Miles Davis - Merci, Miles! Live at Vienne

mjzee

Release date June 25:

81JATWWNMOS._SL1500_.jpg

By 1991, the world’s most celebrated trumpeter could look back on five decades of musical evolution – his own, and that of the world around him. Miles Davis had found ways of marrying jazz with classical ideas, then later R&B, rock and funk, producing hybrid offspring that shaped the course of popular music and had come to define his legend. In 1985, he’d left Columbia after thirty years to sign to Warner Bros. Records, a label riding high with best-selling artists like Madonna, Van Halen and Prince, with whom he had a mutual admiration and friendship. 

-
Miles Davis’s lifelong love for France is well-documented, and in July 1991, he became a Knight of their Legion of Honour. Davis received the award from French culture minister Jack Lang, who described him as: "The Picasso of jazz." A few days before, he played this electrifying set at the Vienne Jazz Festival with the Miles Davis Group. He passed away two months later in September 1991. 
-
Miles Davis’ performance at Jazz a Vienne on July 1, 1991 became one of his final live performances before he passed away on September 28, 1991, and this previously unreleased set includes two songs written by Prince, “Penetration” and “Jailbait”.

• 2 months later...
8 hours ago, JSngry said:

It was a good band full of smart players with big ears. I'm in no hurry to get it, but it's not because of anything other than just...not doing "that" right now.

8 hours ago, mjazzg said:

I've listened a few times and think it's a reminder of just how good this band was at the time

It was much better than some bands before from the mid 80´s . 
Then, they had two keyboard players, almost non existent sax players and so on.

His last band was a smaller band. Nobody would have thought that it was near the end. Miles looked like ever since his comeback, maybe that his hair should have been otherwise. I don´t know who was his stylist, but they made a comic figure out of him. I love normal kinky afro like Miles had it in the 70´s and Mingus had it in the 70´s , but the later Miles looked like a poodle and had too wide trousers, which made him look shorter.