Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jlhoots

Anthony Braxton

62 posts in this topic

59 minutes ago, jlhoots said:

adef7ea7-1d31-f125-b469-74a322ff037d.jpg

Blu-Ray CD or download only as far as I can see.  I've been waiting for Zim release for ages.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

12 CDs...

I may take a rain check on this one.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Rabshakeh said:

12 CDs...

I may take a rain check on this one.

 

 

I don't think it's 12 CDs. Sounds like it's all on 1 blu-ray DVD. $80 at Bandcamp pre-order.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

 

5 minutes ago, jlhoots said:

I don't think it's 12 CDs. Sounds like it's all on 1 blu-ray DVD. $80 at Bandcamp pre-order.

Hunh. I got some marketing email that I instantly deleted saying 12 CDs of something Braxtonian. Maybe I got my Braxton mega releases mixed up.

Edit: Oh. It's the title. I misread it and assumed because it was Braxton that it was twelve CDs of material. 

 

Edited by Rabshakeh

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Rabshakeh said:

 

Hunh. I got some marketing email that I instantly deleted saying 12 CDs of something Braxtonian. Maybe I got my Braxton mega releases mixed up.

Edit: Oh. It's the title. I misread it and assumed because it was Braxton that it was twelve CDs of material. 

 

12 performances, 11+ hours of music, one DVD or download - I believe that's correct.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, jlhoots said:

12 performances, 11+ hours of music, one DVD or download - I believe that's correct.

I see. Thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

About time Braxton got Artie Zim to help with the marketing!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Rabshakeh said:

I see. Thanks.

The 12 CD release I think you may be thinking of is the new Braxton House release of his new Standards Quartet 2020 with Alex Hawkins of this parish.  I received the email about that one today too

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

The 12 CD release I think you may be thinking of is the new Braxton House release of his new Standards Quartet 2020 with Alex Hawkins of this parish.  I received the email about that one today too

Oh! I am not going off the rails. I knew I had received it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think we're probably all crashing off the rails in the face of a Braxtonian deluge...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If I had a parallel life to listen to all of it, I would. That's a no-brainer.

Just think about it - if, in 100 years, only 1 per cent of his recorded output survives, he'll still have a higher visibility profile than Bill Barron does today.

This is not a man who records frivolously or promiscuously. This is a man who understands how historical narratives evolve and get repurposed, and he's being proactive as fuck on defending his from that.

I hope his lives forever and makes twice as many records as he already has. And I hope I have enough of this life open to listen to some of them.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Rabshakeh said:

Oh! I am not going off the rails. I knew I had received it. 

You're (mostly) correct - 13 CDs with a quartet including Alexander Hawkins playing standards - $130 is what I see.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

12 hours ago, JSngry said:

This is not a man who records frivolously or promiscuously.

Oh come on, that's exactly who he is. If anything he's diluting his "legacy" by this release incontinence. 

Edited by Д.Д.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

13 hours ago, JSngry said:

 This is a man who understands how historical narratives evolve and get repurposed, and he's being proactive as fuck on defending his from that.

What do you mean by this statement - Both with respect to how a narrative about Braxton is likely to be repurposed (and by whom) and how a release schedule of this nature would defend against such repurposing?

Do you mean that by releasing so many long records with so many extended versions of Standards Braxton plans to protect his legacy from similar attacks to those launched on his 70s work during the early 80s? (He can't play, Braxton can't swing, etc.?)

Edited by Rabshakeh

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I mean that history in a commodity, and that what is not use to the commoditizers can be made to vanish over time.

To think that Braxton thinks of times past as such an expansive, surrounding, enveloping,  reality and does not apply it to both his present and his future (which will be his history)...that seems most improbable to me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

It is certainly difficult to re-package and re-commodify 12 CDs worth of standards and an 11 hour Blue Ray. That's certain. 

Edited by Rabshakeh

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Footprints...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Happy 76th today!

Later I'll finish listening to the rest of this:

uTEW8AM.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, rostasi said:

Happy 76th today!

Later I'll finish listening to the rest of this:

uTEW8AM.jpg

How is it? I saw Zim live and thought it was great but I'm unsure about this much. How varied are the pieces?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, mjazzg said:

How is it? I saw Zim live and thought it was great but I'm unsure about this much. How varied are the pieces?

Were you at those Cafe Oto gigs? I thought they were completely mind-blowing!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

3 hours ago, Alexander Hawkins said:

Were you at those Cafe Oto gigs? I thought they were completely mind-blowing!

I was at one and my mind was blown too. Absolutely astonishing. I've been waiting for  a Zim release since, bit disappointed it's Blu-ray but will probably buy download.

I see that those nights are on this recording but I can't work out which they are from the BC page. When I do I'll buy them as each 'disc' is available separately

Edited by mjazzg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, rostasi said:

Happy 76th today!

Later I'll finish listening to the rest of this:

uTEW8AM.jpg

How does this work / sound in your DVD player (of which I still have one)??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

3 hours ago, Alexander Hawkins said:

I believe it was Compositions 418/419/420 at Oto those nights!

Thanks Alex, that's where I'll start.

Edit to add: just purchased the recording of the gig I attended

Edited by mjazzg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.