quick pull-together, Dmitry!

I never knew they did these things live.

#1 I don't get involved in Middle Eastern politics

#2 Disliked, I don't care who it is.

#3- The great Lennie Breau. He went on the road with her, so this must be a tribute to her. Only Lennie could play those false harmonics so quickly in chords, so it's got to be Lennie.

#4 - That's got to be Ray Crawford on guitar Benson couldn't play that well if a gun was pointed at his head, and it's not Burrell or Green. Great cut!

#5- ATTYA There are so many great lines you can play on a fifth fall chain. Just listen to Bach.

#6 Great cut! If Jim said JG, then it's either him or someone on his level. Masters all!

#7- Who cares?

#8-Definitely Quincy and all the NY boys. Phil and Urbie or Cleveland take no prisoners.

#9- Some of the things he did with Emily reminded me of The Peacocks, so maybe Jimmy Rowles, or someone influenced by him? Very conservative rendition, but good.

1)  Some interesting stuff, very exotic…Middle Eastern?  Decent trumpet solo.  Now some cello.  It’s got the elements of Yusef Lateef, and maybe that’s him now on tenor. But maybe not, with the trumpet taking the spotlight near the end. 
2)  Decent solo on vibes and tenor, but just doesn’t sound very distinctive to my ears.
3)  Sounds like a couple of guys who have studied Classical.  I suppose it could be one guitarist with overdubbing.
4)  That opening sounds similar to “So What.”  Then it shifts to a hard bop feel with a good guitar solo by someone in the Wes and Kenny B. mode (but not at their level).  I don’t know…seems like guys with fine jazz chops but no originality.
5)  Bird-inspired, for sure.
6)  More respectable stuff, with the trumpeter recalling Art Farmer and Miles. But I don’t think I have any guesses.
7)  This sounds like 70’s stuff…maybe Al DiMeola. This would be a good soundtrack piece, and I mean that as a compliment.    
8)  I know this tune quite well...it’s a bop standard really…ah “Walkin.”  Sounds like a big band, and plenty of fine solos.  There must be some distinguished players on this one. It doesn’t really have the creative touch of Gil Evans.  I am thinking this is from the late 50s or early 60s.  The alto reminds me of Cannonball, if not quite as extroverted.  Nice track.  
9)  This has the touch of Bill Evans—certainly not Evans, but indebted to him. The pianist has his/her own thing going on.  The tune might be “Emily.” That’s a really nice touch.  This is someone I need to know, if I don’t already.

Edited by Milestones

1 hour ago, randyhersom said:

Internet sleuthing says Chet Atkins may be the other guitar on #3.  Yes, Anne Murray not Olivia Newton-John.

Yeah, Lennie and Chet were very close friends. When Lennie died ( police think that he was strangled and dumped in a pool) Chet couldn't even talk about it without breaking down and crying, as he did during the documentary on Lennie made by his daughter.

#2: When I hear this, I think of Joe Locke, but I don't know the album or cut.

#7: Jeff Beck - Diamond Dust from Blow By Blow

#9: Junior Mance - of course, the tune is Emily (even tho my little brain sometimes
confuses it with the Spartacus Love Theme done by John Young).

Edited by rostasi

Yeah, I've certainly heard the similarities between "Emily" and "Spartacus."

Junior Mance, eh?

And Jeff Beck on #7.  I like that album a lot, and particularly "Cause We've Ended as Lovers"--a classic.  I can't help feeling that the strings are overdone on "Diamond Dust," but still a very nice piece.

Edited by Milestones

You have collectively solved this one, aside from Track No.2, which has proven to be a tough nut to crack. Even the elusive tracks no.7 and no.9 were found out!

Nothin esoteric on no.2, except for the record itself, which, to mind knowledge is rather marginal in terms of its commercial availability. All the band members are well-known to the cognoscenti, such as this fine gathering of unlike-minded gentlemen has been from its inception.

Should I start giving away tastefully-chosen hints?

32 minutes ago, Dmitry said:

Nothin esoteric on no.2, except for the record itself, which, to mind knowledge is rather marginal in terms of its commercial availability. All the band members are well-known to the cognoscenti, such as this fine gathering of unlike-minded gentlemen has been from its inception.

Is #2 one of those Steps bands?

Finally got some time now. Let's see:

1. I love crossovers with Eastern music. Can't really identify a player but Ahmed Abdul Malik comes to mind immediatly. His music mostly remained close to the jazz tradition and that is what I am hearing here. But I do not know this record.

2. Sounds like I should know it but I don't. Music is pretty much okay but none of the musicians make a very lasting impression. 

3. Really not my cup of tea. Background music?

4. That's Curtis! Pre-ordered the Tone Poet. Could not resist the temptation.

5. All The Things You Are. But I do not know any of the musicians. Don't like the alto player. 

6. No idea. Decent track!

7. Don't know, don't want to either.

8. Walkin! That's a large ensemble. Modern big band playing. Is it Quincy Jones?

9. Some piano. Like it very much. Don't know who it is but I would like to know who it is.

Thanks Dmitry. Interesting choices and for me: pretty hard to guess!

Edited by Pim

The hints are bountiful...for the Sherlock in you!

So, No.2.

One musician's name is of the instrument he plays.

One musician's names were the names of the presidents.

One musician's name is shared with the naval hero. 

The record label is a rara avis.

On 5/6/2021 at 11:49 AM, tkeith said:

Track 02 - A post-Coltrane guy — could well be Bergonzi.  The lines feel over-practiced to me.  There’s nothing ‘wrong’ with this, just seems to be missing a little attitude/purpose (and it’s in 3, so that’s usually an automatic win for me.  I want to like this more than I do.  Could be later Bobby — seems like his later work always sounds very different to me in terms of the sound of the instrument.  Bass seems very prominent in the mix — perhaps the bassist’s record?  [2nd Listen]  Not Bobby.  Not Gonz, either.  A little too bouncy in the articulation.  Right era, wrong guy.

Well-spied, Thom!