Johnny Hodges at Hotel Buckminster, 1952

hopkins

I came across this CD on a streaming service (Qobuz): https://chambermusik.com/wordpress/product/johnny-hodges-live-at-storyville/#link_additional_information_tab

The label, Squatty Roo, seems dodgy. The sound quality of the CD is poor, but I don't know if its the poor quality of the issue or simply the recording. 

I found that it was originally issued on this LP: https://www.discogs.com/Johnny-Hodges-And-His-Friends-At-Buckminster-Square/release/7927537

Does anyone know when this was recorded exactly (link above says 1952), and if there are better versions out there ?

Thanks.

It is doubtful. Squatty Roo is a rotten bootleg label which specializes in bootleg reissues that are typically audience recordings. I remember buying a Duke Ellington LP on the original bootleg label and saw that it is among the titles Squatty Roo has reissued on CDRs.  The only two Squatty Roo CDRs I have purchased have crappy homemade packaging and terrible sound, complete with the taper coughing and jostling around the microphone of his sureptitious recorder. Obviously this clown isn't paying royalties to anyone and keeps his expenses to a minimum, probably making a higher percentage profit than Boris Rose ever did.

On 5/14/2021 at 6:41 AM, hopkins said:

I came across this CD on a streaming service (Qobuz): https://chambermusik.com/wordpress/product/johnny-hodges-live-at-storyville/#link_additional_information_tab

The label, Squatty Roo, seems dodgy. The sound quality of the CD is poor, but I don't know if its the poor quality of the issue or simply the recording. 

I found that it was originally issued on this LP: https://www.discogs.com/Johnny-Hodges-And-His-Friends-At-Buckminster-Square/release/7927537

Does anyone know when this was recorded exactly (link above says 1952), and if there are better versions out there ?

Thanks.

This is from the Lord discography.  Apparently it was recorded in October 1951 at Hotel Kenmore in Boston.  

3 Broadcasts, "Hotel Kenmore", Boston, MA, October, 1951
  Nothing shaking but the bacon Enigma 1051Jazz Connoisseur JCC87 [CD]
  Let's have a little taste Enigma 1051Jazz Connoisseur JCC87 [CD]Suisa
    (It)JZCD361 [CD]
  The Sheik of Araby Enigma 1051Jazz Connoisseur JCC87 [CD]Suisa
    (It)JZCD361 [CD]
  Very well, thank you Enigma 1051Jazz Connoisseur JCC87 [CD]
  Coffee time       -                      -
  Tea for two       -                      -
  Sophisticated lady       -                      -
  Things ain't what they used to be       -                      -
  (Medley :)       -                      -
  I cover the waterfront       -                      -
  Bewitched, bothered and bewildered       -                      -
  Man with the horn       -                      -
  Very well, thank you (2nd version)       -                      -
  Rabbit's jump       -                      -
  On the sunny side of the street       -                      -
  The Jeep is jumpin' (*)       -                      -
  Castle rock       -                      -
  How high the moon       -                      -
Note:  (*) This title also on Musica Jazz (It)2MJP1082.
All above titles also on Squatty Roo SR-0296 [CD] titled "Johnny Hodges Live At Storyville"; this release gives the recording date as 1952 and the location as Storyville, Hotel Buckminster, Boston.