Volunteer for Cleaning/Transferring LP in questionable shape?

Dan Gould

I am wondering if anyone in the US has the right equipment and the willingness to receive an LP I've purchased and attempt to get me the best possible transfer.

Its super rare - Perry Lee Blackwell on Combo Records, featuring Curtis Amy - and I've been on the hunt for a very long time. At least I paid less than 1/2 of their asking price, for a "G+" copy. (And hey, that means its not supposed to skip!)

So I am thinking when I get it in hand that if there's going to be a usable transfer made, it's going to need a nice cleaning, and a rig that can power thru some marks, and I have no cleaning rig, and pennies taped to the end of the tone arm might not work so well.

So is anyone willing to help out? I would pay for return shipping. Please post or PM.

Thanks!

Dan,

I have a Record Doctor vacuum-type LP cleaner.  I'd be happy to clean your LP for you.

Right now, I'm not set up to do an analog-to-digital transfer.  If you can handle that part, I'm happy to help with the vinyl scrub.

Let me know if that meets your need.

Completely understandable if you're looking for someone to do the end-to-end process.

Edited by HutchFan

3 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

Dan,

I have a Record Doctor vacuum-type LP cleaner.  I'd be happy to clean your LP for you.

Right now, I'm not set up to do an analog-to-digital transfer.  If you can handle that part, I'm happy to help with the vinyl scrub.

Let me know is that meets your need.

Completely understandable if you're looking for someone to do the end-to-end process.

Thank you, I will keep you in mind for sure. Hopefully someone can take care of the whole thing because I don't think my rig will react as well to a G+ record as a better one might.

(Or, as Jim S. remarked to me, a 1950s rig with a 30 gram tracking force would probably play it perfectly. And might have once done so.    :g  )

Do you have a copy of Click Repair? I don't even know if it's still available, but I remember it worked very well. I used it on a couple of needle drops with a lot of noise and I could barely tell they were there after I was done. It leaves the music behind too. I'd have to look to see if I still have a working copy.

17 minutes ago, bresna said:

Do you have a copy of Click Repair? I don't even know if it's still available, but I remember it worked very well. I used it on a couple of needle drops with a lot of noise and I could barely tell they were there after I was done. It leaves the music behind too. I'd have to look to see if I still have a working copy.

Yeah, I do have Click Repair - I have found it leaves artifacts behind (especially for trumpets) but used gently can work quite well ... I figure I would have to use click repair especially if it turns out to have that persistent sizzle background noise.  I can edit out pops manually. Main thing is if it can clean up well and play thru. I'd be pretty stoked to hear the record then.

oh i see it now wow, didnt even know combo had long players (besides the 80s RELIC comps i got)

theyre talking on youtube with her grandaughter and shes still chillin'

so she the organist?  oh this is rad- good find my guy

i want one too!

can i buy yours when you find a better one some day

* is this her only LP they seem to be saying on the comments theres more but disocgs just has this, and a Black & white 78 shes on (piano)

this is a very good new west coast jazz learning expeirence

19 hours ago, Dan Gould said:

She sometimes went by Perri Lee, too:

https://www.discogs.com/artist/5846881-Perri-Lee-Trio

ah!

well that ones sure in my wheelhouse!

you think mold cover guy on ebay right now will except .99 for his $13.99 copy?  usally id just lowball enough to skirt by, but, mold, dawg............

Image 1 - PERRI LEE TRIO A Night At Count Basie's ROULETTE LP RARE mono 52080 VINYL

*wouldnt be a problem id just tape over it.  

On 5/14/2021 at 6:59 PM, jcam_44 said:

I can do it if you'd like. I got my bachelors in audio production/technology and enjoy transferring and audio restoration. PM if you'd like me to do it. Also have a record doctor to clean it. 

Thanks you may be the best option, except for the fact that you're on the west coast IIRC.  I'll be in touch, I am hopeful this will actually arrive on Monday which would be a remarkable six days from Denmark, would have to give major props to the postal services of the world for that.

8 hours ago, Dan Gould said:

Thanks you may be the best option, except for the fact that you're on the west coast IIRC.  I'll be in touch, I am hopeful this will actually arrive on Monday which would be a remarkable six days from Denmark, would have to give major props to the postal services of the world for that.

No problem. I am on the west coast. Just let me know. I'm happy to help. 

• 7 months later...
58 minutes ago, Dmitry said:

I can do the clean-up and transfer, if you still need it. 

Thank you but as it turned out that LP was in remarkably better shape than "G+" and my transfer off my cheap rig, folded down to mono and with minimal pop/click removal, turned out to be excellent.  Something I had looked for over 20 years for ... finally heard.